Sexism & racism & homophobia, god help us (1 Viewer)

Oh, just the second fastest swim in history at 15-years-old

Ledecky2.jpg

Not sure if this is the right thread, but should this guy be allowed play again?

MP Paul Blomfield calls on Sheffield United to rethink Ched Evans decision | Football | The Guardian

I'd generally be of the opinion that if you've done your time then you should be let back to your career, if you can get a job.
Like with Mike Vick in the US.

Lots of opposition to it though.

There was a piece on football365 today about him which said a) The league shouldn't do anything to ban him from coming back and b) no football club should hire him. Which I broadly agree with.

If my team signed him I'd really have to have a long think about whether or not that's a club I'd want to continue to support. When Arsenal were chasing Suarez in the summer of 2013 I came to the conclusion that the day he signed would be the day I stopped being a fan of the club.

Because of the Evra thing?

Yeah, the biting stuff not so much. I think it's mostly gross and weird.

I'll admit that I'm probably overly emotionally invested in the club, but I am to the degree that I don't think I could compartmentalise my fandom of the team away from what I think and feel about that behaviour.

Tony Adams got done for drink driving. Is that not reprehensibly irresponsible?

Tony Adams got done for drink driving. Is that not reprehensibly irresponsible?

It was, and thankfully he never hurt or killed anyone as far as I know which would put a far more serious spin on what he was getting up to (incidentally, I only learned this week that there's 2 players in the lower leagues in England who have killed people on the roads, done time for it, and resumed their careers).

But in general I'd be far less judgemental about, and sympathetic towards someone who was a slave to his addictions and who ultimately got away without harming someone than I would be to a rapist. Or someone who decided that a good way to wind up an opponent was to racially abuse him.

Also I was 11 when Adams went down. I'm now a grown man with a more complex moral outlook on life.

Luke McCormick, killed two kids. Rejoined Plymouth when he got out of chokey. Capitan now. Lee Hughes, killed a man and left the scene. Admitted to it a couple of days later. Came out, went back to scoring. didn't celebrate for a while, but then he started that up again.

Marlon Harewood.... wow. Even John Terry was up in front of the beak. As I recall, he cried.

As for Ched, I agree that he should be allowed continue his career, because that's how the system works. You do your bit, you pick up your life, older and wiser, one hopes. But I also agree that no club should touch him. But then again, is killing two kids while driving drunk not the worst fucking thing imaginable? I don't know, I've no answers. I suppose we look at an "accident" where you had a couple.... as somehow human. We could all do it? And sure, he has to live with it, where as being a rapist, you're just a scumbag because that's a choice you've made: there was nothing left to chance? I don't know, really.

He comes across as a prick, though.

As for Ched, I agree that he should be allowed continue his career, because that's how the system works. You do your bit, you pick up your life, older and wiser, one hopes. But I also agree that no club should touch him. But then again, is killing two kids while driving drunk not the worst fucking thing imaginable? I don't know, I've no answers. I suppose we look at an "accident" where you had a couple.... as somehow human. We could all do it? And sure, he has to live with it, where as being a rapist, you're just a scumbag because that's a choice you've made: there was nothing left to chance? I don't know, really.

I tried to think about it for about 15 seconds, coming up with a heirarchy of the worst shit you can do. But I just made myself sad.

Yeah, it's depressing. Putting aside the football aspect, if I was sitting next to a convicted rapist in work, I might have an issue with that. I wouldn't really care how good at his job he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back