Road Records - A message from the staff (1 Viewer)

Jesus how sad is this?
Must've been a very tough and scarey decision to make and it sounds quite final.
Will the end be appropriately marked? I mean the number of acts that only had to say the word 'Road' at gigs to point fans to their releases is amazing.
Ye deserve a decent round of applause(or a few rounds of booze) from the grateful.
G'luck.
:)P

this is sad sad sad news.
best of luck in the future Dave and Julie, thanks for being supportive and turning me onto so much deadly music.
a sad day in Dublin life.

God, I nearly cried reading that post...I've only just moved to Dublin so I was never a regular customer or anything but I'd heard nothing but good things about Road and it was clear it was really important to both the Irish music scene and Irish bands.
I'm so sorry that ye have to close, and I really hope that this isn't the way forward for other independent record stores. I'd be gutted if Plugd closed for example.
Maybe it's the kick some of us need to get out there and support local shops rather than downloading or buying stuff in chain stores. :( I know it's given me food for thought and I wish I'd supported Road when I had the chance.
Best of luck in the future Dave and Julie and congrats on the new baby.

good luck to you guys. i loved your little shop; the chit chat and the personal touch. you will certainly be missed.

Terrible news :eek:

I didn't shop there as much as I should've in the recent times but if there was an old / obscure album that someone recommended Road would always be my first port of call when I was in town.

Due to hardly ever being in Dublin and never being able to find my way to places I wanted to go to and still being some what of a young sprog my first time in Road was only about a month ago. Still gutted though, it's a really nice shop and I was amazed to pick up a Large Mound/The Kabinboy split there, amongst all the other irish bands there.

As sweetoblivion has said it's comparable to losing Plugd down here, and I really really like Plugd.

The best of luck for the future Dave and Julie and congrats on the baby.

What an amazing post. It's so incredibly sad that the shop has to close but you explain it all so very well Dave. All I can say is that the shop and yourself and Julie will be truly missed on the Dublin scene. I really feel that without you the independent scene in Dublin would never have developed the way it has. On a personal note I just want to thank you both so much for all the support and encouragement you have given me in my own music over the years.

Congrats on the new baby - I had sort of half heard something but wasn't sure. As an expectant father myself (baby due last friday but taking its time) I know how exciting that must be for you.

Thanks again and the very best of luck with everything for the future.

This is terrible news and a wakeup call we could do without.

... get out there and support local shops rather than downloading or buying stuff in chain stores.

That's really the bottom line though, isn't it? People need to make a choice about how and where they get their music - is maybe saving a quid or two here or there really more important than having places like Road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back