Selling on Discogs - any advice? (1 Viewer)

Nate Champion

Can anyone tell me any info about selling on discogs, particularly vinyls?

I have about thirty or forty vinyls that I have no interest in keeping (actually I'm in a clear-out mode so this could increase...). And maybe cds - but I might just trade these into second-hand shops in town.

I'm currently adding the vinyls to an inventory just to have them up there.

Anyway, they wouldn't accept my IBAN or sort code.

But the main query I have is:

Postage.

I haven't a clue about shipping rates from Ireland.

Is there a standard chart of shipping rates to England, Europe, North America, etc for shipping vinyls that I can follow?

Cheers.

I tried using those charts & rates,but the post office I use doesn't!!!! So I pretty much have to package up the record,bring it to the post office to get a price,bill the buyer,then when paid go back and post the item.

I tried using those charts & rates,but the post office I use doesn't!!!! So I pretty much have to package up the record,bring it to the post office to get a price,bill the buyer,then when paid go back and post the item.

at work, occassionally my duties include doing the post (4 years of college and 8 years experience, i do the post run on a monday and if the person who normally does it is off :( ) and when I use the chart for bigger items, and then check it at the post office, it always works out for me.

Postage for vinyl (especially single LP's) is really really expensive these days, mainly because its impossible to get an LP packed up for under 500 grams. €7.50 would be an average price for 1 LP posted to outside of Ireland which goes up to €10.75 for anywhere outside. If the buyer wants registration then that can easily double.

It's probably better to accept payments through paypal as well, buyers will trust that a lot more since it has the refund system. Direct bank transfer is rarely used.

at work, occassionally my duties include doing the post (4 years of college and 8 years experience, i do the post run on a monday and if the person who normally does it is off :( ) and when I use the chart for bigger items, and then check it at the post office, it always works out for me.

I've had differences of up to 2euro,sometimes the cd in the package I only charged maybe 3euro for.

I always hated when places had minimum order amounts but I've been considering recently. That's how often there is a difference.
Sometimes it does work in my favour too,but I'd rather charge the right amount than have someone complaining over me overcharging a euro or two on postage

Oddly England is alot more expensive to mail to than say Italy or Germany, Greece, because they are not in the Euro.

I would say it is a good website you will definitely get a response there although they do ask for a share/percentage of your sales. Sometimes you can dodge that if you ask the buyer to pay you directly via paypal instead of discogs and then just mark the order as cancelled.

With post to be absolutely sure go down to the post office with the parcel and ask them beforehand, sometimes they might count it as a large envelope or something instead of a parcel but technically i think they are a parcel but maybe it depends on what the people are like in the post office.

Also i would say you wont sell everthing at once it will take some month's drips and drabs sometimes people like to ask a few qeustions first or some might hagel a bit other's will be glad to get the record anyway it is more or less up to yourself how decide to sell stuff there.

Cheers for the replies. Much appreciated.

Yeah, this is a varied selection, so I wouldn't be expecting it to go too fast. The whole rating the condition of the thing seems a bit arbitrary. But I think I can rate the stuff honestly.

The more I look at this record collection, the more I think I could get rid of half of it.

Sounds like it's hassle to a degree. But worthwhile hassle as long as they're happy to pay the postage?

I've sold some absolute rubbish there,and then things I thought would have sold quick have had no interest,even listed cheaper than any other I've seen for sale and with a lot of people who "want" it.

If you're not sure about using the m/nm/vg+/Vg style rating (you have to enter them regardless) make sure you use the text to describe any flaws the record may have,even minor things can be a big deal to some people.

In fairness, I'm sure there are plenty of people on another forum slagging off some Irish guy for all the weirdo drone/avant garde shite he buys. We all win in our own little ways.

Here are my postage rates. I've only sold a few things on it. I'd recommend Amazon Marketplace for rare CDs. I got GBP £300 for an Oasis singles box set there last month.

Ireland / Northern Ireland
€3.00 for 1 7"/CD
€4.25 for 2 7"/CD
€6.25 for 1 or 2 LPs/12"s
€8.00 for 3, 4 or 5 LPs/12"s

Great Britain / Europe
€4.00 for 1 7"/CD
€5.25 for 2 7"/CD
€8.00 for 1 or 2 LPs/12"s
€12.00 for 3, 4 or 5 LPs/12"s

US / Rest of World
€4.00 for 1 7"/CD
€5.25 for 2 7"/CD
€11.00 for 1 or 2 LPs/12"s
€17.00 for 3, 4 or 5 LPs/12"s

Anyone selling on Discogs.
When do you leave feedback? I always leave after I have gotten feedback,as then I know the items have arrived safe and the customer is happy. But I just sold a few items and been paid for them quickly,and before I've even sent them,the person is asking for feedback. Is that usual ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back