Simon Harris (1 Viewer)

I know our lot are far from the Erdogans and the Orbans but it's still dizzying to see how many people are backing Michael Ring's assertion that Fine Gael is too far left.

I know our lot are far from the Erdogans and the Orbans but it's still dizzying to see how many people are backing Michael Ring's assertion that Fine Gael is too far left.

far left for Michael Ring probably just means people who don't call lunch dinner, or their dinner tea.
He never struck me as someone with a strongly defined ideology!

It's very yank political spectrum coded, not hating the gays and being mostly fine with the idea of abortion. Lads it's the distaste for the poors/love of the wealthy that makes your party right wing.

I'd say Michael Ring is right that most traditional Fine Gael voters (i.e. bourgeois townies) don't give a fuck about late night pub openings or hate speech legislation - those things are clearly aimed at young voters and thumpeders

The referendum has likely sunk the hate speech bill for good or ill

I mean he's right, insofar as FIne Gael is not the party of social liberalisation, or it should not be their focus
They're supposed to be the crowd incentivising economic growth, which should pay for social housing
At least they know they have to do that

1711371437873.png

1711371477890.png

I mean he's right, insofar as FIne Gael is not the party of social liberalisation, or it should not be their focus
They're supposed to be the crowd incentivising economic growth, which should pay for social housing

View attachment 18332

View attachment 18333

I'd say the ringer has been in a few lock ins in his time...

Would disagree about the social liberalization.. the urban and rural wings of FG have always been fiscally conservative, but from the 80s/Fitzgerald era there has been a strand of social liberalism in the party.

I'd say the ringer has been in a few lock ins in his time...

Would disagree about the social liberalization.. the urban and rural wings of FG have always been fiscally conservative, but from the 80s/Fitzgerald era there has been a strand of social liberalism in the party.
I think you're right
Just a matter of focus
The big legislation they have coming up shouldn't be some divisive social charter, they should be talking about getting apprenticehsips going and how to enable retrofit startups and all that gear.
If I am reading him right

The weird thing about that and 2 major socially progressive referendums happening under Varadkar's watch is that Varadkar has slagged Garret Fitzgerald in the past.

Going back to the 60's FG ran on a platform of "The Just Society" which was an idea the old guidance teacher in my school claimed to have come up with, to hear him tell it the party hadn't really a clue but they thought it sounded like a good slogan. He never made it to the Dail himself but ended up as a Senator. Some descendent of Daniel O'Connell.

The weird thing about that and 2 major socially progressive referendums happening under Varadkar's watch is that Varadkar has slagged Garret Fitzgerald in the past.

Going back to the 60's FG ran on a platform of "The Just Society" which was an idea the old guidance teacher in my school claimed to have come up with, to hear him tell it the party hadn't really a clue but they thought it sounded like a good slogan. He never made it to the Dail himself but ended up as a Senator. Some descendent of Daniel O'Connell.

I don't think that's entirely fair (at least in the case of some of the fitzgearld era folks who genuinely seems to want to pull ireland away from the church etc...), but it did cause party divisions etc. history repeating perhaps.

I don't think that's entirely fair (at least in the case of some of the fitzgearld era folks who genuinely seems to want to pull ireland away from the church etc...), but it did cause party divisions etc. history repeating perhaps.

Sure if you can't make yourself the hero in a story you're telling schoolchildren what's the point?

I dunno if growth is what we need tbh

In 2021 we had the 2nd highest GDP per capita in the world (if you exclude principalities like Monaco)

The Central Bank switched to using GNI instead of GDP in 2017 cos our GDP is so skewed by our tax-haven status but even then we're very near the top

It's not lack of money that's causing our housing crisis

View attachment 18332

View attachment 18333
There’s still the conversation therapy bill coming this year, so we’ll see how he stands with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back