SHERLOCK - (the new BBC Holmes series) (1 Viewer)

Ferox13

Anyone catch the new 21st century adaption of Sherlock Holmes made by the BBC and written by one of the Doctor Who guys.

article-1280085814138-0A88F0AF000005DC-125996_636x300.jpg

SPOILERS:

I was incredibly impressed with the 1st episode (bu then again I'm a Holmes Junkie and only yesterday I was episodes of SH in the 22nd Century :)

Once you get over the initial setting and Holmes use of new technology you'll realise its (so far) a pretty faithful adaption of the original cannon. The pilot 'A Study in Pink) did drop the Mormon angle and interduce a newer (and more plausable today) motive...

The a number of little touches I liked:

Watson still is an Ex-Army Doc who was injured in Afghanistan.

The introduction (though predictable) of the great Mycroft.

Holmes bitching about not being able to smoke in London and the case being a '3 patch problem'

The only bit that slightly erked me was the use of onscreen graphics to explain things though I'll prolly get used to this...

There seems to be only 4 episodes in the season but I'm sure they'll continue if it does well.

Watched this last night. I thought it was deadly. Some of it was really nicely done. I liked that they used the music from the Guy Richie movie (second-best thing about that movie, after the production design). Martin Freeman is terrific - his delivery of some of the lines is brilliant. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was a bit weird-looking, kind of like someone slapped a wig on one of the creatures from Pan's Labyrinth, but I guess that's just something I'll get used to.

I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was a bit weird-looking, kind of like someone slapped a wig on one of the creatures from Pan's Labyrinth, but I guess that's just something I'll get used to.

Jaysus you are correct....

Martin Freeman is great as Watson (I loved Ian Hart in the role too).

Jeremy Brett will always be the definitive Holmes for me but this is definally a great addition to the series of adaptations....

I'm interested to see how they deal with Holmes' drug addiction....

I am sure this will spawn epic fan fiction. Was too long for my liking but by the end I was shouting "Kiss! KIISSS!" at the TV and aww-ing at the flirting.

wat??? Sherlock Holmes was amazing!

I actually liked Sherlock Holmes (for what it was) - it was fun and I thought Jude Law made a good Watson. It was hard to deal with the romance with Adler and the bromance with Watson.

Mark Strong was a great villian in too..

it was a bit too long
Yeah, I watched the second half of it again with whatsherface. It definitely sagged a bit towards the end. The whole taxi-chase thing was a bit too drawn out, and the conversation with the cabbie was, mostly, zzzzzzz. Still, enjoyed it a lot.

Just a bit of a shame it's only a three-part series. There *might* be more, but still, not for aaaages anyway.

Can't wait for the episode where he meets Dr Who.

To be fair - I do feel that the later reincarnations of did draw alot of Brett's interpetation of Holmes.

On a side note 2 former Doctor Who's did also play Sherlock Holmes :)

I think they should Stop Doing Sherlock Holmes Wrong. First that stupid Guy Ritchie film where they turn him into an action hero, now this modern day rubbish. Bah, there was none of this in my day.

I think they should Stop Doing Sherlock Holmes Wrong. First that stupid Guy Ritchie film where they turn him into an action hero, now this modern day rubbish. Bah, there was none of this in my day.

I like the Modern day adaptation - I really don't think it would compare to the near perfect Jeremy Brett one if they set it at the turn of the 19th/20th century

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back