RIP Jim Daniels (1 Viewer)

this is such desperately sad news and it's almost surreal to see a thread on thumped telling of the passing of one of us.

I did have the pleasure to have met Jim on one occasion. It was at one of the first Popical Island all-dayers and Ciara (@jonah) introduced me to him. We only spoke for about 20 minutes but you could tell a lot about the guy straight away. He really was an open book. Instantly likeable, always looking for something positive to take or say about any bad situation. Very pleasant demeanour - he just had the air of someone you wanted to know and talk to.

And that's how he came across on here. He was unique in that he never got involved in any of the nonsense that happens from time to time. All of his contributions were constructive, and all were worth reading.

Personally I always felt I had a lot in common with him, in terms of books and music. If he said something was worth spending time with, I'd always take note.

And I know he was fond of this place. He always seemed to be online later in the evenings, whereas a lot of us tended to be on moreso during the day. He was very generous and open in sharing details of his illness, right from the time he started feeling unwell. I feared the worst when he went quiet in recent times.

RIP @Jim Daniels

Yeah I usually liked or found interesting if he posted some music here. It is a short time since his diagnosis but then he had not only one but two types of cancer and I think two of the harder types you can get as well.

RIP Jim

This is awful news. So sorry to read this. As with many, Thumped was my only interaction with him, but he seemed like a sound head with great taste in books and music. RIP @Jim Daniels, and condolences to his family and friends.

He was unique in that he never got involved in any of the nonsense that happens from time to time. All of his contributions were constructive, and all were worth reading.

Personally I always felt I had a lot in common with him, in terms of books and music. If he said something was worth spending time with, I'd always take note.
Agreed. He was so lovely and I would run into him often on my way home from work and would always stop to chat. Most of what I have read in the last 10 years is because he recommended it. We had a lot of similar tastes in all types of art and I'll miss him and all his new discoveries that he'd pass on to me. He was a treasure. <3

Well this is really sad. I only knew him a little bit; I'd run into him in Tower or at a gig and we'd have a chat and he'd put up with me ranting and raving about whatever had my goat that week.

He was great to talk to about books; he would listen to recommendations and give thoughtful criticism and was genuinely interested in why you'd like a book. There was actually loads of books I still wanted to talk to him about.

Well now, RIP to one of the great ones then. We'll miss you Jim.

Heartbreaking news. Very sorry for his family and all you who knew him in person. Not much I can add, I only knew him through here, he was a absolute gentleman. Was thinking about him earlier this week.

Such a lovely man, I was so sad to read about this on Facebook. I didn't know him very well, but had a few lovely chats with him at gigs over the years and often ran into him in Hodges Figgis while we were both being book nerds. Just a lovely, kind and gentle person to encounter, with - as Bryan mentioned - nothing but nice things to say.
We were friends on Facebook and I loved following his painting, and his book reviews. Its not often to meet such a pleasant and positive person. From all the lovely tributes to him here and on FB I know he'll be sorely missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back