Sexism, god help us (3 Viewers)

Terrible ideas seem to be easier to implement than good ones.
you're right

there's probably a couple of layers to this.... one man's terrible idea is another's great idea. Also any good idea poorly implemented can have unforeseen negative consequences. One could argue the attempt to create a 'boston' model of health in ireland has neither saved money or improved the health service (with notable harney-era exceptions of better integration of care like breast cancer/check services)

I've heard that said about Mary Harney.
the rare Irish politician who had an ideology.

you see where all that smart thinking get ya?
TO8e6WC-pTQT4jnw0Aj_4GhpaKCMgGi6ZcsR__bh-4hLpFrIdyyTMDRZcQfRuCiYCtU5tmzuVzLYUuzsISel2rQj3QIJaHdG9IHsPa95mYik=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

I’ve read The Fountainhead and it was good but not good enough to wade through a million pages of Atlas Shrugged. Or good enough to make me agree with her.
I was given a copy of Atlas Shrugged by a horrible Harvard MBA / Venture Capital type like she was handing down the keys to her kingdom.

I started into it with no idea of who this Rand person was or any ideologies, and couldn't get more than a few chapters in, because it's not very good. Like, it's just poorly written. It's not quite as bad as Ken Follet or something on that level, but it's bad.

my opinions on ayn rand were essentially what you'd expect from someone who is (i like to think) reasonably liberal, but were cemented when i was accused of something akin to fascism when i told a fanboi i wasn't going to bother to read 'atlas shrugged'. i'm not allowed decide a book is not worth my time till i've actually given it my time; it's censorship to decide otherwise.
i can see some sort of logic in his argument, but there are lots of books i'm not going to get to read. in fact, i think i'm not going to get to read at least 50% of all books.

my opinions on ayn rand were essentially what you'd expect from someone who is (i like to think) reasonably liberal, but were cemented when i was accused of something akin to fascism when i told a fanboi i wasn't going to bother to read 'atlas shrugged'. i'm not allowed decide a book is not worth my time till i've actually given it my time; it's censorship to decide otherwise.
i can see some sort of logic in his argument, but there are lots of books i'm not going to get to read. in fact, i think i'm not going to get to read at least 50% of all books.
Nah, there are a lot of crap books to read first. But the difference is that you won’t realise they’re crap until you read them.

you are at least 50% fascist

I’ve read The Fountainhead and it was good but not good enough to wade through a million pages of Atlas Shrugged. Or good enough to make me agree with her.
Atlas Shrugged is a fantastic read. I know she's a screwball, and the elitist nonsense espoused in the book is infuriating, but its an incredible piece of writing. Even moreso, given English is not her native tongue.

I wasn't arsed to go read anything else by her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back