Selling on Discogs - any advice? (1 Viewer)

Did they not provide pictures?

i arrived late into a bid, threw cash in and won it so didn't have time for questions. only one photo of the front cover that looks fine. probably a seam split here and there maybe at worst, hopefully.

reckless ebaying really. once the record is as they say I'm not that fussed over the sleeve. seller's feedback seems to be very good, 100% on over 200 items so hopefully shouldn't be too bad

i arrived late into a bid, threw cash in and won it so didn't have time for questions. only one photo of the front cover that looks fine. probably a seam split here and there maybe at worst, hopefully.

reckless ebaying really. once the record is as they say I'm not that fussed over the sleeve. seller's feedback seems to be very good, 100% on over 200 items so hopefully shouldn't be too bad
Well if it was ebay and not discogs you might be grand. The discogs grading levels are quite different, and much more stringent.

bought a record on ebay with NM/M- media rating and a G+ sleeve rating

what should i realistically expect with a G+?
turns out the seller was really conservative with his sleeve grading. Aside from inevitable spine wear of a 30 year old record , there isn't a split, crease, piece of writing or rip in sight

have many folks here logged in your record collection on discogs ?

is there anyway to categorise records by format ?

whatever way you go at it's going to take a long time.
but discogs is the only way I would even think of doing this.
I have a lot of easy things done - bands and labels I had a lot of
releases by were quickly clicked in.

I've gradually being doing this for a few months and have 1,400 things
done now with probably 2,000 still to go.

I'm working on the cassette tape side of things at the moment,
some demos aren't in their inventory and some they only count original
copies of demos as proper releases.

I have mine on discogs. Its handy to check if i have something or not,especially reissues with diffetent sleeves,or releases from different countries etc.

Its not complete though still find stuff not listed. I often look things up when listening and add that way.

Sadly discogs have just trggered the mess that is asp and i can no longer sell the there

having to be up front with shipping costs seems like a disaster, when all you
had to do was ask the seller.
it seems the ASP online process is a pain to complete ?

I have a few things not listed on discogs but especially when it comes to
demos they have a long way to go.
usually the problem is they are missing certain pressings as far as vinyl goes.

one of the biggest buggers to log in is coloured vinyl. if a record was pressed
on several different colours you have check the record - yawn.

I've never sold records online because I'm too lazy. a lot of work for little money.

GARY - I was looking through the records you were selling a year or two back.
I had maybe 40 of 700 or so listed.
usually it was something like a hardcore EP from 20 years ago that was a buzz
about for a while and the band that aren't that well remembered now.
I have a lot of records like that,

I bought a record that was rated NM and it looks perfect but there is a lot of crackle and it's quiet music so it's very noticeable. The seller suggested that they were originally 78rpm recordings but that is nonsense. He has now located his own rip of the record and agreed that it is not NM after all and offered a 50% refund. Is that cool? I wanted a NM copy and now have a VG/VG+ copy, I still want a NM copy and am out of pocket. Not a huge amount of money but it's just annoying.

I bought a record that was rated NM and it looks perfect but there is a lot of crackle and it's quiet music so it's very noticeable. The seller suggested that they were originally 78rpm recordings but that is nonsense. He has now located his own rip of the record and agreed that it is not NM after all and offered a 50% refund. Is that cool? I wanted a NM copy and now have a VG/VG+ copy, I still want a NM copy and am out of pocket. Not a huge amount of money but it's just annoying.
if it looks nm but sounds crackly, maybe it's just dirty... have you tried cleaning it? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Not yet, I have one of the spin clean water washers but I dunno what that will do to my options as a buyer. Does it all become my own fault if the record is still crackly after it's dip? I expected that he'd offer a full return and refund on acknowledging it was incorrectly rated.

the only time i ever returned a record was when a guy mixed up the orders and even at that i just exchanged the record with the other buyer. so, i'm not one to offer much advice here. depends on how much the record cost you - whether you're going to bother with the hassle. it's nm, so it's not like it's sealed or anything - if you clean it, it's hardly going to make much of a difference if you still want to send it back, i'd say - i mean, it's not like the seller is going to notice if you've cleaned it is it?

In terms of cost (€25 inc shipping) it's not worth the hassle, but I'm a bit annoyed he took my money and sent me stuff that is not as described and then offered to still keep half the money himself. Fuck it, I'll wash it and get on it with my life.

it's annoying if you're just going to end up buying it again though... hopefully cleaning it works out

is there any way around this postage nonsense from the UK via Northern Ireland? Looking to buy something on discogs for the first time in a while but the shipping from UK is just too much. Those Parcel Motel days were magic.

In terms of cost (€25 inc shipping) it's not worth the hassle, but I'm a bit annoyed he took my money and sent me stuff that is not as described and then offered to still keep half the money himself. Fuck it, I'll wash it and get on it with my life.
if the cleaning doesn’t work I’d say he owes you a full refund plus the cost of return postage. If it’s not what you ordered you shouldn’t be a penny out of pocket, he should be.

its a while since I've used discogs but can you review the seller?

hold them over a barrel with the thread of a shit review until you get your money back (or an actual nm copy of the record, which I presume you would rather have than your 25 euro)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back