Shay Given (1 Viewer)

Richie

He's decided to call it a day with Ireland:
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0813/1224322127713.html

I hoped he'd stick around for one more campaign, but you can hardly begrudge him with the great service
he gave down the years and the number of injuries he's had lately. It's a sickener the way he bowed out,
the Euros must have been a cruel experience for him really after waiting so long to get to another tournament
and then not being able to play to his ability when he finally got the chance.

End of an era really, can't be too long before Dunne, Keane & Duff follow him off into the sunset.

Duffer says he's going to play til his legs fall off.

I still don't get the whole 'international retirement' thing. I mean, I get it. But why not leave yourself available?

Look at Brady. Had to be fucking dragged off.

Probably more understandable with a keeper. You have to give the next guy games and he has to know he's the guy.

Anyway. Thanks, Shay.

Here ends the ramblings of a very tired man.

He's decided to call it a day with Ireland:
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2012/0813/1224322127713.html

I hoped he'd stick around for one more campaign, but you can hardly begrudge him with the great service
he gave down the years and the number of injuries he's had lately. It's a sickener the way he bowed out,
the Euros must have been a cruel experience for him really after waiting so long to get to another tournament
and then not being able to play to his ability when he finally got the chance.

End of an era really, can't be too long before Dunne, Keane & Duff follow him off into the sunset.

I couldn't agree more. A sad end to an outstanding international career. He did say he'd be willing to come back in case of emergency so you never know, but I wish him all the best.

It's going to be so strange watching Ireland games without Given between the posts. He's been Ireland's No.1 for nearly all of my adult life.

I remember watching his international debut against Russia in the late, great White Horse Inn. A game that had everything: Cas missing a sitter, Stan almost scoring direct from a corner and then missing a penalty as well as Roy Keane getting sent off for a petulant kick.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Big news. One of the greats for Ireland, no question, and I agree with the above that it's a terrible way to end.
I do think it's the right time for him to step aside though, and give Westwood a look in. I always liked the look of Westwood, but he needs to start playing regularly.

The time is right, that's for sure. 16 years as number 1? record amount of caps? It's been a good run, but he'd be doing more damage holding back a younger keeper now, so it's the right decision. Losing Dunner will be the real kick. CB is a position we don't look handy in at all. I mean, Paul McShame is lurking in the shadows.

On the CB issue, I really would have liked to have seen Alex Pearce get the call up. He'll be playing every week for Reading this year (captain I think?), their player of the season last year, young, Scottish but wants to play for Ireland and by all accounts the real deal. Even by Trap/Tardelli's standards, it's a gross omission for Serbia.

On the CB issue, I really would have liked to have seen Alex Pearce get the call up. He'll be playing every week for Reading this year (captain I think?), their player of the season last year, young, Scottish but wants to play for Ireland and by all accounts the real deal. Even by Trap/Tardelli's standards, it's a gross omission for Serbia.

I've heard good things about Pearce too, but I've never actually seen him play. It will be interesting to see where Ciaran Clark plays for Villa this year, he could be an option in central defence, although his omission from the current squad is not a good sign given the amount of players that cried off. Wilson can also cover CB, but it's hard to know if he's not that bothered about international football or has just been unlucky the couple of times that he has had the chance to push for a starting berth.

O'Shea is starting at CB tomorrow against Serbia alongside Delaney with McShane and Kelly the fullbacks. Joey O'Brien is on the bench though and could have a chance to stake a claim for the right-back slot. McCarthy starts in midfield with Whelan, McClean and McGeady are on the wings with Walters and Long upfront.

O'Dea rather than Delaney shurely. Pearce, player of the year for Reading, or O'Dea of the Toronto Bluetits?

Is Clarke tipped to even get a look in? I would have thought of him as more likely to pushing for left back.

Oh yeah, LB looks like a problem too, doesn't it? Stephen Ward is not good.

O'Dea rather than Delaney shurely. Pearce, player of the year for Reading, or O'Dea of the Toronto Bluetits?

Is Clarke tipped to even get a look in? I would have thought of him as more likely to pushing for left back.

It's O'Dea who's playing tonight alright. My bad. He's playing in the MLS now? Clark played at left back for Ireland, but he has played at centre back for Villa in most of their pre-season games so it looks like his future at club level will be in central defence. Enda Stevens has also played a few times for Villa over the last month. He could be an option at left back if he can nail down a starting place.

. Enda Stevens has also played a few times for Villa over the last month. He could be an option at left back if he can nail down a starting place.
I don't see it myself, but it's not like I'd be watching Villa pre-season friendlies. Even Robbie Brady was played at left back by ManU in the pre-seasons. And then there's Greg Cunningham, who's a more established player than either (and better than Ward for sure).
We're clutching at straws here, but I don't see Enda Stevens climbing the ladder over the others any time soon.

No, Luther made a typo I suspect. It's O'Dea.
I would think Clark is an obvious choice in place of Ward for the future. Not that 'obvious' carries any meaning for our manager.

That's quite a typo. Wilson also left backs. What's happened with Greg Cunningham, btw?

Of course, Wilson! His 'virus' affliction dos not bode well for the future though.
Cunningham is at Bristol City, which is a bit shit, but them's the times we're living in. He's young, hopefully he'll step up.

I don't see it myself, but it's not like I'd be watching Villa pre-season friendlies. Even Robbie Brady was played at left back by ManU in the pre-seasons. And then there's Greg Cunningham, who's a more established player than either (and better than Ward for sure).
We're clutching at straws here, but I don't see Enda Stevens climbing the ladder over the others any time soon.

I totally agree that Stevens is unlikely to leapfrog any existing squad members, but hopefully he could turn out to be an option in the near future. There are a few young Irish players in the Villa squad (Stevens, Clark, Carruthers) who, fingers crossed, will be given a chance under Lambert.

I didn't know that Cunningham had joined Bristol City. He was never going to be given a chance at City so fair dues on biting the bullet and moving on.

Wilson is a strange case. He went through the hassle of switching international allegiance and all the potential problems that could create with sections of the Northern Ireland fan-base, but then doesn't really seemed bothered about turning up when selected. Maybe he expected to walk straight into the team?

Maybe. He also threw the toys out the pram in the summer over Trap's miscommunication, so he may just be reluctant to play for Trap, especially if he suspects he'll a bench warmer watching Stephen Ward getting left in the dust.
It is a strange one though. I reckon one good showing now would get him into the first team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back