Selling on Discogs - any advice? (2 Viewers)

What's the best way to pack a double lp with gatefold? Leaving the records in the sleeve and then wrapping it in shrinkwrap so it's fairly firm in the mailing cardboard seems to me like the best way to stop the sleeve getting damaged but others disagree.

Yeah i would take the records out of the sleave to avoid seam spliting if i was mailing record.

I am trying to buy on Discogs.

I put in the delivery address so the dude can figure the shipping. I guess I just have to wait on him to get back to me.

Yeah, usually they'll send you an invoice back with the shipping added. I've never had to wait much longer than a day or so.

Does anyone have a quick rule of thumb when buying on discogs to help decide which version of a record to buy? I regularly get stuck looking at similarly priced, good quality, original versions of an album, which is then on several different labels / editions etc, with no idea how to make a decision. Normally I just go for the cheapest, but if there's some other logic I can use I'd love to hear about it. Or does it matter a damn?

i usually go for the cheapest, allowing for postage rates (i've seen 300% discrepancies in postage alone). you could always ask the seller for pics of their actual copy if you're unsure. seller ratings are usually a good indicator.

Heya, thanks for that, Unknown Convict. I kinda do this already...it's not so much about the individual record, it's about which edition to go for. How to resolve something like this for instance:
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Rother-Sterntaler/master/52349

So, do you see the first two releases? Both on Sky records, both 1978, but different catalogue numbers...this happens a lot. I can't help thinking that I should have a good reason for going for one over the other. There are better examples where the prices are almost identical.

Perhaps this should be in the Minor Complaints thread. I feel pretty confident that the ultimate answer will be something like "except in very occasional cases, it really doesn't matter"...thought I'd appeal to the Thumped Collective Consciousness just in case :)

Difficult to know @Burgerbarbaby I would tend to think to get a newer press of a record because it might be in better condition but I suppose its not necessarily the case. Then again there are other things to factor in like where it ships from or individual description.

@Burgerbarbaby

my take: Usually if there's something worth knowing it'll appear on the discogs listing itself.

If it's something I really want on vinyl and it's relatively well known I usually have a look and see what the baby boomers on the steve hoffman forum (Music Corner | Steve Hoffman Music Forums ) are saying about the different pressings. In this case though, nothing. Suggests it's not a big deal.

Generally speaking, it's a German artist on a German independent label so I would assume the German pressing may be slightly better than the Portugal pressing? Speculation though.

http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Rother-Sterntaler/master/52349

So, do you see the first two releases? Both on Sky records, both 1978, but different catalogue numbers...this happens a lot. I can't help thinking that I should have a good reason for going for one over the other. There are better examples where the prices are almost identical.

i'd go for this one: http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/151208578 - €17.40 all in.

portuguese one just seems to be a distro variant.

aside from vinyl quality, i'd usually go for original pressing from country of origin. cooler climates mean fewer warped records too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back