sample / bit rates (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
I havent been paying any attention at all to what sample rate or bit rate i've been recording in all year. If I'm bouncing tracks to free up cpu or for mixes should I just go to 24/48 in case I want to do anything to the finished tracks before turning them into mp3s? Am I right in thinking increasing the sample rate doesnt have any negative effect on the audio?

Protools used to force me to decide at the start of a session what sample rates to use, reaper doesnt give a fuck.

Any sample rate conversion will have a negative effect on your audio.
The less of them you do, the better.
It'll be a subtle change, but will add up the more converted tracks you have etc.

Having said that, you should absofuckinlutely be working at 24 bit, it makes a big difference.

In my experience upsampling does no audible harm. It's the inevitable trip back down to 44.1k that can cause problems. And the other problem is all sample rate conversion algorithms are NOT equal.
iZotopes one that's bundled in a few apps is one of the best imho.

but.....upsampling will not add anything audible to your audio either, except putting a higher strain on you CPU when mixing etc.

I imagine if your Reaper project is at one sample rate and then you have audio at multiple sample rates within it, then I would guess there's a lot of sample rate conversion happening on the fly, in the mixer, or in pluggins. I don't know much about Reaper, but that kind of thing would be increasing pressure on your CPU and may also produce unwanted audible artifacts.
So I’d avoid that scenario....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back