Rock n roll or what (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 75
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 2
I'm still waiting to hear a Residents songs that doesn't sound like a nightmare come to life
Me too.

And that’s a fair point, are Devo the optimistic outcome of this melting pot of the late 60s/early 70s? The Residents plumb the depths while Devo try and get out? Find out next week on Thumped!

Me too.

And that’s a fair point, are Devo the optimistic outcome of this melting pot of the late 60s/early 70s? The Residents plumb the depths while Devo try and get out? Find out next week on Thumped!
I know Devo's thing is that they were at the Kent State shootings and Devo was a reaction to it, here, I found a quote on wiki

Gerald Casale:

All I can tell you is that it completely and utterly changed my life. I was a white hippie boy and then I saw exit wounds from M1 rifles out of the backs of two people I knew.

Two of the four people who were killed, Jeffrey Miller and Allison Krause, were my friends. We were all running our asses off from these motherfuckers. It was total, utter bullshit. Live ammunition and gasmasks—none of us knew, none of us could have imagined ... They shot into a crowd that was running away from them!

I stopped being a hippie and I started to develop the idea of devolution. I got real, real pissed off

What's the deal with the Residents, do people even know?

I know Devo's thing is that they were at the Kent State shootings and Devo was a reaction to it, here, I found a quote on wiki

Gerald Casale:

All I can tell you is that it completely and utterly changed my life. I was a white hippie boy and then I saw exit wounds from M1 rifles out of the backs of two people I knew.

Two of the four people who were killed, Jeffrey Miller and Allison Krause, were my friends. We were all running our asses off from these motherfuckers. It was total, utter bullshit. Live ammunition and gasmasks—none of us knew, none of us could have imagined ... They shot into a crowd that was running away from them!

I stopped being a hippie and I started to develop the idea of devolution. I got real, real pissed off

Yeah I remember reading that before. Grim.

Not sure with The Residents, I think they were just local art weirdos into Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart. Not a lot of personal info out there, or if there is I haven’t read it.

I'm not a huge fan of Devo or anything but I always saw them as a force for good. I've listened to the Residents and they're certainly more extreme than anything i've hard by Devo, it's interesting stuff but I'm still waiting to hear a Residents songs that doesn't sound like a nightmare come to life. Devo do have a bunch of fun songs that don't go out of their way to be incredibly offputting, not sure I can say the same about The Residents (not that I think that's a bad thing btw).

Also, fuck Mark Mothersbaugh for that "actually the demos are better than the original album" Human League nonsense. Does he have an account on here or something? I assume they're those The Future demos, they're good stuff but get a grip.
and of course with DEVO it is true that their demos were their finest hour. the records are good but never got close to the Hard Devo recordings.

Gerry and Mark were both art students at Kent State when the shootings happened. one of their slain friends was younger student Jeffrey Miller who Gerry was mentoring as part of his scholarship.
the National Guard who shot the students were the same age.

Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerry Casale have both spoken about this many times inc in the book of interviews Simon Reynolds did for his post punk history - Totally Wired: Post Punk Interviews and Overviews

Anyone ever play Elite Beat Agents? A nintendo DS game where you help people with their life problems by calling in your team of special agent dancers, all to soundalike Japanese covers.

At the end of the game you save the world from aliens by getting the whole planet to dance to Jumpin' Jack Flash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interview with Homer Flynn here. Dig that Louisiana accent.

great. a band I never listened to enough.
love the way Homer just about keeps it together saying 'they' instead of 'I'

Gerald Casale:

I was reading a thing about devo a while back where they talked about how they were a semi-well-known band in Ohio, and then brian eno got wind of them, they show up in new york, their first non-ohio gig is in CBGBs, where they are introduced onstage by david bowie. almost like a parody of how-to-be-cool-in-the-big-city

i know the stones were a bit edgy at times, but having anton chigurgh on drums was an unusual move even for them.

Thats some show!

The talk of the Residents earlier reminded of this gig I was at in the Continental in NYC in the 90's.
Anyway, this young band from somewhere outta state came on, they were from the midwest or something.About 6 of them lads and girls. The singer was dressed as superman. They proceed to make a Residents style racket while the singer hurled abuse at the audience. After about 2 mins of this he jumped off the stage and got into a brawl with a bunch of rough looking rockers up the front. And that was the show. I think DH Peligro came on next but that may have been a different night cos we were playing that gig as well.

It was fairly scary. I wish I knew what they were called.

Ooh I just remembered it mighta been headlined by the King Brothers. Incredible band

I've never spent much time with Devo but (of course) I've a kent state hoody because UTM likes to go to the grimmest places on the planet these days that i've been wearing for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back