Sexism, god help us (1 Viewer)

in 2021 seven women were murdered in the Republic of Ireland according to today's Irish Times (page 2).

none of the cases have come to court yet but four partners/husbands are facing murder charges.
one case was a double murder/suicide by a partner.
in another case a male relative seems to be the person facing charges? (Mary O'Keefe's death).

one woman was murdered by a stranger:
48 year old Mongolian woman Urantsetseg Tserendorj was stabbed at George's Dock on the 20th January 2021, she later died on 3rd February 2021. Urantsetseg was an office cleaner who was walking home from work during a pandemic lockdown. a boy then aged 14 is facing murder charges.
there was a spell of almost a year where no women were murdered by a stranger in Ireland.
the people you know are the ones to be scared of.

I know that this is unrelated to the general discussion of sexism, but am I right in understanding that the gardai basically grabbed a local romanian and were fine with this just being an open-and-shut story? like this crime is barely two days old and already we have colossal police incompetence and racism? am I getting this wrong?
someone is in for a big fat cheque i suspect; this is incredibly stupid by the sunday world:
"Two women witnessed part of the attack, and saw the suspect flee. He was arrested shortly after he beat the primary school teacher to death."

yeah, but it's a weird omission to not use the 'alleged' caveat, or couching it in language which does not explicitly state it like the above. i'd have hoped that was the lesson on day 1 in journalism 101.

Leaves out any mention of the man's sister being arrested too.

While he was being questioned on Thursday, his sister was appearing in court on a charge of failing to leave the family home during a time when it had been designated as a crime scene. She was remanded in custody with consent to bail until next Wednesday.

“Since [the gardai] arrested me I have been living a nightmare. My sister who suffers from depression is now in prison for refusing to leave our house and we are really worried about her. My mother and grandmother are really worried and upset and have been forced to leave our house as well.”

Aye I meant the Irish Times article leaves out any mention of her. Offaly Express is the only place I've seen her mentioned. I really hope this stuff doesn't fuck up the actual investigation.

Radu said in the Indo today that his sister was arrested for refusing to leave the house when the gardai 'searched'/ransacked it and that she suffers mental health problems.
shameful few days for the gardai. what are going to do next? round up lads because they have beards?
EDIT: sorry. this is the same Offaly Express article by Gearoid Keegan that Moose posted above.

Last edited:
yeah, but it's a weird omission to not use the 'alleged' caveat, or couching it in language which does not explicitly state it like the above. i'd have hoped that was the lesson on day 1 in journalism 101.

Point of info

The alleged caveat doesn't exist really, not in the way people are led to believe it does.
The perception i experience is that people think putting alleged in the sentence means there wont be a libel case. That is not true.
If the mans reputation has been damaged in the public eye, he has a right to defend it in court as defamation.

In this case if
"Alleged murderer"
or
"murderer"
have been tied to this mans name in the public eye, in both iterations he has a legit case.

But yes, the language used was really really not up to grade for anyone in that job.

i've seen some complaints on twitter about some pundit in the UK shitstirring with comments about paddy jackson. that's something i'm definitely not going to investigate to see what's going on.

i've seen some complaints on twitter about some pundit in the UK shitstirring with comments about paddy jackson. that's something i'm definitely not going to investigate to see what's going on.

A brief summary, but I'll put in spoiler tags if you don't want to know ...

Someone for the Sunday Times decided that last weekend was the time to write a piece saying that Jackson (currently at London Irish and playing well by the sounds of it) is the form Irish out-half at the moment and now is the time to welcome him back into the international side because the rest aren't very good and Jonathan Sexton is 2 million years old.

Not sure if it was written by someone in the Sunday Times Ireland office or if it was written primarily for the UK edition by one of their staff.

RTE news report on the funeral there basically consisted of: "Religion religion priest prayers pray pray priest mourners pray pray religion bishop religion religion pray pray pray"

You know this is on the news over here. People seem quite impressed that the Taoiseach (or was it Leo??) and President both attended.

That didn't happen over here when Sarah Everard was killed.

And from the little bit I heard the priest saying, it was a pretty big jump in terms of cop on, compared to 20 or 30 years ago.

You'll be happy to know the Brits are jealous and squirmy looking at the Irish. But Cormcolash, they're only jealous of boggers from Offaly. I believe I heard Evan Davis actually say "fuck you Cormcolash" on a hot mic.

I've long said that the news formula of priest, councillor and vox pop folks saying "it's awful so and so has died so tragically. they were lovely, I know their family well / even if I never actually met them" is totally unneccessary.
when even Alan Hawe got that treatment, that should have been the end of it.

dealing with serious sexist violence from someone you trust highly hasn't come up in anything I've read in the last week.
we all think we would call someone out immediately, but what it's your best friend, brother, son, band mate, favourite gig organiser, singer of your favourite band or most the respected person in the scene?
what if you were told your husband had assaulted a woman?

like not leaving a dangerous boyfriend immediately, it's more difficult to banish someone when they have been good to you than you might realise.

I dread having a friend turn out to be sexist/racist/bigoted or violent. but no one I've known in person has ever let me down... so far. I know it will probably happen some day.
ideally you need to know what do BEFORE even this happens.

In all the years I was a tiny insignificant part of the DIY music scene I rarely went to gigs until the last few years.
only two people I ever corresponded with or supported out of hundreds turned out be utter bastards but I hugely respected both guys for years.

one European guy I first contacted when I was barely 18 y.o. and he about 16 maybe. he was an awesome guy to start off with and his old zines are still a stellar read where he called out sexism, homophobia, racism, commercalism.
BUT from his 20s onwards he gradually got into 'transgressive' shit and in his late 30's one of his bands played a benefit gig for a nazi who murdered someone.

another American guy ran one of my favourite labels and I own most of the records he has released. after over a decade of being aware of him, I started writing to him and got some very kind emails off him full of info about music, bands and his travels.

then a couple of years later a comment on you tube labeled him a 'serial sex predator'.
after some digging I found a link for a social media page where he seemed to be defending himself but the link was dead.
there was only one website which covered how he was called out - he was driving and probably organising a tour for one his favourite bands (whose vocalist/bassist is a woman) when they were told if they turned up with your man they wouldn't be allowed play. the band ditched him and the gig and rest of tour went ahead.
that year he moved half way across the USA and when I had asked why he relocated and he didn't say being called out as a rapist was the reason why.

more recently I saw the discogs page profile for a band he sometimes played in and the main guy in the band asked people to destroy all his band's records because of the rapist guy's involvement.

I never saw this coming. nothing indicated he was dangerous. he was kind, hard working, intelligent and had very similar taste in music to myself. he must have hugely compartmentalised what he did.

I simply never contacted him again and he never contacted me either, thankfully. actually one of the last times I emailed him I warned him about the other European guy I mentioned above.
I am still on his mailing list because I want to know what he's up to in case I buy something he's involved with.

the women he assaulted were probably strongly anti police. what I want that guy to do is:

- stop having any involvement in the music scene and accept the banishment.
- never have a romantic/sexual relationship with anyone again.
- get counseling and face up to what he has done.

also I am involved in a sort of support group.
for the first 13 years we had no problems. no one ever made a sexual comment about any woman involved and nothing was said about anyone behind their backs either.
but more recently we had deal with someone's texts expressing an unwanted interest in a woman.

I want more training on this. to the point that I know what to do even if something I've no of experience of happens.

what experience does anyone here have of dealing with problems like this in independent / DIY music scene?
it's never really come up on thumped that I can remember

EDIT: fixed several spelling mistakes

Last edited:
Haven't listened to this yet but they usually handle the big, non sports topics pretty well.

More about the guests than the regulars in this instance. Who cares what Ken Early thinks about toxxic masculinity?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Haven't listened to this yet but they usually handle the big, non sports topics pretty well.

More about the guests than the regulars in this instance. Who cares what Ken Early thinks about toxxic masculinity?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here what's the deal with Second Captains, i've never listened.

I'm under the impression it's an Irish sports podcast but that it also encompasses a lot of special guests from politics, the arts and more?

Is it Irish Joe Rogan or Irish woke Joe Rogan or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back