Scott Walker (1 Viewer)

eclectichoney said:
dya get it in tower? the girl said they got in one but it was damaged and sent it back? how much was it?
no, I got it in Music City Rat-mines
I got my money back as they didn't have another in stock

must have been a bad batch or summat

it was €60 - good value for 5 CDs. Booklet is quite disappointing and skimpy though.

I'll wait till after Christmas and see if some other shop gets it in

update:
hmv are selling box for €50
all copies are faulty

confused.gif

from amazing.com

A shabby tribute to a great artist..., December 11, 2003
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Reviewer: Ferrara Brain Pan (see more about me) from San Francisco, CA USA [/size][/font]

.........................One final warning (which demonstrates just how shoddy this whole production is): The copy I bought of this box is defective. Bizarre as it must sound, Disc Three has ONLY ONE CHANNEL OF AUDIO (the right channel) - The left channel of the stereo mix is entirely absent. I returned it to the store where I bought it (a megastore which had about a dozen copies in stock at the time of purchase) and was told by the sales clerk that THE WHOLE PRESSING IS DEFECTIVE in this respect: no left channel on Disc Three. This type of error seems like it would have to have occurred at the mastering stage and would seem likely to be reproduced on ALL COPIES, though I am not in a position to affirm this. I exchanged the defective box for another one and found the same problem. When the clerk told me he had read online that the whole pressing is defective and that the label would probably not bother to do a second pressing, I decided to live with it, since I already have all but two relatively minor tracks from Disc Three on other CDs in my collection in their full stereo mix. But jeez, this is one bottom o' the budget compilation, I gotta say...

Maybe they don't know they are faulty? i bought one this morning for 50 squid (they don't say anything about them being faulty on them!) and am going to bring it back to get a refund as it doesn't work (i bought it before reading the comments about the problem being so widespread i hasten to add). But i heard some people at the SW yahoo group saying they rang mercury records who sent them out a repleacement disc three which works fine, so I am guessing it will be available in a 'working set'.

eclectichoney said:
Maybe they don't know they are faulty? i bought one this morning for 50 squid (they don't say anything about them being faulty on them!) and am going to bring it back to get a refund as it doesn't work (i bought it before reading the comments about the problem being so widespread i hasten to add). But i heard some people at the SW yahoo group saying they rang mercury records who sent them out a repleacement disc three which works fine, so I am guessing it will be available in a 'working set'.
I bought one in HMV Saturday morning, went across to Burger King and tested the 5 CDs in the discman. CD3 was faulty as described so I went straight back and informed them. The guy who was processing the refund said that "they're all faulty and should never have been put on display. Sorry about that."

jaakko said:
My box was allright...bought it a bit after release, maybe a few months

The Drift is leaked into Soulseek, first listen so can't day much but continues in the same vein as TILT

Here's the BBC Culture Show bit http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZpwhMiFNPcI&search=scott%20walker

seems like a nice lad

Cheers jaakko

The packaging on the box is crappy isn't it? Worse than Mojo's Acid Drops Psychedelia set. Great music though.

The Classics and Collectibles comp from a few months go is pretty interesting too.

Scott's four tracks on 'Nite Flights' make one of the great and singular suites in recording history.
3 + 4 are mindblowing.
Tilt is wonderful and 'Climate of hunter' has incredible moments (Evan Parker on 'Track four' ..... jeebus)

nlgbbbblth said:
Cheers jaakko

The packaging on the box is crappy isn't it? Worse than Mojo's Acid Drops Psychedelia set. Great music though.

The Classics and Collectibles comp from a few months go is pretty interesting too.

Yes, very dull packaging and the booklet is a joke. "Blaah blaah we love you scotty" ten times signed by radiohead, neil hannon, mark almond and the usual suspects

This "A Deep Shade of Blue" biography on Scott is quite good - the 60's part is Very interesting, scott stuffing 20+ players in a small studio because union rules prevented overdubbing, scott moving house couple times a year,scott staging car crashes to avoid going to army...but didn't even finish the book, gets really boring and speculative cause it's not an autobiography and no one really knows what the guy did in those days...disappointingly also the book doesn't cover the Tilt era

That 30 century man will have to be great

Tilt is a bit "hollywood soundtrack" production-wise for my tastes, but it's been a while since I gave it a spin. Maybe my opinion has changed.

Looking forward to having a listen to the new one though.

d.

Hey can anyone explain to me in a sentence or two what the hell Tilt is about?

Also, why does he call himself Engels on the songwriting credits?

Pantone247 said:
it's his name isn't it???

I don't think any of the Walker Brothers second name was Walker... and none of them were borthers...

I'm a spa. I realise that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back