sampling - loops and hits and what not (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
I'm mucking around more and more with sampling in Reaper of late, I'm finding really enjoyable, but really fustrating and confusing in almost equal measures. Does anyone do much of this sort of stuff? I guess I'm coming at it from a Board of Canada, Four Tet, IDM meets Hip Hop sort of way

Sampled my drum kit, for hits, and trigger them in Reapers MIDI editor, but it's loops that get confusing, should I be look at 'slicing' (???) up loops for more control over timing and tempo, or to create melodys, again do people go for 'hits' of certain instruments, and trigger MIDI patterns, or find loops of melodys and re-pitch them? Am I looking 'slicing' stuff up to small parts?

I know there's not hard and fast rules here, but just curious if anyone has worked this way

am willing to accept that none of this makes any sense

this was posted by someone else before - its about half relevant to what your on about, in that its a handy tempo based tool.

http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/delay-time-calculator.htm

you should watch the prodigy 'making of' youtubes if you haven't seen them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

also, if i remember correctly, 's' is the keyboard shortcut to slice in reaper.

that calculator is handy, have something similar as an app at home

and while I'm loathe to watch anything connected to The Prodigy, I probably should

just more interested in peoples experiences or does anyone around here work in such a way?

in fairness they're awful, the best you could say is the early singles were demented and had a sense of humour about them, (Charlie says and that one about sending you into space), but once they got Keith out on vocals and went all Firestarter it got grim.. if you were in college around the time Fat of the Land came out you'll remember it sound tracking many/every shit student party you ever went too.. they are the dance equivilent of The Stereophonics, just re-hashing the same tricks, to the same crowd, while to anyone outside that crowd they're popularity, at this stage, is just inexplicable.

So anyway, back to the question at hand..

Reasamp is the dogs....

Man I love that so much...

I havent sampled any drum sounds myself..I just lift them...as for loops...I tweak em in soundforge then paste them into an audio track..then put a stolen midi drum track over it and use that to trig the samples

one approach is to chop a loop up into equal divisions, eg 1/8 notes or 1/16th notes. then "play" the slices using pads or keys, with quantize turned on. record yourself improvising doing this for a while and when you listen back you should have some interesting loops. You can also repitch or effect some of the slices in a random way for a bit of variety. this is how a lot of hiphop was made on MPCs. Instead of slicing by tempo you can also slice by transient, i.e. make the cuts where theres a strong note or sound in the sample so when you play it you get a sound instantly, rather then just a piece of a drum beat or whatever.
When doing this you should have autofades on so theres no clicks and stuff, don't know reaper that well but ableton has a really simple way of doing all of the automatically.

Hope some of that makes sense!

PS if your feeling lazy check out the free VST SupaTrigga

actually those 'making of' the progidy vids are really, really good.. and I hate the progidy, yr man's ear for the samples and porcessing is astounding.. good watch

thanks Ogy, as time consuming and irritating as it is it's probably the way forward. At the moment I'm cutting 4 bar or 8 bar loops, and it's getting repetitive really, really quickly...

In Reaper if you right-click a piece of audio and select >item processing>dynamic split and then mess with the settings you can automatically chop up your audio in various ways, even into individual "hits" and then move them about / quantise them or whatever...

you shouldn't have to chop it all manually. i don't know reaper too well but as pissy pants said theres an automatic way of chopping by beat or transient in most recent DAWs. after you've got the slices, rather than trying to rearrange them, throw them into a drum machine or something and it should be a less hassle, more creative, process.

Yeah that's a good point. I've often thrown slices like this into a Reason Rex file and then you're free to "play" them and come up with something good.
There doesn't have to be any consistency in timing or pitch of the different samples accross your keyboard - just think of your piano keyboard as an 88 key MPC type instrument and go hog wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back