Sexism, god help us (2 Viewers)

There's an awful lot of sexism accusations and counter-accusations and talk of patriarchy and shit charging round the internet, and most of it totally mystifies me.

Six years and three months later and not much has changed (my italics).

I find it creepy when I hear of university faculty going out with students in final year or postgrad students - when both parties are clearly at least in their 20s - precisely because of the power imbalance and the opportunity for someone to be able to exert control over a student. It’s that times a million for a teacher-student relationship in school, even if the student is 18 and the teacher is young.

I'm assuming this has been an issue where I work, as we have a number trainings explicitly pointed at this power imbalance. It's not that you're "banned" from having a relationship with someone who'd be in a different... strata? (I dunno the word) but it's HIGHLY regulated and it does not go down well. There's an agency that you're contractually obliged to formally report any relationships like this to.

There was come class of litigation and strange flurry of communications along with further trainings that went out recently reminding everyone of this fact, so we're considering this a grade above creepy I suppose.

i work for a large multinational and apparently any relationship within a vertical reporting structure is verboten.
I used to work for one. Relationships weren't forbidden but had to be declared to HR.

And, you could ask someone out twice. But if they said no those 2 times, the 3rd time was considered sexual harassment.

Don't most relationships start in the workplace?

What about if you're at a corporate conference and you (insert euphemism here) with a competitors employee? Does power imbalance count then?

Or you develop a relationship with a suppliers employee? Or a customers employee?

It just all seems a bit unenforceable to me, and potentially a very useful tool to bully people.

Personally I long ago decided to go by the rule of "Don't shit on your own doorstep" in these matters. It's been a difficult rule to follow at times.

You have to report riding in my work.
We have quiet rooms in work, places you can go to be alone, talk on the phone, just get away from everything if you like.

People assumed these rooms were soundproofed. They were not. I was outside of one working and I heard riding happening in there... I did not report it as I was not aware of any regulations about riding in the workplace.

I did catch a quick peak of who was doing the riding as they left however.

I'm glad to say I've managed never to shit on my own doorstep
There was this one time I was running for a train in Cork, and I'd been on the pints a bit the previous night, and I think my body just got out of whack with the running and all.

Either way, apologies are in order to both Cork, and whatever doorstep got caught in the cross fire.

We have quiet rooms in work, places you can go to be alone, talk on the phone, just get away from everything if you like.

People assumed these rooms were soundproofed. They were not. I was outside of one working and I heard riding happening in there... I did not report it as I was not aware of any regulations about riding in the workplace.

I did catch a quick peak of who was doing the riding as they left however.
Start leaving notes on their desks

"I KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE"

etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back