Secret Thread- No Boys Allowed (2 Viewers)

kirstie said:
Oh yes, and a bit of white shadow on the brow bone (just below your eyebrows) well blended down will add a highlight, and then mascara. You will look fabilis.
Yeah, what she said. The white on the browbone is a good idea.

Pale shades are good, but I do think there are some colours that don't suit really fair skin.

Is it eyeliner you usually use? Ahhhh....makes sense now.

Mascara is awesome. Whoever invented it should be made a saint. Kirstie, as moderator, do you have powers of canonisation?

jane said:
As for colours, I think it's cool to do whatever strikes your fancy. Pink eyeshadow with a blue top, sparkly green with a pink skirt, etc. I tend to look at colours that I might match in clothing, and then take it one step further. I imagine that you'd be into smoky colours, too, for times when you want something subtle, or for when your lipstick is particularly exciting (unless you're really trying to glam up -- which can result in a hookery appearance -- I'd only use bold colours on one or the other). I'm a fan of sparkly light green MAC liquid stuff I have. You might do well with a green shadow? You might find that really light pinks and reddish tones won't go so well with your skin, but just check out what you see other people with your skin tone wearing, and see what you think might suit you.
Ja, also, the size of your eyes has an impact too. If you have small eyes then don't use a lot of dark shadow or you'll end up looking like you have no eyes - or Rene Zelweger - I'm not sure which is worse. I agree with Jane 100% on the hooker thing - it's like showing flesh - legs OR cleavage, not both.

I hope so Jane, I hope so.

It's not actually, I just tend to apply shadow in very sharp lines and shelack it into place. Born of long years of practice, oh yes.

Oh, and the most important trick with shadow is to not end up looking like a Sky News reader and apply it from socket to browbone, in a My Avatar fashion. That's pretty much the biggest no-no.

jane said:
Yeah, what she said. The white on the browbone is a good idea.

Pale shades are good, but I do think there are some colours that don't suit really fair skin.

Is it eyeliner you usually use? Ahhhh....makes sense now.

Mascara is awesome. Whoever invented it should be made a saint. Kirstie, as moderator, do you have powers of canonisation?

god this is great, loads of help!!
it seems easy enough, i probably just need to practice for a while.
maybe at your clothes swap i can show you my new eyeshadow moves.

(i'm totally going upstairs to practice now)

do! the thing is to practice, you'll know what looks good and what you instantly have to take back off before anyone else sees the evidence!

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15101&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1628

these yokes are deadly.

SadieOutlaw said:

okay kirstie and jane, you both know what i look like, tell me how to use makeup/ what makeup to use if i were going to do so. i'm all a-curious now. the only stuff i ever use is a kinda brown chanel eyeshadow if i wake up looking like death. and maybe some mascara, but i've long eyelashes as is. i've never trusted foundation - i've seen too many orange jawlines in my line of study.

SadieOutlaw said:

oh dear god. jane, you're fucking dead.

Super Dexta said:
okay kirstie and jane, you both know what i look like, tell me how to use makeup/ what makeup to use if i were going to do so. i'm all a-curious now. the only stuff i ever use is a kinda brown chanel eyeshadow if i wake up looking like death. and maybe some mascara, but i've long eyelashes as is. i've never trusted foundation - i've seen too many orange jawlines in my line of study.
Ah, the orange jawline. Classic. That's from using a foundation that's not properly blended, and usually the wrong colour for your skin. I mean, would you paint over part of your house with a different colour than the rest of it, and expect it not to look strange?

Foundation is overused, actually. A lot of people don't need it, and, I would imagine, you might be one of them. Your skin is nice as it is, and you'd probably find pressed powder handy on some occasions, to even out your skin. Just make sure you don't get an orange one. Don't be afraid to invest in it, either. A cheap one will just look all wrong, and you'll end up buying three more before you find one you like, all of which will add up to more than the cost of a well-chosen, good one that will probably last a year or so. I also use tinted moisturiser, but only occasionally.

I reckon you'd be best off going with natural looking things, like subtle lip glosses, a bit of shimmer on the cheeks, and nice mascaras that don't do too much. I'd check out the Benefit counter in BT. The stuff they make is really girly, subtle, and good for bringing out natural features. You'll feel more girly and 'accentuated' than you will painted or gaudy.

And, if you've never worn makeup before, or aren't sure if you're comfortable with starting, it's really simple, and the same principles that apply to clothing apply to it. If you don't want to look silly, then make sure you wear what you like, not what you think you should wear.

I think the secret to good makeup is less to do with choosing the right colours for your skin and more to do with choosing the right makeup for your personality. You see too many people walking around wearing more makeup than they're obviously comfortable with. Go with what makes you feel good. That's what it's for: to make you feel good about the way you look, not to live up to fashion or to look like someone else.

No one can tell you what would or wouldn't look good on you (apart from some pretty basic stuff, like not wearing orange foundation) because what looks good on someone else might look bad on you, just by virtue of you not being happy wearing it. It can't change your face, but it can alter your attitude to your appearance: no amount of green eyeshadow can make you look prettier than you are if it doesn't make you feel good about the fact that people will be more likely to notice your eyes. Does that make sense?

No one needs makeup, and people who think they need it often put it on all wrong. You use it because it brings out what you like about yourself, and plays down what you don't. Or, it can turn a flaw into an asset. I know there are all sorts of gender-political issues at work, and buying into consumerism, and all of that, and I'm aware of them, but I think there's also so much about makeup that helps women feel more in charge of their well-being and self-esteem, that makes us feel more confident about ourselves, that it can be a really healthy thing.

But, there are days when I actually feel better with just a well-scrubbed face and maybe a little lip gloss, and I wouldn't waste the time or the makeup for a day like that. If you don't feel like wearing makeup, then don't. There's no point in doing it for anyone but yourself.

sadie, nooooooooooooooooo! :eek:
stay away from the light!!! :(
it always happens to the good ones. and the bad ones.

I agree with Jane, you don't really *need* makeup Liadian, but it's nice to wear it on occasion. Sometimes powder can be a bit drying so maybe you could get a decent tinted mosituriser (makeup does protect your skin too, as long as you're scrupulous about taking it off at night) to wear under it. A glitter eyeliner across the top of your eyelashes or something like that would be lovely too for nights out, and sheer glosses. And perhaps a bit of liquid blush blended in really, really well. Benefit do such nice stuff but it's quite dear for a student I would think. I only occasionally buy stuff by them. Maybelline do lovely glosses, and mascaras, as do Rimmel actually, and no 17 do good cheaper things like glittery shadow and stuff like that as well. And Bourgeois are good for shadow too.

jane said:
Ah, the orange jawline. Classic. That's from using a foundation that's not properly blended, and usually the wrong colour for your skin. I mean, would you paint over part of your house with a different colour than the rest of it, and expect it not to look strange?

kirstie said:
I agree with Jane, you don't really *need* makeup Liadian, but it's nice to wear it on occasion. Sometimes powder can be a bit drying so maybe you could get a decent tinted mosituriser (makeup does protect your skin too, as long as you're scrupulous about taking it off at night) to wear under it. A glitter eyeliner across the top of your eyelashes or something like that would be lovely too for nights out, and sheer glosses. And perhaps a bit of liquid blush blended in really, really well. Benefit do such nice stuff but it's quite dear for a student I would think. I only occasionally buy stuff by them. Maybelline do lovely glosses, and mascaras, as do Rimmel actually, and no 17 do good cheaper things like glittery shadow and stuff like that as well. And Bourgeois are good for shadow too.
I got out of the habit of wearing make-up a few years ago
as I managed to loose years of make-up all in one go and it seemed like
such hard work to build up a decent selection of it again.
After reading this, I may invest in a few choice bits, putting on a bit of
make-up does make getting dressed up that bit more fun!

kirstie said:
Oh, yeah, and most tinted moisturisers (as well as some foundations) have SPF in them, which will be good for you, especially if you've got sun-sensitive skin. In fact, there's some talk about it being important to wear SPF every day, even when it's not sunny. My pressed powder is SPF 17, which is cool.

Also, be a little bit careful about mascaras if you have sensitive eyes. Mine are only a little bit sensitive, and I bought a mascara that made it feel like there was glass wedged in my eyeball. Thing is, I didn't realise for a while that it was the mascara that was doing it, but thought I just had dry eyes from allergies. When the stupid mascara brush broke, I got a different kind, and I realised what had been wrong when the problem went away.

Don't be afraid to try stuff on. Even if you plan to buy most of your makeup from Boots, test out colours in BT. The makeup ladies are usually only too happy to put stuff on you (though I wouldn't let on that you don't plan to buy anything). What I usually do is try stuff on, and then, if I'm not exactly sure it's something I'd use often enough to be worth it, I wear it around for the day and see if it makes me feel awesome. If it does, I go back and buy it, and if I end up wiping it off later on, or if it makes no difference, I don't bother.

Hurrah!!

I don't wear makeup to work unless I have to go to a meeting, I just can't be bothered otherwise. It's not about hiding behind a mask at all, but I enjoy wearing makeup when I go out because then I feel like I am going OUT, you know?

kirstie said:
Hurrah!!

I don't wear makeup to work unless I have to go to a meeting, I just can't be bothered otherwise. It's not about hiding behind a mask at all, but I enjoy wearing makeup when I go out because then I feel like I am going OUT, you know?
But that's why your makeup looks good -- because it's not a mask. When people are wearing it as a mask, that's exactly what it looks like.

I wear a little during the day if I'm going somewhere. Maybe. Or if I'm trying to distract from the fact that I haven't bothered to wash my hair. I'd hardly ever waste the stuff if I were just going in to college.

I like getting a little bit dressed up to go out. It makes me feel a little sense of occasion when all I might be doing is hanging out with friends in the pub, which I think is kinda nice.

jane said:
But that's why your makeup looks good -- because it's not a mask. When people are wearing it as a mask, that's exactly what it looks like.

I wear a little during the day if I'm going somewhere. Maybe. Or if I'm trying to distract from the fact that I haven't bothered to wash my hair. I'd hardly ever waste the stuff if I were just going in to college.

I like getting a little bit dressed up to go out. It makes me feel a little sense of occasion when all I might be doing is hanging out with friends in the pub, which I think is kinda nice.
ha ha ha, you actually said this...

"But that's why your makeup looks good -- because it's not a mask. When people are wearing it as a mask, that's exactly what it looks like."

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back