Shock World Service #042... (1 Viewer)

Shock

Website
www.stateofshock.net
[IMG=100x100]http://thumped.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=7291&d=1317908616[/IMG]

Shock World Service #042
'The Shoelace That Snapped ' by Jon Averill

Shock World Service #040
'The Shoelace That Snapped' by Jon Averill
Get all Shock World Service Episodes from: iTunes | Soundcloud | Feedburner

This month's episode could be described as a 22 track juggernaut of Autumnal anthems from Jon Averill. If you'd like to hear a little about why he's picked each track then there's info embedded in the download from iTunes & is also available to read when you're listening on Soundcloud or alternatively you can read them on Facebook, you got options.

Music comes from Aidan John Moffat, Bryan Ferry, Spiritualized, Joe Goddard, John Maus, Dennis Wilson + rarely heard track from John Cooper Clarke 'Beasley Boulevard' & more.

01 John Leyton - Johnny Remember Me
02 Os Ritmistas Brasileiros - Samba 2° Andamento
03 Aidan John Moffat - Nothing In Common
04 Spiritualized - The Ballad Of Ricky Lee
05 Charles Dodge - The Days Are Ahead
06 Bryan Ferry - Which Way To Turn
07 Joe Goddard - Gabrielle
08 Chrome Sparks - <3 & Soul
09 Tim Key - Waterloo
10 Lee Hazlewood - My Autumns Done Come
11 John Maus - Believer
12 Dennis Wilson - Time
13 Max Richter - Journey 3
14 John Cooper Clarke - Beasely Boulevard
15 Harry Partch - Life Is Too Precious To Spend It With Important People
16 The Antlers - Kettering
17 Glenn Branca - Lesson No. 1
18 Nat King Cole - Autumn Leaves
19 Susumo Yakotta - Imagine
20 Spiritualized - 100 Bars
21 The Aphex Twin - Lichen
22 Charles Bukowski - The Shoelace (Extract)

[/INDENT]

Attachments

• #042.jpg
    #042.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 162
Shock World Service #42: The Shoelace That Snapped by Jon Averill
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/shock-world-service/sets/shock-world-service
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/shock-world-service/id372945781
Feedburner: http://feeds.feedburner.com/shockworldservice

01 John Leyton - Johnny Remember Me
The more eagle-eared among you will recognize the reverb-doused production techniques of Joe Meek all over this track. The vocal, which recalls the haunting of a young man by his dead lover comes from 60’s croon-dynamo John Leyton.

02 Os Ritmistas Brasileiros - Samba 2° Andamento
Just a little samba from Os Ritmistas Brasileiro from the 1972 album ‘Batucada Fantástica’.

03 Aidan John Moffat - Nothing In Common
Former Arab Strapper Aidan John Moffat pens this comic interlude which reminds me I’ve never seen Grease. One day, one day...

04 Spiritualized - The Ballad Of Ricky Lee
This track is taken from Spiritualized’s ‘Amazing Grace’, which is their most disjointed (worst) album. Another ballad of self pity from Jason Pierce, the likes of which make ‘Ladies & Gentleman We Are Floating In Space’ still among my all time favorite albums ever made.

05 Charles Dodge - The Days Are Ahead
This is taking from a 1976 album entitled ‘Synthesized Voices’, a work that used analysis and re-synthesis of human voices.

06 Bryan Ferry - Which Way To Turn
Its the height of summer ‘81. A middle aged man from Washington, County Durham is driving aimlessly around Los Angeles. The final embers of night fade as the dawn begins to break. He feverishly flips between talk radio stations, eventually settling half way between two, the dialogue from both overlaps amid white noise which bubbles and pops like water boiling in a pot.

07 Joe Goddard - Gabrielle
It only seems like a short while ago when Hot Chip seemed to rule the world. They appear to be on hiatus now as respective members concentrate on solo ventures. Joe Goddard’s current output is the most accomplished so far. His excellent Two Bears project fuses elements of seminal Chicago house records with the pop sensibilities that Hot Chip employed so readily.
‘Gabrielle’ follows a similar formula but uses a garage groove to underpin the supremely catchy vocal.

08 Chrome Sparks -
I heard this on Tom Ravenscroft’s show (or ‘John Peel’s son’ to give him his full name). There’s a beautiful & almost naive simplicity to this record that reminds me little bit of Warp Records act Plone. My main concern with choosing a track like this for the podcast is that it might end up on a tampon commercial. And yes it is spelled like that.

09 Tim Key - Waterloo
Tim Key may be more familiar to people as ‘Sidekick Simon’ on the Alan Partridge web series ‘Mid Morning Matters’. This track is taken from the album ‘With A String Quartet. On A Boat’ which confused people – being a mix of poetry, music, comedy & also by being released on Angular Recordings. Home to acts like These New Puritans & the amazing ‘Cold Waves & Minimal Electronics’ compilation.

10 Lee Hazlewood - My Autumns Done Come
Certainly not the first Shock World Service appearance from the late Barton Lee Hazlewood, & very likely not the last. Like the track from Nat King Cole which appears later in the podcast this Autumnally titled & themed track was originally intended for a summer podcast. My crippling neurosis saw the podcast drift into early October making the track sit a lot more comfortably alongside brown leaves and grey skys. Cowboy psychedelia at its best.

11 John Maus - Believer
Glorious glistening cathedral pop from philosophy professor/composer John Maus. I’d describe the sound of ‘Believer’ as akin to listening to a Simple Minds concert whilst locked in the toilet.

12 Dennis Wilson - Time
My favorite track from Dennis Wilson’s album ‘Pacific Ocean Blue’, which in recent years has gone from being largely ignored to being considered the best solo album released by a Beach Boy.
Before picking this album up from the N4 Library on Blackstock Road (plug) I had previously only heard the track ‘Holy Man’ which had the vocals of Foo Fighter Taylor Hawkins poured over it like a tramp pissing on a soldier’s grave.
‘Time’ is enhanced by the clear frailties in Wilson’s voice, starting out as a soft lament before exploding in a multi-layered barrage of instrumentation.

13 Max Richter - Journey 3
A big Shock World Service favourite is German born British composer Max Richter. This piece 'Journey 3’ is taken from his his album 'Infra' which was part of a Royal Ballet-commissioned collaboration with dancer Wayne McGregor & artist Julian Opie. This track serves to subtly underpin the next...

14 John Cooper Clarke - Beasely Boulevard
This is a never heard before recording of John Cooper Clarke from one of our Shock parties back in 2008. As Cooper Clarke doesn’t release any new material these days this track will probably be new to many of you. ‘Beasely Boulevard’, as fans of his work may have guessed is a follow up to his track ‘Beasley Street’, and quite a fine one at that.

15 Harry Partch - Life Is Too Precious To Spend It With Important People
Another snatch of sagacity from Harry Partch, an extraordinary gentleman of whom I would advocate more research being done, by you.

16 The Antlers - Kettering
A histrionic piece from Brooklyn’s The Antlers guides us neatly out of our spoken word section and onto a vaguely post-rock one.

17 Glenn Branca - Lesson No. 1
Glenn Branca’s ‘Lesson No. 1’ segues relatively smoothly out of the Antlers track, which actually may seem odd to anyone familiar with his music, known for using unorthodox tunings on his avant garde recordings. ‘Lesson No. 1’ was released on the highly regarded 99 Records label and shop in 1980.

18 Nat King Cole - Autumn Leaves
I picked this track way back when I started the podcast many many months ago, I was going to say its a far more appropriate time to include the track now, but at the time of writing its 28 degrees in London with the sun splitting the trees. Podcast track listings - another victim of global warming.

19 Susumo Yakotta - Imagine
Imagine there's no Heaven, It's relatively easy if you try. Thankfully not a cover of John Lennon but a track taken from Susumo Yakotta’s album ‘The Grinning Cat’ which I vividly remember being soundtrack for a trip to London in 2001.
Much of the music that becomes precious to us is often that which evokes certain memories and associations when heard many years later.

20 Spiritualized - 100 Bars
This second Spiritualized outing on this episode, though more of a spoken word curiosity than a fully fledged track. ‘100 Bars’ is taken from 2003’s ‘The Complete Works Volume. 1’.

21 The Aphex Twin - Lichen
Richard James describes the album ‘Selected Ambient Works - Volume 2’, from which this track ‘Lichen’ is taken as being "like standing in a power station on acid".

22 Charles Bukowski - The Shoelace (Extract)
The poem from which this month’s podcast title is taken comes from Charles Bukowski who Time Magazine described as a "laureate of the American lowlife".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back