Scott Walker (2 Viewers)

I love doing it. I'd like to do more of it. I've got a couple of things lined up for 2013 and 2014, which are pieces for festivals in Australia and the people at the National Concert Hall in Dublin have offered me the chance to do something.

Scott Walker in The Queitus today ...... exciting.

Awww..I heard a snippet of his new album on RTE's Arena last week...the usual garbage no surprise there,but one of the reviewers,a lady,wanted so hard to be down with it...but could only make it as far as track 8 before turning it off....and still gave it a 3.5 outta 5!

Now that is some shite reviewing right there...surely an lp you cant listen too should get a zero?

Anyway,the other lad reviewing genuinely loved it,obviously a masochist,and gave it 5.

I've been back on a serious Scott Walker buzz the last couple of weeks.
Bish Bosch is rather enjoyable to me. It's a lot more enteratining than Tilt or The Drift. Less gloomy, more skittish. It's my work album for the moment.

I just wish he'd stop all the messing and start writing actual songs again,and arranging with a more conventinal western style.

I just cant ever see when I would be in the mood to listen to 15 minutes of a gorilla banging on an 40 foot shipping container.

Music,naturally is a highly personal and subject experience and this is just my opinion.Although I am amazed that anyone buys this shit.

Same goes for algorhytmically generated music as well.Just stick on some whitehouse and get it over with.

I've listened to Bish Bosch a few times now, I enjoy it, I like the way there's a bit more going on in terms of dynamics, mood, delivery and so on than there was with the last two, even though this new one is still very self contained. I'm just not so sure that I'll still be as drawn to listen to this as I am to Tilt after I've become as familiar with it and the lyrics and the events that occur along the way. Tilt (and The Drift too but a bit less so) is basically old fashioned tunes with unusual arrangements but there are chorus-like bits and heart-stopping orchestral swells and stuff which I kinda like. Those kinda things are all gone now and I suspect that I'll start missing them if I keep listening to Bish Bosch. Or else I'll finally throw off the shackles of my narrow musical expectations and soar free of restrictive conventions such as melody and rhythm etc and only ever more strange scott walker albums will satisfy me.

I must have a listen to Climate of the Hunter later. I can't remember what that sounds like.

Gorillas banging on shipping containers sounds all right to me.

Was listening to BB the other day and thinking that maybe its not even right to refer to this thing as music at all. It's packaged the way music is, it's divided into "sOngs" that have titles and so on, it's mostly played on instruments and has singing but its so far away from what I listened to after it (Silver Jews) that it seems absurd that they fall under the same general umbrella of terminology. It's more like a very strange performed poetry with accompanying sounds, Foley effects, atmospherics and so on.

I wOnt be throwing it on while I'm doing the washing-up but all the same, its pretty compelling stuff.

I wOnt be throwing it on while I'm doing the washing-up but all the same, its pretty compelling stuff.

That sounds interesting and all, and I'll check it out

But at the same time ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Scott? C'mon Scott.

As much as I love his old stuff, I don't really think the world needs more music that sounds like old music. Scott Walker is actually making something new and exciting and most of you want him to write the same music he did 40-50 years ago? I know it's not exactly easy listening now but god forbid you should actually sit down and have to pay attention to something challenging for an hour. Put the effort in, you'll get loads more back out of it.

http://rogerdboyle.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/scott-walker-bish-bosch-reviews.html

Scott Walker - Bish Bosch: reviews
A visit to Google will yield many reviews of Scott Walker's "Bish Bosch". Some representative comments are:

The first time I heard Bish Bosch, I never wanted to hear it again.
... who wants to buy an album you can hardly bear to listen to?
The first thing you hear is 30 seconds of drums that aren't so much being pounded as punished, overlaid with a kind of electronic shriek. And this is one of the more approachable moments on Bish Bosch.
Bish Bosch is sick with corporeal disgust and philosophical disquiet
Walker has always protested that people miss the humour in his work - in fairness, that's perhaps an inevitable consequence of writing songs about existential despair, Nicolae Ceausescu, illness, and disgust at the human body
... listening to Bish Bosch is a bruising, draining experience
There's something repellently fascinating about Scott Walker's notion of music these days.
At the center of it all is an old man wailing about cutting off his own balls and feeding them to someone.
And, boy, has Walker really bitched it this time - nine new astounding abominations, nine new non-songs, bastards all, hymns without harmony, sheer discordia, and, lyrically, nothing but beasts, buggeries, and decapitations.
... furious assault of dystopian instrumentation

To be fair, here are a couple of the rather fewer positive [sic] comments:

I started listening to this album with a mild amusement but kept returning to it to be both terrified and impressed in equal measure.
It might not encourage repeat plays, but to dismiss it as a racket is to do it, and its maker, a huge disservice.

Well, I've listened to it twice now.

I suspect some of these reviewers have not heard some other things I possess since they might then find Bish Bosch disappointingly melodic. While it may not be the thing I would play when Mother-in-law's at home, it's certainly a possession of note. Ah, that voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back