Shure SM7 (1 Viewer)

mark

M&S Wine Gums FTW
thinking of getting one as a sort of catch-all mic. supposed to sound good on a lot of stuff (vocals, loud guitar amps, bass cabs, bass drums) but I'd like to get the opinions folk who have used them. also, will i need some sort of mic pre to get the best out of it, as i've read in some places?

I love SM7s.
They've yet to not work quite nicely on a vocal that I've tried them on.

Also great on amps and loads of other crap.

They do usually need a bit more gain than most mics, which is why people talk about you needing a decent preamp for them.

What pre-amp were you using ann post?
I got an ART tube MP last week, and now I'm wishing I had two.
It's got 60dB of gain which is pretty cool also.

Are you planning recording with the 57 Mark? How much gain do you have at your disposal in your current setup?

I'd give one of my balls for a nice mic pre amp...makes a HUGE difference...them little tube ones are where its fucking at.If I had a few quid thats the first thing I'd buy.

Not that dear on thomann either...

You'd only need it for vox I reckon though with a 57...micing loud amps it wouldnt be necessary imo.

What pre-amp were you using ann post?
I got an ART tube MP last week, and now I'm wishing I had two.
It's got 60dB of gain which is pretty cool also.

I have the same ART one. a mate just got the studio v3 version but i didnt get a go on it yet, although i assume its the same with a few preset eq's stuck in.

regarding mic's - another catch all mic is the sennheiser e 815 or similar, for a 'cheap' mic i've gotten more then i expected from it. would be an easy match for a sm58.

They are really nice mics for vocals BUT I would go for a sennheiser MD421 instead.
The SM7 just isn't as versatile. SM7 definitely has the edge for vocals but as an allrounder the MD421 kills it.

I've read that the MD421 hand in hand with a SM57 is a great combo for micing guitar amps.

I know Michael Jackson used an older version of the SM7 for a ton of the vocals on thriller.
And in that Metallica documentary the singer is always using one to record. I think he used a 57 at some point aswell but it's nearly always the SM7 he's using for vocals.

I like how this thread jumped from SM7 to SM57 within four posts.

Oh!We're talking about SM7's! Deadly fucking mics no doubt about it.

They are really nice mics for vocals BUT I would go for a sennheiser MD421 instead.
The SM7 just isn't as versatile. SM7 definitely has the edge for vocals but as an allrounder the MD421 kills it.

ending up getting my hands on an MD421. it kicks the SM57 ass on loud guitars for sure.

i often use an sm7 thru empirical labs mike-e pre. turn the input saturation on the pre to warm and take a few db off with the comp and you've got lovely rich rock vocals goin on.

MikeE-xlarge.jpg

Probably unless someone bought it for you and took it out of it's packaging boxed it up and marked it as a gift.. Still the duty on something that cost 21 euro shouldn't be much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back