Send free text messages from any PC using JSMS. (1 Viewer)

Hey Folks,

We've just release JSMS 4.0.1. The biggest feature is a fix that was needed for Vodafone users since Vodafone revamped their website. Special thanks to the folks that alerted me of the problem!! You know who you are!

JSMS now uses automatic updates, so it should automatically update itself sometime in the next 24 hours. Make sure that you haven't gone and selected the "Disable Automatic Updates" option in the Tools->Preferences... dialog!!!

You'll be notified when the update has been downloaded and you'll be asked to restart the application. It really should be as simple as that! :) This is the first time we've rolled this out en-masse, so let us know if you run into problems.

==============================================

- Fixed bug when the number of SMS(s) to be sent was not being calculated correctly.

- Fixed bug where Meteor was sometimes falsely reporting a failed login.

- Added facility to allow the user change the fonts used by JSMS. Feature can be accessed via Tools->Preferences
in the "Display" tab.

- Added sample logging properties file to distribution to aid with debugging.

- Added option to have the contact automatically unselected after a message is sent.

- Fixed bug where modifications made to the phone book were not being reflected in the group chooser.

- Updated to work with Vodafone's revamped website.

Hey folks!

Great news! fbradyirl -- the intrepid and inspired creator of JSMS is back on board the JSMS project and has added some really cool features from his desk in Auckland!

The next version of JSMS has just gone into beta test and it includes a cool new feature (added by the man himself) that will allow you to import contact details into JSMS from your O2/Meteor/Vodafone online account, your GMail account, and even from your Outlook contacts if you are a Windows user.

We've plans to add the ability to import from many other sources too, but this should be enought to give you a taster of what's to come! :)

So watch this space -- and make sure that your JSMS preferences are set to NOT disable automatic updates. That way - the cool new features will just magically appear on your system as a cool little surprise one morning just as you finish your cornflakes! :)

JSMS 4.0.2 released!

Hey folks!

JSMS 4.0.2 is now ready for public consumption! Simply hit the "Help->Check for Updates..." button in JSMS and it should do the rest for you...

Along with a number of bug fixes, we've also added the following new features:

- Added ability to import contacts from:
* Your mobile operators website
* GMail contacts
* Microsoft Outlook (Windows users only)

- Updated the main GUI to retrieve the remaining credits
for O2 users after they log in.

- Added ability to remove the background image from the
SMS text area.

i just installed the update, and the bits and bops seem great.

but...

the send button isn't working when i put a name in the address bar, i click it and it just vanishes. had to set it to send sms by pressing enter key for it to work

i just installed the update, and the bits and bops seem great.

but...

the send button isn't working when i put a name in the address bar, i click it and it just vanishes. had to set it to send sms by pressing enter key for it to work

Hey thanks for the post. Can you tell me exactly what steps you took as I can't reproduce this. Is it the "Send Message" button that vanishes or the name?

Re: JSMS 4.0.2 released!

Hey folks!

JSMS 4.0.2 is now ready for public consumption! Simply hit the "Help->Check for Updates..." button in JSMS and it should do the rest for you...

Along with a number of bug fixes, we've also added the following new features:

- Added ability to import contacts from:
* Your mobile operators website
* GMail contacts
* Microsoft Outlook (Windows users only)

- Updated the main GUI to retrieve the remaining credits
for O2 users after they log in.

- Added ability to remove the background image from the
SMS text area.

Mac users can sync up Address Book to GMail contacts by having a look here. After you do this you can import your GMail contacts into JSMS in a few seconds. Any problems, drop us an email at [email protected]

Cheers

Hey thanks for the post. Can you tell me exactly what steps you took as I can't reproduce this.

Sure thing. I start typing the recipients name in the address bar, and the program auto completes it.
When I click the send button the drop down menu for the address book appears, so I re-click on the name I want, the drop down disappears, and so does the send button.

This is the PIN number you use to log into your o2/vodafone or Meteor website to send free texts.

cheers- i figured it out in the end

one thing though- i was using JSMS because the vodafone site was down

but it wouldn't work...because the vodafone site was down

which rendered it kind of pointless for me

I don't really see the point of using JSMS if I can just use the vodafone one. Unless I can send texts while abroad or something?

i was using JSMS because the vodafone site was down
<snip>
I don't really see the point of using JSMS if I can just use the vodafone one.

As you've figured, JSMS actually uses the mobile operators website to send your texts. That way you get to use your free webtext allocation and you can be assured that your text is not being sent to a third party server.

Here's some of the main benefits we see with JSMS:

* Time - and time is literally money... It takes time to surf to the website, login and navigate to the text page and send the message. Sometimes you might feel it's quicker to just text from your phone... But that costs money! Instead, you can leave JSMS running on your PC (or even get it to start when your PC starts up) and then sending a free text is only a click away...

* Auto-logins. JSMS doesn't ask you for your password every time you want to send a text. The Vodafone will let you stay logged on for 24 hours before forcing you to login again. The other sites force you to relogin after a few minutes.

* JSMS supports sending text messages larger than 160 bytes in size. The websites do not.

* JSMS can spellcheck your texts for you as you type and/or before sending them. It support hundreds of languages.

* JSMS can be used to send texts from your workplace without having the website visible on your screen to prying eyes who'd much prefer you weren't spending your time sending texts!
wink.gif

* The phone book can be split into sections to help you find more commonly used contacts quicker.

* We can import your contacts from lots of popular applications like Outlook and Gmail.

* You can easily create groups from your phone book to send texts to.

* Multiple users can use JSMS - each can have his/her own phone books and preferences.

* Privacy is of prime importance to JSMS: your texts are sent using secure HTTP and are NEVER sent to third party servers. And the JSMS source code is freely available to anybody doubting that.

* JSMS runs on *any* PC Operating System that supports Java...

* Text's can be sent from the command line -- especially useful if you want to be able to send yourself a message after a script or batch process completes...

* And it doesn't stop there - we've lots of cool new features in store... Watch this space for details! We'd have them all for you tomorrow, but I'm afraid we need day jobs to pay the bills :)

I start typing the recipients name in the address bar, and the program auto completes it.
When I click the send button the drop down menu for the address book appears, so I re-click on the name I want, the drop down disappears, and so does the send button.

Hmm - I can't seem to make that happen here.

* Could you enable logging and send us a copy of the log?

What you need to do is:
- Go to the directory you installed JSMS in a rename the file "logging.properties.unused" to "logging.properties.
- Restart JSMS.
- Repeat the steps you used to encounter this problem.
- Send us on the log to [email protected]

Also, it is possible that this is a problem with Java painting the send button. After the button disappears could you open a different application (any application) so that it appears in front of JSMS on your screen. Then bring JSMS back to the front of the screen and let us know if that brings the button back.

Hey folks...

It looks like Meteor did a major revamp on the back end of their website yesterday. As a result JSMS is no longer able to log into the Meteor website. Vodafone and O2 users should be unaffected.

This shouldn't be a big deal to fix, the biggest problem will be me finding the time necessary to figure it out!

As it happens, Finbarr and I are just testing version 4.0.3 so we're in a good position to make a new release anyway...

It looks like Meteor did a major revamp ... As a result JSMS is no longer able to log in
We've just made an early release of JSMS 4.0.3 to fix the issue with Meteor accounts. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to test this release even remotely as thoroughly as we would like, so please forgive us if this release doesn't meet the normal quality standards that we usually try to aspire to; here's the deal - if you report bugs quickly, we'll try to fix them quickly!

One thing that I have noted is that the Meteor website still occasionally returns an error. JSMS will always tell you when it can't send a message and simply trying again seems to work...

We've been busy (well Finbarr has been busy!) since the last release, as the following list of features will highlight...

* Added a phone book manager and a button to launch it from the main screen. Multiple contacts can added to a group by drag and drop or multi-selection.
* Redesigned Login window.
* Added ability to export and import contacts (great for backing up your phone book).
* Contacts can be searched by typing their name.
* Updated message window and made background colours configurable, just like the fonts are.
* Added message log showing message history since JSMS was launched.
* Updated JSMS to work with Meteor's latest website update.
* Fixed bug where user could only enter a manual number up to 10 digits long (needed for O2 users).
* Updated installer and "About" box images and fixed bug where the installer crashed on certain Linux platforms.
* Temporarily removed broken "sendToGroups" functionality.

Enjoy - and please report any bugs to us at [email protected]

Regards,
The JSMS Team.

Hey folks,

We're back with a new release for you. Some of you (the ones using a Java 6 JVM) will have started using JSMS 4.0.3 yesterday and had no issues using it at all. However, more of you (the ones using Java 5) would have found that JSMS no longer works for you. Well release 4.0.4 should now work with both versions of Java. I had to remove the functionality to add contact groups to make it work, but I also got a chance to fix a couple of bugs that I found today. It's swings and roundabouts!

The release notes for JSMS 4.0.4 are:

• Disabled addition of new contact groups as the code required the use of a Java 6 Virtual Machine.
  • Fixed problem where texts sometimes wouldn't send.
  • Added system information to the About Box.
Enjoy!

Re: JSMS 4.0.5 released!

Hey folks!

JSMS 4.0.5 is now available. Here are the change notes:

- Fixed bug where sending a text to a manually entered number caused JSMS to lock up.

- Restored sending of messages to groups.

- Added ability to start JSMS specifying the login details on the command line. To invoke, use the following format:
java -jar JSMS.jar <Meteor|Vodafone|O2> <login> <password>

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back