Singles (1992) (3 Viewers)

This was 1 of the first albums that I bought for myself on cassette. I loved it at the time, have fond memories of it. Will probably give it a listen at some stage. I actually think the Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam stuff has aged pretty well considering how much they were hated at the time.
I haven't watched the film since it came out. I enjoyed it at the time but I 've no desire to see it again. It's probably so dated at this stage it's nearly coming back into fashion.
Speaking of music from that era, I found myself listening to Fontanelle by Babes In Toyland over the last week. It's actually pretty enjoyable. I hadn't listened to it since I was about 12.

Reality Bites is better at getting a rise out of you than this one for sure and it has all those supporting characters that would have made a better film, this one goes for "artful"... 🤦‍♂️

Still though, you can kind of watch it as a dry-run for Friends. Real birth of the 90s stuff.

This is a total snoozefest until Birth Ritual.
Here goes:

Would? : This song always got attention but I always thought it was a bit of a drag and an average Alice In Chains tune.

Breath : Pearl Jam b-side at best.

Seasons : I think this is the reason I've never bothered with Cornell solo. Has a good middle 8 though.

Battle Of Evermore : Hate hate hate it. (in all forms) Couldn't make it through.

Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns : My old girlfriend in the 80s loved Mother Love Bone from the start, so this was an oldie for me in 92. Andrew Wood's Ian Astburyisms haven't aged well. It's an ok song, never need to hear it again.

Birth Ritual : Now we're cookin'. I remember this from some Soundgarden b side. Cool song with Cornell hitting some hilarious/awesome high notes. Birth Ritual is better than a lot of stuff on SG albums.

State Of Love And Trust : A good Pearl Jam song. They're listenable when they rock out like this. Brilliant guitar solo towards the end.

This May Be Love : I'm not a Hendrix guy. I like this though.

Nearly Lost You : This ages the best out of this lot. It has a lot to do with the vocals and the lack of heart wrenching clenched fist emotion.

Drown : I loved the Pumpkins first 3 albums and this fits right in with all that and it's deadly. I seem to remember this song having a long drawn out ending with tones of feedback. The version I just listened to faded out and I'm disappointed

There are chord progressions and guitar tones on this album that are a bit too close for comfort to moments of what my band in the 90s were doing. A few cringy moments.

This is a total snoozefest until Birth Ritual.
Here goes:

Would? : This song always got attention but I always thought it was a bit of a drag and an average Alice In Chains tune.

Breath : Pearl Jam b-side at best.

Seasons : I think this is the reason I've never bothered with Cornell solo. Has a good middle 8 though.

Battle Of Evermore : Hate hate hate it. (in all forms) Couldn't make it through.

Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns : My old girlfriend in the 80s loved Mother Love Bone from the start, so this was an oldie for me in 92. Andrew Wood's Ian Astburyisms haven't aged well. It's an ok song, never need to hear it again.

Birth Ritual : Now we're cookin'. I remember this from some Soundgarden b side. Cool song with Cornell hitting some hilarious/awesome high notes. Birth Ritual is better than a lot of stuff on SG albums.

State Of Love And Trust : A good Pearl Jam song. They're listenable when they rock out like this. Brilliant guitar solo towards the end.

This May Be Love : I'm not a Hendrix guy. I like this though.

Nearly Lost You : This ages the best out of this lot. It has a lot to do with the vocals and the lack of heart wrenching clenched fist emotion.

Drown : I loved the Pumpkins first 3 albums and this fits right in with all that and it's deadly. I seem to remember this song having a long drawn out ending with tones of feedback. The version I just listened to faded out and I'm disappointed

There are chord progressions and guitar tones on this album that are a bit too close for comfort to moments of what my band in the 90s were doing. A few cringy moments.

no paul westerberg?

Reality Bites is better at getting a rise out of you than this one for sure and it has all those supporting characters that would have made a better film, this one goes for "artful"... 🤦‍♂️

Still though, you can kind of watch it as a dry-run for Friends. Real birth of the 90s stuff.
God, Reality Bites was fucking terrible. Even at the time. I can only imagine how Singles has aged. Good point about it being a precursor to Friends.
Listened to the soundtrack earlier. It's aged. Some of the stuff was way better than i remember, namely the Paul Westerberg songs. And Screaming Trees are still awesome

I've never even heard of this movie - should I watch?

It's a fluffy chick flick of the most derivative kind. A cash in dressed up as counter culture.
The "alternative" girl just wants a guy who says "god bless you" when she sneezes. In the end Matt Dillon does just that and true love wins.

It's a fluffy chick flick of the most derivative kind. A cash in dressed up as counter culture.
The "alternative" girl just wants a guy who says "god bless you" when she sneezes. In the end Matt Dillon does just that and true love wins.
You left out the VIDEO DATING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back