SHOCK >> Matt Berry (Mighty Boosh/IT Crowd) 22/11/07 (1 Viewer)

Shock

Website
www.stateofshock.net
Forum-Header_1-1.jpg

Matt Berry is among the new bread of British actors and comedians
currently filling our airwaves. Formerly cult shows are now breaking through
the mainstream like The IT Crowd and The Mighty Boosh which
has a huge following after only just two series shown mainly on BBC4. (Series
3 starts this week!)

Fans of The Mighty Boosh will know him best as Dixon Bainbridge.
Eccentric explorer and owner of the Zooniverse and the arch nemesis of Howard
Moon ('and his ugly girlfriend Vince Noir!') Matt also wrote and starred in the BBC
comedy series Snuff Box (For which he composed the music) as well as featuring
in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Man to Man with Dean Learner, Steve
Coogan's Saxondale, AD/BC 'A Rock Opera' and can currently be seen in Channel
4's The IT Crowd,

Matt is a master of musical overstatement and as part of this tour he will perform
a selection of compositions from these shows and also from his latest album titled
Opium! where the melodic and the insane are mixed for a brilliantly for an odd
but very entertaining show.

For more info & ticket comps join our mailing list by clicking right here.

Here's Matt in action:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Advance tickets available from now Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs,
Sound Cellar or buy direct online from here
Crawdaddy, Harcourt St, D2. Doors 7.45pm

Coming Soon:
D.F.A Records Night with Shit Robot & Juan Maclean
Crawdaddy, December 7th
Shock Christmas Party with The Black Ghosts + more TBA
Crawdaddy/Lobby Bar. December 21st

NEW interview with Matt (who was absolutely lovely)
By, er, me. Out today in the Kildare Nationalist if you're in the area...

By Aoife Barry

“It wouldn’t be anything without them. It’s all that matters. I know a lot of people say it: (adopts faux posh voice) ‘it’s all that matters’, but it absolutely is. It means everything.” Matt Berry, musician, comedian and performer, star of cult comedies Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace, Snuff Box and The Mighty Boosh, is talking about his fans. Matt’s fans are a dedicated bunch, and it’s no wonder he appreciates them so much. The imminent DVD releases of his rock-opera AD/BC, and the sketch series Snuff Box - which he wrote with friend and fellow comic Rich Fulcher - are in a large part due to the online petitioning by fans who believed the shows deserved to be released into the public domain.
There’s something about Matt’s work which inspires cult success and dedicated fandom. It could be because he’s a gifted comedy writer and a musician, and music is an integral part in all the shows he has done; it could be because the characters he play always have brilliant, unforgettable lines; it could be because he sports one of the fruitiest voices in British comedy.
Curiously though – especially in light of his recent nomination for Best Newcomer at the British Comedy Awards, which he earned for playing Douglas Reynholm in Channel 4’s The IT Crowd - many of the shows in which Matt starred went almost unnoticed when they first graced our TV screens. “It’s weird,” he muses. “Most things that I have done have gone out to sod all - so it’s good that things kind of take hold in the years after.” While Darkplace is now considered to be one of the greatest cult British comedies ever, Matt is right – at the time, not many people watched it. These days however, you’ll find that fans find the DVD of the series rewards repeated views. That’s something which Matt says he wanted to happen. “Often with sketch DVDs you watch them once, and don’t watch them again,” he says. “But I wanted to do something that you wanted to watch again and again. If it was me, I would want to make a sketch show that you would want to watch again.”
With Snuff Box, the series that was commissioned by BBC 3 in 2006, Matt and Rich did just that. “There are still things in it now that people don’t notice. There are scenes on the street where I am having a conversation with Rich, but if you look closely, I’m also there in the background,” laughs Matt. “I am drawn to things like that.” Snuff Box was a curious, multi-layered show, where Matt played a quintessential Englishman and Rich Fulcher played a boorish American – both kept their ‘real life’ names in the show – who worked as hangmen. “I had a big fight with some people where they would say ‘you can’t start a show by hanging someone!’ I was thinking ‘well, it hasn’t been done before’. Hanging can be funny,” says Matt. Indeed, such an odd concept is made hilarious by the deadpan way in which it is approached.
When it comes to music, Matt is similarly drawn to dark subjects. “Well, [Opium] was basically about the horrors of the city, that was the basic concept,” he explains about the album which he released in 2005. “And the new album is about the horrors of the countryside - the kind of evil that can exist in the countryside.”
Irish fans will get to hear tracks from Opium, and hopefully the forthcoming album, when Matt plays Crawdaddy in Dublin on November 22. “I can’t wait,” says Matt. “I’ve wanted to come to Ireland since the start.”

Matt Berry plays the Crawdaddy in Dublin on Thursday November 22. Tickets cost €16 and are available from Ticketmaster.

I remember having to send ads to the leader, no post, no email, you had to fax them the artwork and their fax machine only printed solid black, no tones, no greys.
That was only 6 years ago!

Darkplace is still the greatest. GREATEST.

All the rain yesterday caused all the posters up on the IPA sites to get well wet and pasty, which meant...

BOOM! i nicked me one of these!

Matt.jpg

I finally got the DVD last week, the extra features are fucking amazing, how they can keep a straight face during the interview part is beyond me.

I have a Darkplace quotes thing on my facebook :) never fails to cheer me up!

'You're the most sensitive man I know - and I know God'

"We're doing all we can but I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now"

:D:D:D

All the rain yesterday caused all the posters up on the IPA sites to get well wet and pasty, which meant...

BOOM! i nicked me one of these!

Matt.jpg

Those posters cost like 1.30 to print!

We'll be giving away a double pass for this on our blog during the week
- www.stateofshock.net/blog.

+ Anyone thinking of heading to the DFA party in Crawdaddy on the
7th mail us at [email protected] and we'll put you on the 10eu
guestlist.

ta

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back