Running? (1 Viewer)

I've tried it and found it really monotonous. The main think that puts me off running is anyone I know who is a long term runner has problems with their hips or their knees, or their feet, or their back due to the running.

I've tried it and found it really monotonous. The main think that puts me off running is anyone I know who is a long term runner has problems with their hips or their knees, or their feet, or their back due to the running.
Yes that is a great fear of mine, my dad's knees are in bits from too much Badminton when he was younger! I'm trying to find a happy medium, although the temptation to train for a marathon at least once is there.

Quiet plug for DDP yoga here for those concerned about their joints but who want decent exercise. Bonus, you can do it without leaving hte house
Yes, will probably take up a bit of that, your posts have not gone unnoticed!
I found running to be entirely monotonous and I hate gyms so I got a cross trainer and now I exercise while watching horror movies at home
Sounds awful tbh, I like running in whatever the weather is.

Yes that is a great fear of mine, my dad's knees are in bits from too much Badminton when he was younger! I'm trying to find a happy medium, although the temptation to train for a marathon at least once is there.

That's very impressive I've been outdoors a bit more often lately and only doing a little walking or biking but even that makes a difference I think.

@Burgerbarbaby do you still do the barefoot running?
Hey.
No, no running at all sadly. I had a work injury to my back so I had to knock it off. I was up to 14 mile runs a couple of times a week, I LOVED it. I intend to do it again but I'm too busy at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) to do the several hours of physio a day to get my back -er- back. I now have a bit of a gut for the first time, it's a daily reminder to get my shit together. But my physio tells me it's not that far away if I can give it the time.
Running was definitely good times though. I'd recommend the barefoot stuff to anyone...the sandals are super easy to make (or you can get vibram five fingers). The sandals take a small bit of getting used to but they're incredible. And they cost about €1 and last for months. The other thing, while you're figuring the barefoot thing out, is to go running every now and then with someone who does it. There are loads in Dublin. I can put you in touch if you like. Having someone look at your form while you're running is a huge advantage....they'll see stuff you could never figure out on your own which will save you time and pain.
The barefoot running forces you to run with much less impact....you can just keep going and going. Since I had to stop I'm kinda out of touch with the running community, but for as long as I was doing it there didn't seem to be any downside whatsoever to the process.
That book "Born To Run" was a huge help to me by the way, I'd recommend reading it. On a lot of levels - technique, background, encouragement.
This is the video series I used to make my huaraches (running sandals):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I used flip-flop soles for mine, seemed grand.

Go for it!! Give it a month!

@pete instead of running, what about swimming or an exercise bike for getting your heart/lung capacity up? Low impact on the knees too.

I ended up rupturing a disc in my back a couple of years ago. The running was going great, but has entirely stopped. The injury is under control, and I'm able for most stuff but I can't really run just now. I'm hoping I'll be able to go back to it at some point in the near-ish future. Got a huge amount of disciplined physio to do between now and then, which I'm not in a position to do at the moment.
Depressing reading. Well loads of OTHER stuff has changed in that time, even if I haven't got my back fixed up.

I've actually been following a couch to 5k thing since the start of January, was simple (ish) for the first few weeks because I generally go for a short run a few times a week anyway, but it's getting into proper tough territory now - actually pushing myself to go for longer which I haven't really done in a year or two. I did apparently run 5k today without stopping, a 25 minute run, which is nice. I don't think i've ever done that before. I'm sure i'll get an injury soon and @ann post will gloat but still, NOT BAD.

Ultra-marathons here I come.
up to 30 minutes today, was no problem actually. Suppose I just keep going pushing this? Maybe build up to 10k.

It's really eating into my drinking time though because running the night after a few drinks sucks.

up to 30 minutes today, was no problem actually. Suppose I just keep going pushing this? Maybe build up to 10k.

It's really eating into my drinking time though because running the night after a few drinks sucks.

I actually find hangover running ok. It kind of helps clear out the system.

The one thing I'm finding at the moment, and I don't know if it's a general hectic life thing or a running thing, but I am finding myself getting pretty run down over the last while. Generally when I go running nowadays, it's at lunch time a few days a week and it's normally for 30-40 minutes. I'm not going at all this week because I'm smothered with a head cold and runnings not going to help.

I'm just wondering though if there's any changes i should be making diet wise or does any one have any recommendations there?

I actually find hangover running ok. It kind of helps clear out the system.

The one thing I'm finding at the moment, and I don't know if it's a general hectic life thing or a running thing, but I am finding myself getting pretty run down over the last while. Generally when I go running nowadays, it's at lunch time a few days a week and it's normally for 30-40 minutes. I'm not going at all this week because I'm smothered with a head cold and runnings not going to help.

I'm just wondering though if there's any changes i should be making diet wise or does any one have any recommendations there?

I'm off the exercise for the last week and a half for similar reasons, I really miss it.

Granted I have a particular condition which means I need the supplements, and often buying vitamins is just a way to make your piss expensive but you could look into b12 supplements or eating foods that are high in it. I was suffering from major fatigue issues until I was diagnosed

I'm off the exercise for the last week and a half for similar reasons, I really miss it.

Granted I have a particular condition which means I need the supplements, and often buying vitamins is just a way to make your piss expensive but you could look into b12 supplements or eating foods that are high in it. I was suffering from major fatigue issues until I was diagnosed

I like this phrase. I do actually know a few people suffering b12 deficiencies and that does make sense. I find that I get on great for a few weeks and I'm full of energy but it's not sustainable and I end up getting run down, mouth ulcers, head colds and the like. I do have a fair bit on between work, college and the kids so it might just be my body's way of saying "sit the fuck down for a minute"

I'm getting back in to shape at the min. Bike commuting to work,as a painter on a big site. The weight has fallen off me. Be back out running soon, although I kinda need Saturday and sunday to recover cos my job is a proper 8 hour work out. So I need to wait til I'm bouncing off the walls on a Saturday morning,then I'll be ready to run

That sweet fitness though. I want all of it .And running gets you fitter than everything else.

Second morning out for a runwalk...back at absolute zero but won't be long getting back in the swing of it!
Feels good to pound the pavement once again

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back