Settler's Life Upstream is 10 years old today (1 Viewer)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
Hey all at Thumped.

In short, Wil (@ wilbert), Tim (@ Neosupervital), Derek (@ Rumpus), Fiona and I used to be in a band called Settler, who some of you will remember. Our debut (and some would say our best) album was released 10 years ago today. Really hard to believe it's ten years ago. But there you go. To celebrate this, we've created a blog with lots of reminiscences, some videos, lots of photos, and some versions of tunes (including live ones) not heard before by a lot of folk. My favourite thing is a cover of Old Hands, a song I wrote, by Derek. But then I would say that, I suppose.

The blog is here:
http://settlerband.tumblr.com/

Or to get straight to the music, go listen to/download Life Upstream here:

http://settlerband.bandcamp.com/

.... as well as some of our other records.

Thumped and the ThingsYou'reMissing community in particular was a big part of Settler's buzz. We had a lot of friends and support here. Thanks.

i first became conscious of your general existence at the tail end of settler, who i always confused in name with donnacha and rapples band.

We should all meet up in the Lord edward for a reunion drink. Maybe do some distro and a zine while we're at it?

I first became conscious of Thumped while trying to meet ThingsYourMissing people (who had stopped meeting) in there. I think.

We should all meet up in the Lord edward for a reunion drink.

Wasn't there a TYM reunion in the Lord Edward a couple of years ago? Or were we all just co-incidentally drinking there at the same time?

'Life Upstream' was a great album. Kind of depressing to think it was 10 years ago....<shuffles off using zimmerframe>

I said so on (fuck) facebook, Life Upstream is a fucking gem. When I hear it I'm instantly trying to cross the road at the Ashtown roundabout in the rain. Love the ramshackle production.
Hard Won Hard Wired had a lot to live up to.

I think that was the gig by a short-lived band called Slow River School, which Wil did bass in.

The only other gig we did with Paul was at The Sabbath, he went sorta mad doing a noise thing. You weren't playing as part of that band if I remember correctly.

I think that was the gig by a short-lived band called Slow River School, which Wil did bass in.

The only other gig we did with Paul was at The Sabbath, he went sorta mad doing a noise thing. You weren't playing as part of that band if I remember correctly.

The noise thing was improv. The band was called I. t. solutions afair. I don't recall the whelans gig. I remember seeing the slow river school in the sugar club at something or other.

The noise thing was improv. The band was called I. t. solutions afair. I don't recall the whelans gig. I remember seeing the slow river school in the sugar club at something or other.

I think you played some drums and I played a bit of bass, my first and only time, and accordion, and you might have done some guitar too. It was the same night a guy in the Airport Chipper in Whitehall offered me €50 for the accordion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back