royalties (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to find out the standard cost a radio station, say BBC radio 1 (e.g)
would have to pay for playing a bands track once. I was told
years ago in Sound Tech college that it was in the region of 5-7£'s.
Not sure if this is accurate.

Recorded Artists and Performers (RAAP)
Arena House
4 Glenville Terrace,
Dundrum,
Dublin 14
Tel: 353-1-2960258 Fax: 353-1-2962888
Web: www.raap.ie
RAAP is a not-for-profit organisation which oversees the collection of royalties/residuals for performers whose work is used overseas. All monies collected are passed on in full with no deductions. Membership of RAAP is FREE. RAAP works closely with BECS, its counterpart in the UK, to ensure that artists receive the monies to which they are legally entitled. They also work to strengthen performers’ rights here in Ireland and Europe by lobbying Dublin and Brussels. Equity recommends all artistes avail of this service by filling in and returning the RAAP Membership Form enclosed at the back of your handbook.

I'm trying to find out the standard cost a radio station, say BBC radio 1 (e.g)
would have to pay for playing a bands track once. I was told
years ago in Sound Tech college that it was in the region of 5-7£'s.
Not sure if this is accurate.
AFAIK each station has to hand over a percentage of its revenue to the collection societies, so the cost depends on the station and its listenership. Just call IMRO up and ask them

I thought it depends on the country. I remember some dude telling me (ages ago) ireland was £7 while the US is something mad like $50.
Might be differences between countries, alright, but there's no standard fee for radio play in Ireland. Would pretty unfair if there was, would cost some tiny radio station the same to play a tune for 10 people as it costs 2FM to play a tune for 50000

The function of the RAAP is to collect mechanical royalties for musical performance, not publishing royalties. A small percentage of all royalties is set aside for non-writing performers so if you played tuba on 'All you need is love'..... there's a small fortune owing to you. I've made more money from this than from 'proper' royalties I can tell you.

If IMRO were half as good at getting playlists from DJs and cuesheets from TV shows as they are at getting fees from schools I'd probably be a lot more comfortable... plus my cash wouldn't be going to U2 and Enya (no dividends for regular members y'see)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back