sigh (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
i still feel let down and dejected by these sorts of things. oh well. gang of four, you make me sad.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just found out that a girl I live with's Dad used to be in a band with two members of Gang of Four... I know this isn't really relevant to the above, but I'm in shock!

So, this thread isn't about
sigh_cover.jpg

sigh-japan.jpg

awww:(

It was sometime in the late '90s when it stopped being cool to not sell your music to advertisers. I dunno what hastened the change.

I wouldnt say Gang of Four are that well off to be turning down a wage from wherever.
I actually would'nt be at all surprised if they were skint tbh.

Honestly, caring about musicians selling their songs for an ad is so 1998... I mean, sure, wouldn't it be great it we all just got paid for being creative, but we don't... As long as it's not advertising something offensive to me and the people involved are cool with it, why shouldn't I be cool with it?

Honestly, caring about musicians selling their songs for an ad is so 1998... I mean, sure, wouldn't it be great it we all just got paid for being creative, but we don't... As long as it's not advertising something offensive to me and the people involved are cool with it, why shouldn't I be cool with it?

i'm well aware of the supposedly passé nature of giving a shit about these things. we're all hypocrites in our own ways.

that said, the general line of reasoning you're giving was not something i found convincing in 1998, and i still don't. if anything, it insults the intelligence of all concerned -- it's a cynical, flimsy, disappointing line of reasoning. but, each to their own.

I wouldnt say Gang of Four are that well off to be turning down a wage from wherever.
I actually would'nt be at all surprised if they were skint tbh.

maybe so.

to be honest, if there's any explanation of this that casts gang of four in a good light, it's the fact that e.m.i. own the rights to the music used in the ad, and it may well have been used without gang of four's permission.

i'd like to think that's true, but i don't know.

the fact that the song's lyrics are about consumerism just gives the whole thing a slightly surreal feel.

maybe so.

to be honest, if there's any explanation of this that casts gang of four in a good light, it's the fact that e.m.i. own the rights to the music used in the ad, and it may well have been used without gang of four's permission.

i'd like to think that's true, but i don't know.

the fact that the song's lyrics are about consumerism just gives the whole thing a slightly surreal feel.

Ah sure it's your own fault for watching tv. We're supposed to be living in our own world of art, sex and smugness, not viewing the idiot box.

Incidentally i've never listened to gang of four although I did see them live that time.

i'm well aware of the supposedly passé nature of giving a shit about these things. we're all hypocrites in our own ways.

that said, the general line of reasoning you're giving was not something i found convincing in 1998, and i still don't. if anything, it insults the intelligence of all concerned -- it's a cynical, flimsy, disappointing line of reasoning. but, each to their own.

I'm not sure how you get "cynical" out of a band making money with their music?

I think, if you just look around you, you'll see no one is turning down these opportunities these days because if your band is a professional band, it needs to make money to survive.

I think, in fact, that 99.9% of bands are pretty willing to sell there music and gain exposure to a whole new audience. Even if that means helping sell videogames.

But like you said, we just disagree.

I used to agree with you by the way, but I changed my mind when I realised that the artists themselves are almost always onboard with this practice.

So.

I'm not sure how you get "cynical" out of a band making money with their music?

'making money' is mentioned here like as if there is only one way to make money.

a band can make money by doing a tour. or a band can make money by hawking its legacy to microsoft.

if these two activities seem identical to you, so be it; that's a cynical view. i'd view them as qualitatively different.

I think, if you just look around you, you'll see no one is turning down these opportunities these days because if your band is a professional band, it needs to make money to survive.

I think, in fact, that 99.9% of bands are pretty willing to sell there music and gain exposure to a whole new audience. Even if that means helping sell videogames.

But like you said, we just disagree.

without wanting to sound like a stuck record: i find this take on things completely unconvincing and self-serving. so, yep, we disagree. don't get me wrong: gang of four are welcome to do whatever they want with their music. but, if what they want to do is sell their music to microsoft, there's no way that's not just a sad, grubby, disappointing decision.

I used to agree with you by the way, but I changed my mind when I realised that the artists themselves are almost always onboard with this practice.

So.

i was curious about that in this case. after googling around, i emailed a writer called roy christopher, a friend of dave allen, gang of four's former bass player. according to roy, dave had nothing to do with this and was 'nonplussed' about the whole thing. however, he's had nothing to do with the band since 2008.

maybe the others were in on it. i'd like to think they weren't, but i don't know.

without wanting to sound like a stuck record: i find this take on things completely unconvincing and self-serving. so, yep, we disagree. don't get me wrong: gang of four are welcome to do whatever they want with their music. but, if what they want to do is sell their music to microsoft, there's no way that's not just a sad, grubby, disappointing decision.

I'm wavering a bit on this now myself. Not that anyone is ever going to offer me money to use my music in an ad, but ... well, I'm finding it harder to see the distinction between selling different kinds of labour. I sell 8.30-5 Mon-Fri to my employer as it is (plus 1.5 hours commute each way) - the majority of my waking hours in the prime of my life. I can still feel the difference between that and selling 3 mins of music to Microsoft in my heart, but I'm finding it harder to see it in my head

Not that I don't feel disappointed too, but for me it's more about ... well, the fact that the rest of the world just didn't care about the compelling logic of my arguments, and I've been the one that's had to adjust rather than it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back