Science/Fantasy fiction bukes (1 Viewer)

Yeah, the typical sort of question there is "Which author said "The Guardian quizzes are shit"? Is it A - Philip Cock B - Arthur C Children C - Michael Moordick or D - Joe Handyman"

to which of course the correct answer is "E - I don't give a fucking fuck you complete piece of shit quiz, I'd rather actually read some fucking books than do a quiz about a bunch of shit anecdotes thanks very much"

Haven't read anything by him, but he is well acknowledged as having originated the term Robot. Czech guy I believe, I think he was more of an all-round writer rather than someone that focused specifically on sci-fi, as far as I recall

Asimov was big fan it seems

Yeah, the typical sort of question there is "Which author said "The Guardian quizzes are shit"? Is it A - Philip Cock B - Arthur C Children C - Michael Moordick or D - Joe Handyman"

to which of course the correct answer is "E - I don't give a fucking fuck you complete piece of shit quiz, I'd rather actually read some fucking books than do a quiz about a bunch of shit anecdotes thanks very much"

Yikes! I should never have mentioned it...

They seem to be having a sci-fi party at the guardian this weekend

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/science-fiction

I'm glad to see Brian Aldiss is still alive, his website has been offline for ages for a redesign. He is there enthusing about Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker. I read another stapledon book because aldiss said it was good but it was a load of shite.

Some great books in there, and a few I've been meaning to check out for a while too.
Aldiss is a great writer, definitely one of the best. The Malacia Tapestry is fucking amazing.
Good to see a couple of writers citing The Stars My Destination too, easily one of the all-time greats.
The thing that keeps amazing me though, is nobody into Jack Vance except me? He's my favourite author of all, and guys like Gene Wolfe and Aldiss would be nowhere without him, but he is never mentioned on these lists. Yet for me, The Demon Princes series (to pick one work) is easily one of the best sci-fi works ever. The last two books in particular are total masterpieces.

bruce_pennington_the_shadow_of_the_torturer.jpg

I'm making a t-shirt out of this. Should I just have Severian in his fuligin cloak striding over the hill and cut out all the background shit or should I have the castles and shit in it too? The background is cool but it might make for a more stylish shirt to keep it minimal

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. It's about the colonisation of Mars by humans escaping a nuclear devastated Earth. Bradbury has to up there with the all time greats - his other works The Illustrated Man,, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Farenheit 451 ( A Dystopian Masterpiece to rival 1984) were all turned into major Hollywood movies. This one was turned into an 80's television mini series complete with dodgy production values but was enjoyable enough all the same. The book though, is a gem. Here is a clip from that miniseries

[video=youtube_share;61p4G_ioBlY]http://youtu.be/61p4G_ioBlY[/video]

Usually read fantasy or historical fiction, but was given "A Fire Upon The Deep" and enjoying it so far.

947-1.jpg

Recently finished The Name of The Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss and really enjoyed and would recommend both.

Reading Ken McLeods Intrusion, dystopian satire. Good so far.

Recently finished The Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge, direct sequei to A Fire Upon the Deep. Years go by, the kids grow up, struggle for power, more wars, a doggy Edison. Enjoyed it.

children-of-the-sky-cover-large.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back