Ripping CDs (1 Viewer)

Mormon Nailer

Supporter
Website
skin-of-our-teeth.blogspot.com
I was ripping a pile of CD's last night. I was using the laptop.

I'v had this problem intermittently where there is a huge amount of vibration in the drive when I am ripping CD's and the process is very slow.

Of the ones I was doing last night (all brand new never played) this happened with most of them.

Anyone encounter this?

Is this a problem with the disk manufacture - like the hole being off centre a bit - or is my drive fucked?

I was ripping a pile of CD's last night. I was using the laptop.

I'v had this problem intermittently where there is a huge amount of vibration in the drive when I am ripping CD's and the process is very slow.

Of the ones I was doing last night (all brand new never played) this happened with most of them.

Anyone encounter this?

Is this a problem with the disk manufacture - like the hole being off centre a bit - or is my drive fucked?
Your drive is dying on its arse, trust me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OS54TA/?tag=thumpedcom04-21

i get it sometimes too but ive stopped worrying about it (desktop pc not a lap top)

also when the cd starts playing it makes a lot of noise but settles down after a minute or two

Sometime the inner rim of the CD looks fucked and I suppose that a problem. Other times of you plac the disk in the tray and spin it with your finger you can see the outer edge wwobbling as if the hole is off centre on the cd.

Even if it's the dist and not a probelm with the disk all that vibration cantbe good for the drive.

What do people use or recommend for ripping CD's ? Someone was telling me that windows media audio is a really poor software for this job and is see "winamp" recommended on another thread here on thumped.
I have the VLC media player and also a brand thing that came with the computer which I think is mostly designed for watching DVD's but any recommendations or suggestions on what to use for playing/ripping CD's

So I have installed itunes and the exact audio copy and I have ripped the same CD twice with them both but I have got two completely different file sizes itunes 131MB and eac 681MB. I will put them both on my walkman to test the difference but I suspect eac might be a better quality copy. I might use the itunes however because unless I buy a more expensive walkman that has more storage space I wont be able to fit a very large selection of files.

The 681 MB sounds like it's ripped to lossless whereas the itunes one is a lower bitrate. You can adjust both programmes to having the same bitrate which is probably a fairer test. In fairness, if you're listening on your walkman, it probably doesn't make sense to go for lossless as you're not exactly listening in ideal conditions to begin with.

Right it seems I can get a bigger file with itunes whether that means better quality I am not sure but there seems to be allot more variation in possible file sizes with itunes, thanks for the suggestions

If you can do variable bitrate (if you want mp3s), the files are bigger and better quality but not ridiculous in size (it uses higher bitrates for complicated sections and lower bitrates in less complicated sections of tracks so the file size is kept low while the sound quality is high).

I think I might just go with the big size file and maybe buy something with more storage space later. I wont by able to store allot of stuff but then I can focus on a smaller number of albums that I can always swap or change. Then again as you a really big file is maybe unnecessary for headphones

unless you're listening on really, really decent headphones you don't even need to rip at 320kpbs. I do, but I tend to listen to mp3s over the stereo.

If they're just for headphone and walkman use, go for 256kpbs max. you absolutely do not need lossless files (At all really) for walkman use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back