Road Records - A message from the staff (1 Viewer)

This is terrible news and a wakeup call we could do without.

That's really the bottom line though, isn't it? People need to make a choice about how and where they get their music - is maybe saving a quid or two here or there really more important than having places like Road?

It's totally brought home to me how important local record stores are - sure, we all have our own indie stores we love but I think lots of us, myself included, have underestimated how much of an impact us spending our money in other stores has on indie record shops.
Most people tend to shop around, download stuff, go to chain stores and buy in indies. And that was probably fine when we were all riding high on the celtic tiger, but now more than ever it's time to take stock and really support independent record stores.
It's not like many of us have a lot of money, but I'm sure when we do want a CD or record we can take our custom to the people for whom it really matters.

Gah. That's a blow to the city for sure. Road has been something of a public service for at least a few hundred people since opening. The bulging Irish independent 'artist' section is proof of that - stuffed with a colourful range of detritus, curios, and hidden gems. I can't imagine them ever refusing to stock anything! I just hope I bought more over the years than the value of the space I took up with unsaleable stock...

Hopefully as someone said the online end of things can keep running for a while.

Worst first post ever too!

I'll be in on Sat to buy stuff.

It's totally brought home to me how important local record stores are - sure, we all have our own indie stores we love but I think lots of us, myself included, have underestimated how much of an impact us spending our money in other stores has on indie record shops.
Most people tend to shop around, download stuff, go to chain stores and buy in indies. And that was probably fine when we were all riding high on the celtic tiger, but now more than ever it's time to take stock and really support independent record stores.
It's not like many of us have a lot of money, but I'm sure when we do want a CD or record we can take our custom to the people for whom it really matters.

hit the nail on the head there.
would rarely have ventured into road but anytime i have it always seemed to be tipping away. pretty shocked to hear this like. i guess people just start to take it for granted that their fave shops will always be there... if somewhere like city discs/plugd closed i'd be absolutely gutted. i buy a stupid amount of stuff online :( this kinda thing would make me rethink that big time. stone broke this month but will be back to buying records, in shops!, like a bastard come the last friday of the month.

Fuck this.
The best shop and resource for Dublin (and Irish) music going. Don't forget the excellent Road Relish Singles Club too.
All I ever really bought there was local releases but I used pop in everytime I was in town which admittedly has been less and less frequent over the last few years.
Really really sad news.

Gosh, this is really sad, I go through phases of buying cds and have been out of the habit, got a couple of xmas presents in your shop and remembered how great it is, to have an eclectic selection of quality music rather than an ocean of drivel to trawl through. I hope you guys find something amazing to do instead and I'm sorry you didn't get as much back as you contributed. x

That's really the bottom line though, isn't it? People need to make a choice about how and where they get their music - is maybe saving a quid or two here or there really more important than having places like Road?

Couldn't agree more Pete, it's something for people to think about.

Thanks Dave and Julie for all the recommendations, holding of records behind the counter, cups of tea and great company. You'll be sorely missed. Hope to meet baby Paddy soon.

S

This is such sad news. Like some of the others I only discovered Road in recent years but will miss it very much.

I hope that the future will be bright for you both (all three in fact).

Sorry to hear this Dave & Julie but I am sure you will now have the opportunnity to explore new avenues and spend some quality time with the baba.

Feel mad guilty about my general lack of vinyl purchasing over the past 2/3 years now... I'm not a downloader just haven't been making or able to find the time to browse the shops as I get older like you alluded to

Yeh tis a shame alright, Julie your an absolute legend and i wish the both of you well.............

Ya hit the nail on the head, kids dont buy music anymore, there used to disposable made in a day shite, thats free, its all about style over substance, man this is a damm shame, road was a fantastic little shop

So sorry to hear that Dave, yourself and Julie have done nothing but good for Dublin. Such sad news, but you can be sure you've enriched the lives of so many people! Good luck with whatever you do next.

Dave and Julie, you've made an immeasurable contribution to music in Dublin and will be sadly missed and fondly remembered.
I hope that the new start in life for all three of you is rewarding, you deserve the very best.

:heart::heart::heart:

Absoloutely gutted. My favourite record store in Dublin, one of my favourite record stores anywhere for that matter..

Thanks for being such an amazing help to not just the bands i've been involved with, but all independant bands in Dublin. You will be sorely missed. :(

Sad news Dave & Julie, i feared times must have been proving difficult for you and so it appears. Thanks for everything over the last 11 years, the best shop in Dublin, bar none.
Best of luck with everything, and thanks again!
enda

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back