Setting up a VPN (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
I keep reading that this is a good thing to do for security reasons and also to allow viewing of BBC iplayer,US Netflix etc.

Is it easy to do? Is it free?

Can you turn it off and on easily?

Anything I should be aware of?

How are you planning on doing it?

I used to pay 3 quid a month for a service (can't recall the name) where my net traffic got routed through a region of your choosing (I chose the US). That got you around region-controlled restrictions but, I don't think it was necessarily any more secure than not using it (well other than confusing people as to what your location was).

My interpretation of VPN is moreso along the lines of securing your local network, specifically in relation to how it can be accessed from the outside. I used it when I worked for a multinational. You'd use a Cisco tool to create a secure connection from your laptop to the corporate network, and all traffic would be transported via that. Then when you disconnect, the cisco software restores your connection back the way it was.

I'm not even sure, the more I find out the more confused I am.

I don't like the idea of a subscription service, I have enough bills as it is. I wonder if there's a free version? Mainly, I just want to get around region controls for BBC etc but I like the idea of not having my data readily accessible by my provider too. I'f hoped it would be a "install this software, , click start, and away you go" thing.

Does anyone here use a VPN that can get BBC iPlayer

COmcast have messaged me to say they're going to cut off my internet if I keep stealing things

Any help appreciated

i'm not sure you'll find a VPN that can stay ahead of the iplayer vpn hunters.

i'm not sure you'll find a VPN that can stay ahead of the iplayer vpn hunters.
I can concur with this. I've had really spotty ability to get BBC. The last time I could get iPlayer was years back, and it lasted for literally a few days after I'd discovered it.

If I want to watch something specific I have shitty areas of the internet to look through, but it's not iPlayer, it's a live stream, or a recorded live stream, from something on BBC.

If you find something I'd be really interested. I've been in the US for more than ten years now, and the TV is such unmitigated shite I stopped watching it altogether. Every now and again I miss being able to just sit down and watch TV though. Or when people come visiting and things. It would be great to have.

I have a question about Express VPN
Like when I leave it on overnight on the laptop - usually cos I'm sticking torrents on there
When I come down in the morning, there is no internet on the laptop - when the machine goes to sleep so does the VPN and I can't wake it back up (for want of a better term) - and it triggers something in the firewall

I have to wait for a few minutes for it to reset itself, or restart the machine

Resetting to another country/city doesn't work, cos either Express is frozen or won't change location

Anyone from this talent pool experienced that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back