Rival Schools (1 Viewer)

Must revisit that first album...

Took the easy option and stuck on Used for Glue, then Quicksand's Manic Compression instead. Class songwriting, savage little guitar parts and tone.

Jesus, I remember that Witnness show. Holy mother. 1300 in the day, just got inside, I reckon. Balls out sunny, no cans or maybe one or two inside me trying to pogo very awkwardly as there wasn't that many people there just pockets of empty space. Festivals are bollocks, and this is why - turning up at 1300 in the day and trying to get into something outdoors that only makes sense in a 200-400 capacity pub venue after a heap of Dutch Golds on the sly. Stomachs are not keen on Dutch before lunch.

Hardly the same year Lift to Experience playing on the Sunday? [Trail of Dead played the same day, same tent and they delivered on their killer live reputation. Looking back, or even at the time, everything they've done aside from Madonna is utter crap.]

I know I skipped Sonic Youth for Green Day and I still don't regret it!

Must revisit that first album...

Took the easy option and stuck on Used for Glue, then Quicksand's Manic Compression instead. Class songwriting, savage little guitar parts and tone.

Jesus, I remember that Witnness show. Holy mother. 1300 in the day, just got inside, I reckon. Balls out sunny, no cans or maybe one or two inside me trying to pogo very awkwardly as there wasn't that many people there just pockets of empty space. Festivals are bollocks, and this is why - turning up at 1300 in the day and trying to get into something outdoors that only makes sense in a 200-400 capacity pub venue after a heap of Dutch Golds on the sly. Stomachs are not keen on Dutch before lunch.

Hardly the same year Lift to Experience playing on the Sunday? [Trail of Dead played the same day, same tent and they delivered on their killer live reputation. Looking back, or even at the time, everything they've done aside from Madonna is utter crap.]
The latest Trail of Dead album is pretty decent. And that Source Tags one was alright. Apart from that, haven't really listened to anything after Madonna

I missed Lift to Experience, I don’t know what else I was at but it haunts me.

Hmmm, I was sort of familiar with them from John Peel, No Disco etc but I didn't properly get into them until a few months later when I was repeating the Leaving and became obsessed with that album for most of the year.

There was a strange Jandek looking dude [Jandek with short hair, not that I had a brown clue who Jandek was at the time but this works as a reference] down the front, early to mid twenties seemingly tripping balls looking more at the audience than the band, and maybe some sarky remarks from Josh T. Pearson. I remember my friend coming up on the bus and claiming he had just eaten a lump of hash.

White Stripes played the same day. No one was there, and rightly so. They blew up soon after, and it always remains a mystery to me.

Left early that year. Think our money was lost/stolen out of our tents/pockets. Karmic maybe because I had blagged one of those two day passes the night before. Car back to Mullingar at 7pm, miserable.
I went to Sonic Youth, they were awesome
I remember Sonic Youth in a tent, and joints being passed round down the back. Jim O'Rourke on bass. It was much noisier and off-the-hook than what I remember of them at EP years later, but then it was in a packed tent, and the atmosphere was ripe for it.

Rocket from the Crypt played the closer one year, and I remember skipping Mogwai to see them. No regrets. All hail Speedo!

I think I did the same thing at Leeds festival the same year. Leeds is a load of crock. Drinking cheap cans is my only good memory - that and RTFC.

Mind you, I can't remember if Speedo actually said, "if you jump on my stage, I will kick you in the face" or that was just something I read in a live review of RFTC from Kerrang! magazine back in the 90s.

I didn’t go to the White Stripes but did go to Sonic Youth (though I think SY were the year after?). I didn’t particularly like them so went to something else instead. I remember seeing Dirty Three and Tindersticks - I didn’t know either beforehand and was blown away by both.

I remember Sonic Youth in a tent, and joints being passed round down the back. Jim O'Rourke on bass. It was much noisier and off-the-hook than what I remember of them at EP years later, but then it was in a packed tent, and the atmosphere was ripe for it.
Yeah, they were great at the time. It was around the time of the Murray Street album when it sounded like they were enjoying playing together and making fun music. The next time I saw them was in Vicar Street. It was good but they were kind of going through the motions at that stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back