Selling on Discogs - any advice? (2 Viewers)

Thanks everyone, lots of information there, much obliged for your brains and experience. @Lili Marlene that forum is fun, found this: Album "X" is Essentially a Secret Album by Artist "Y" | Steve Hoffman Music Forums
@Unknown Convict I already own the Rother album, it was just an example...but you're right, that's probably the one I'd go for too. It's something I come across almost every time I go to buy something, as most of the things I'm after are old. I always thought there was something I was missing, but it seems like a case-by-case common sense approach is all that's necessary.

discogs pedants at it again:

first contributor: "track times not given, stopwatch used to determine durations"

second contributor (a.k.a. "the pedant"): "durations removed. not found on release."

hair-splitters of the world unite...

Howdy,
Another buying question: I've been looking recently at the websites for some of the better/busier sellers on Discogs, and in general it seems that the stuff they sell on their own websites tends to be cheaper than their Discogs listings. Do any of you do your research on Discogs, then just head across to the relevant website and buy from there? I guess if you're still paying by Paypal the transaction is still pretty safe. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but the difference (say for example on recordsale.de) is pretty dramatic. Any drawbacks?

Also, a very odd record has popped on Discogs up from a seller in Russia. I've been looking for it for a while. But the dude has NO sales at all. Should I just avoid? Or make outlandish promises about future purchases contingent on the tidiness of the first transaction?

i'd tread carefully on the russian one. not based on experience, but if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. would you be covered if you bought on visa? e.g. chargeback?

re: cross-checking - not something i've done before, but will be doing in future.

Howdy,
Another buying question: I've been looking recently at the websites for some of the better/busier sellers on Discogs, and in general it seems that the stuff they sell on their own websites tends to be cheaper than their Discogs listings. Do any of you do your research on Discogs, then just head across to the relevant website and buy from there? I guess if you're still paying by Paypal the transaction is still pretty safe. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but the difference (say for example on recordsale.de) is pretty dramatic. Any drawbacks?

Also, a very odd record has popped on Discogs up from a seller in Russia. I've been looking for it for a while. But the dude has NO sales at all. Should I just avoid? Or make outlandish promises about future purchases contingent on the tidiness of the first transaction?

Well discogs charge a certain percentage so maybe that is why some are asking more or else they are just trying to get a higher price but in my experience I often see sellers asking for less than there usual website.

I would send the Russian seller a message and ask them about the record or even ask for a photo to see the condition of it if you think they might be trying to pull a fast one and if you pay with paypal you can open a dispute if something goes wrong

I really have to activate my discogs and try and sell some stuff most stuff I had that was really worth anything I already let go for to little but I cant sell untill I pay a fee I owe them

Thank youse dudes. I got some photos of the record last night, its graded "VG+", and it looks grand. It's not super rare, I think, just doesn't pop up for sale all that often. it's this:
Hardy Hepp - Born In The Forest: buy LP at Discogs
Has a couple of big Kraut names on it, in the service of an 80's Swiss youth-TV presenter. I'm still humming and hawing about whether to go for it. I guess worst case scenario I'll have learned how to do my first Paypal dispute :)

Oh, man. $40 for a 7"

Fuck me.

Ha! I did that too, inadvertently and sober recently. Normally I pay the instant I get the invoice, but the guy wanted payment away from Discogs, so I agreed, then paid two other invoices and forgot to pay his. 9 days go by, subconsciously I'm wondering where the bloody record is, and next thing he posts the automatic negative feedback from a cancelled sale. He sold it in his shop, having never reminded me that I owed him money. Pain. In the Hupe. First negative in over a year. Yeah it was my mistake, but a friendly reminder was too much for this guy? Oy vey. It was a great record too.
http://www.discogs.com/Klaus-Dinger...an-Klausi-Scheißt-Auf-Hollywood/master/179009

Ha! I did that too, inadvertently and sober recently. Normally I pay the instant I get the invoice, but the guy wanted payment away from Discogs, so I agreed, then paid two other invoices and forgot to pay his. 9 days go by, subconsciously I'm wondering where the bloody record is, and next thing he posts the automatic negative feedback from a cancelled sale. He sold it in his shop, having never reminded me that I owed him money. Pain. In the Hupe. First negative in over a year. Yeah it was my mistake, but a friendly reminder was too much for this guy? Oy vey. It was a great record too.
http://www.discogs.com/Klaus-Dinger-Rheinita-Bella-Düsseldorf-Néondian-Klausi-Scheißt-Auf-Hollywood/master/179009

I told him I was drunk at the time, which he got a laugh out of.

Also we have the same first name, so there was luckily a somewhat bond. He even wrote asking to verify the address because there was a different office floor on my Paypal account for my friend's office. Super nice guy.

I didn't even know til today that buyers could have negative ratings. Lesson learned.

http://www.discogs.com/Klaus-Dinger-Rheinita-Bella-Düsseldorf-Néondian-Klausi-Scheißt-Auf-Hollywood/master/179009

I'd always send a reminder before doing anything, usually you get back an embarrassed "Sorry!" and the payment. I'd rather be nice and hope they order something again.

are there benefits to 'adding friends' on discogs? Am i right in presuming you get updates when they put stuff up for sale/add to their collection? few sellers I buy from I wouldn't mind adding if it serves a good purpose but dont wanna be getting messages for every bit of activity they take part in

The record arrived some time in the last couple of days, got it this morning. It's as bonkers as I had hoped, but much less good. No sign of any of the krautrock legends getting groovy at all. In fact it could be any reasonably decent bunch of studio heads. Completely anonymous. And there's a little too much yodelling. But it is in great nick and arrived very quickly.

Re the discogs friends thing...no idea. But the discogs forum is good for questions like this. Here's a preliminary search which might help, and if it ain't there, you can just start your own thread and ask, people are very helpful there.
http://www.discogs.com/forum/search?query=discogs+friends&page=2

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back