Sexism & racism & homophobia, god help us (1 Viewer)

It all kicked off when an influential knitting blogger wrote a post likening visiting India to visiting Mars. Here's the post itself. It seems fairly innocuous and more misjudged than offensive but the knitting community was up in arms.

"I’ve wanted to go to India for as long as I can remember. I’ve a lifelong obsession with the literature and history of the continent. Photos of India fill me with longing like no other place. One of my closest friends [when I was 12] and her family had offered back then that if I ever wanted to go with them on one of their trips, I could. To a suburban midwestern teenager with a severe anxiety disorder, that was like being offered a seat on a flight to Mars. … Then about six weeks ago, the opportunity presented itself—a chance to go with a friend who’s been. … I said yes. And I felt like the top of my head was going to fly off, I was so indescribably excited. Within 48 hours, three of those friends of mine who are so much better travelers than me—but who are all equally humbled at the idea of actually going to India—also said yes. There has hardly been a single day since that I haven’t said in disbelief, either in my head or out loud, I’m going to India."

Surely the intention of the Mars comment was to make it sound like she had never thought that she'd have an opportunity to go to India; that there was the same likelyhood to go to either place for a kid like her?
Yeah, exactly, as a midwestern teenager in the 70s or whatever before globe hopping was a thing with young people it must've seemed like a place that she'd never get to visit. But cancel culture and all that.... bet 80% of the people calling her out were white people who say "y'all" on twitter.

It all kicked off when an influential knitting blogger wrote a post likening visiting India to visiting Mars. Here's the post itself. It seems fairly innocuous and more misjudged than offensive but the knitting community was up in arms.

some yank cunt said:
Instead of asking your Indian friends to perform more emotional labor for you and assuage your white women’s tears, maybe do some reflection on how your equation of India with an alien world reinforces an “other” mindset that is at the core of imperialism and colonialism.
I suspect people would be a little less down on colonialism if, at its core, it was all about "othering" rather than murder and pillage. Could be wrong though lads, as a victim of colonialism myself I'd need to ask the opinion of a Yank to make sure I'm not self-sabotaging

I see Duke special got rid of his dreads (& eye liner). Good timing. Emma Dabiri & the cultural appropriation police are on the prowl.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Someone tell predator he's been cancelled

The_Predator_Movie_5K_q2.0.jpg

"I’ve wanted to go to India for as long as I can remember. I’ve a lifelong obsession with the literature and history of the continent. Photos of India fill me with longing like no other place. One of my closest friends [when I was 12] and her family had offered back then that if I ever wanted to go with them on one of their trips, I could. To a suburban midwestern teenager with a severe anxiety disorder, that was like being offered a seat on a flight to Mars. … Then about six weeks ago, the opportunity presented itself—a chance to go with a friend who’s been. … I said yes. And I felt like the top of my head was going to fly off, I was so indescribably excited. Within 48 hours, three of those friends of mine who are so much better travelers than me—but who are all equally humbled at the idea of actually going to India—also said yes. There has hardly been a single day since that I haven’t said in disbelief, either in my head or out loud, I’m going to India."

For fucks sake. Can people not read?

Ah he's grand, someone pointed out that he did blackface ages ago and he has said sorry, there's no big move to stop him from playing music. Sure the only people who listen to him are white anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back