Shock World Service #053: Obelisk High by Chequerboard (1 Viewer)

Shock

Website
www.stateofshock.net
Shock World Service #053
Obelisk High by Chequerboard
03/10/13 Dublin, Ireland

Episode 53 is a collection of autumnal audio taking in sparse soundscapes & fractured electronics from the Dubliner who's new album 'The Unfolding' is available now from: chequerboard.bandcamp.com/

Podcast Link:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1. J.R. Alexander – Memories
The beautifully produced opening track from an EP released in 2012 by Jerome Alexander of Message to Bears featuring the sounds of the cups & saucers jostling about as patterned percussion.

2. Holden – The Illuminations (Excerpt)
A brief tumble through the stars via an excerpt from James Holden’s new album 'The Inheritors'.

3. Clark – Soft Eruptor
One of five tracks from the Iradelphic sessions sent out to people on Clarks mail out list recently & described as some extra material from his recent release 'Iradelphic', it contained some of my favourite Clark tracks ever. The blurred use of Martina Topley Birds vocals here envelop the guitar beautifully.

4. Recomposed by Max Richter – Autumn 3 (Vivaldi, The Four Seasons)
A brief striking piece from Max Richter’s interesting Four Seasons recomposition project.

5. Girls Names – Pittura Infamante
The key track from the brilliant LP 'New Life' by Belfast four piece band Girls Names.

6. Wax Stag – Fantasy Gay
A lovely leisurely piece of electro pop from the 80s referencing synth maestro Robert Lee aka Wax Stag.

7. Tim Hecker – No Drums
Ghostly, poignant, hopeful and bleak, this piece from Tim Heckers amazing Ravedeath 1972 album is the audio equivalent of a haunting.

8. Chequerboard – Obelisk
A brief track from my new album 'The Unfolding' out now on Lazybird records. www.chequerboard.com

9. Christ – One Sunny Cloudy Day
A melting glacier of nostalgia under a blanket of surface noise from the elusive Scottish electronic artist Christ. The accompanying video by Stefan Larsson depicting two mysterious figures mirroring the movements of robotic trees in a snowy realm is a masterpiece.

10. Bark Psychosis – All Different Things
A beautiful exercise in the extremes of quiet & loud from English shape shifting post rock/musical project Bark Psychosis.

11. Red House Painters – Sundays & Holidays
An old tumbling autumnal gem from Red House Painters 1994 Shock Me EP.

12. Ethernet – Current (Loscil Remix)
Scott Morgan remixes Ethernet creating a stunningly vast realm of icey tones. Listen out for the distant bombs going off.

13. ilex – ilk
Great piece from Dublin based Holly McGowans ilex project recalling Susumu Yokota via Orbital.

14. Colleen – Break Away
An interesting vocal montage from Cecile Schotts brilliant new album ' The Weighing Of The Heart.

15. Library Tapes - Sun Peeking Through
The beautifully poignant title track from Swede David Wenngren’s recent album as Library Tapes.

16. Ametsub - Opening
Above the clouds time with this strident gem from little known Tokyo-based Japanese artist Ametsub.

17. Blanck Mass - Sundown
Music to watch stars explode to would be a fitting description for the music of Benjamin John Power, one of the founding members of Fuck Buttons.
I discovered his music recently via the possession scene in the brilliant 'A Field in England' by film maker Ben Wheatley.

18. Clark – Guy Fawkes/Night Night
A hungry robot bird beckons in an unspooling guitar loop in this intriguing vignette from the Iradelphic Sessions mailout EP.

19. Luigi Boccherini – La Musica Notturna (Excerpt)
I couldn't resist finishing on this charming snippit of Boccherini. Playful, charming but hinting at so much more.

Our entire archive of podcasts since 2007 has also been uploaded to:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Featuring contributions from B-Movie Lightning, Mano Le Tough, Tim Sweeney (Beats In Space NYC), Joakim, Cian Ó Cíobháin, Padded Cell, Jon Averill, Rory Phillips (Durrr, London), Nadia Kasabia, Diskjøkke, Vision Air + more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back