Sexism, god help us (3 Viewers)

context - i was just responding to a tweet about this and realised i was making the mistake about directly conflating it with the experience girls have of leering men, with punishing the girls for the actions of those leering men.

HOWEVER.

Are we really going to pretend that school uniform isn't something that has been fetishised for a long time, is the topic of many's a halloween exhibition costume, was the catalyst for britney spears being brought to the masses.

Because those are definitely extant elements in the synaptic world of the school uniform.

As my 18 year old students paraded around in their underwear, chanting the "might seduce your dad type" line by Billie Eilish I rolled my eyes with contempt. To me, they were just children.

I feel compelled to point out here that I don't think the problem here is necessarily creepy older man (they're a problem in their own right, but not the root cause of this problem), but the fact that our society is so uptight about sex, and specifically female sexuality, that people are continually freaking out about what teenage girls are wearing. Your teenage daughter has a sex drive, fucking get over it
I don't know if this is the same thing but I was having a conversation with an older man recently who started a rant along the lines of "Sure back in the 60s and 70s women were going on about sexual liberation and how they could sleep with whoever they want. And sure now it's like they're trying ban sex altogether with the whole metoo thing, they can't make up their mind. Women, eh?"
Now my reading of all this, and I'm open to correction here so feel free to tear this apart, is that in both instances women were looking for bodily autonomy and to make their own choices regarding their sexuality and in both instance they're reacting to how society is treating them at the time. But it gets painted by the very people they're reacting to as "Women, eh? Can't make up their mind"
Before ye ask, I didn't say any of this to the person I was talking to because I only got this counter argument together in my head after.

I was speculating last night that maybe the reason dress codes for women have been so common throughout history is a way to prevent violence among men. If someone is eyeing up my wife in imaginary-location-in-the-past, then she and I both feel threatened, so to be safe I try and cut his head off. Simpler for women and men both to prevent it

I can't imagine so. This is a school with a strict uniform policy. I have a friend who works in a secondary school (strict uniform policy, single sex (girls) ) and they said something very similar happened there last year, as some of the male teachers were overheard talking about certain female students in the staff room. So that creeped me out, obviously, as it should creep anyone out.

my maths teacher lost his virginity to one of the students.
business studies teacher went out with one of the students in 6th year secretly, and openly immediately thereafter.

It was just too good to be true. An uncomplicated target for everyone to band together and crucify without guilt.
"He said the boys were not spoken to as the issue was primarily with the girls and he defended this decision, saying space was limited and also that the teaching staff did not want to embarrass the girls."

Very weird. He sounds very woolly, and it's all so bizarre. I did write this yesterday-but unfortunately my friend who teaches in secondary had that very disturbing incident at her school last year with those male teachers that were talking inappropriately about some female students. From some of the replies on this thread, it seems that there is a bit of an issue out there, but there always has been-it's good we are talking about such issues now, though!

I am now going to re-train as a secondary school teacher and apply for a job in Carlow Presentation School three years from now. I will report back.

It was just too good to be true. An uncomplicated target for everyone to band together and crucify without guilt.

Now I get to tut and say things like "you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet" like a smug prick.
ps. My source was a reputable local newspaper! (To be fair I read that newspaper on the internet, but still :sneaky:)

"He said the boys were not spoken to as the issue was primarily with the girls and he defended this decision, saying space was limited and also that the teaching staff did not want to embarrass the girls."

Very weird. He sounds very woolly, and it's all so bizarre. I did write this yesterday-but unfortunately my friend who teaches in secondary had that very disturbing incident at her school last year with those male teachers that were talking inappropriately about some female students. From some of the replies on this thread, it seems that there is a bit of an issue out there.
Ah, I don't deny it's out there, it'd be considerably worse if everyone's immediate response was "these girls are being ridiculous, teachers are beyond reproach!"

I am now going to re-train as a secondary school teacher and apply for a job in Carlow Presentation School three years from now. I will report back.
Me too, we need as many perspectives on this as we can get.

ps. My source was a reputable local newspaper! (To be fair I read that newspaper on the internet, but still)
It might still be true, sure! This could go back and forth for ages.

Ah, I don't deny it's out there, it'd be considerably worse if everyone's immediate response was "these girls are being ridiculous, teachers are beyond reproach!"

Me too, we need as many perspectives on this as we can get.

It might still be true, sure! This could go back and forth for ages.
Hahahahahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back