Sexism, god help us (14 Viewers)

flashback

Atlas Shrugged is a fantastic read.

....really?

Dammit. Do I have to have another look at this. In what sense? I didn't get past the first... I'm guessing 100 pages.
I thought the story itself wasn't interesting or novel. The subtext was grim, but I ignored that similar to the way I ignored those aspects of that other absolutely shit book about the space pilot who's playing "games" that in the end you find out aren't really games and he just saved the galaxy. I forget that the name of it. The point is I can get through obnoxious subtexts and shit writing, if there's something redeeming.

I couldn't find anything redeeming about Atlas Shrugged at all. Although I'm clearly not a literary critical power-house, so I'd happily defer to those who know.

nuke terrorist

Supporter
when you say 'this point' i suspect you were talking about a point other than the actual names given to cows, or specifically misogyny though?
What I meant is how overlooked it is that FEMALE animals are impregnated (artificial insemination is standard practice), repeatedly forced to breed, produce milk and when they become infertile they are killed.
This should resonate with anyone who supports women's rights IMO.

Yes, actually it could be that she was making a different point.

Last edited:

JohnnyRaz

What I meant is how overlooked it is that FEMALE animals are impregnated (artificial insemination is standard practice), repeatedly forced to breed, produce milk and when they become infertile they are killed.

whereas the male ones are simply castrated, slaughtered and eaten

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards

She was making an incredibly stupid point - cows have "traditionally girl names" not because of misogyny, but because cows are female

Your point isn't stupid, but is pretty debatable.

edit: The person who made that tweet looks about 15, and now her twitter profile is restricted probably because people are piling on to tell her how stupid she is. God help her :(

sleepy

Website
www.facebook.com
She was making an incredibly stupid point - cows have "traditionally girl names" not because of misogyny, but because cows are female

Your point isn't stupid, but is pretty debatable.

edit: The person who made that tweet looks about 15, and now her twitter profile is restricted probably because people are piling on to tell her how stupid she is. God help her :(
I've always found the milk from bulls very salty

Users who are viewing this thread

We're listening to...

• Natalie Prass
    Reprise
    Natalie Prass
    Natalie Prass

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads