Riot in O'Connell st. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MrT
  • Start date
  • Replies 410
  • Views 41K
  • Watchers 17
spiritualtramp said:
Why the fuck not? They weren't the ones wrecking the place and attacking people.

The exact same argument was used against Martin Luther Kings marches.

jesus christ, are you implying the orange order have something in common with martin luther king?

yeah they have a right to march and yeah the violent protests are fucking outrageous,
but as you've already pointed out these are political actions,
and the politics involved include a hell of a lot of bullshit from the loyal orange order;
whose acolytes promote and instigate serious rioting against police and catholic communities to an extent far worse than todays, in a systematic, deliberate and continous basis EVERY FUCKING YEAR in this city,

so please stop being so sanctimoniously black and white about the issue, as the orange order does not represent or even advocate democracy, except on its own specified and blinkered terms.

saying that i am in broad agreement that they should have been able to have their march in principle, i just think it was a really bad idea and this reaction is hardly surprising, though i guess the garda didn't see it that way

RTEs TV and radio coverage or lack of which is laughable.

newstalks coverage has been excellent. some compelling interviews from the streets on there a few mins ago.

spiritualtramp said:
Why the fuck not? They weren't the ones wrecking the place and attacking people.

The exact same argument was used against Martin Luther Kings marches.

I'm just trying to work it out in my head. I think the idiots that rioted are just bored, frustrated, and ignorant and you're probably right these guys would have looked for any reason to wreck the place. These guys might think they are making a political statement but do they even understand the politics of it all. Maybe they just want something to believe in...

RTE online are updating the news coverage every few minutes.

After my dealings with the Gardai today I have nothing but praise for them. One of them even helped beat my door back into place so that I can drive it again. They are only people after all, and it's a pretty tough job. I don't know any personally but I reckon it's too easy to start slagging off the Guards. And a little juvenile (except when they stop you from cycling in Temple Bar and give you a 'warning')

Plus the yobs rioting just want to riot, they don't listen to reason, they don't care who elses property, or person they destroy. How do you deal with that?!

seanc said:
btw. Thanks spiritualtramp. As per your derepping, I will dually "get fucked" :)

I'm right though

You're very welcome. You derepped me first - live by the sword, die by the sword etc.

You deprepped me for saying it wasn't political - how on earth is something like this not political?

hmmm
while the orange order choosing to march in dublin was obviously a political move, i think the majority of the response today had very little to do with politics.

i live on westland row, and was walking up to meet with pantone at 3pm. all the shops were boarded off and trinity was padlocked town. i turned onto nassau st and was greeted with two cars burning themselves out, one smashed to smithereens and an ambulance for john of gods or something totally busted up.
how is smashing up a private ambulance a political move? how is smashing in the windows of that metro supermarket on whatever that street between grafton st and dame st a political move?

maybe a couple of hundred people up at parnell sq were genuinely protesting, but 95% of this was scumbags looking to act like shitheads

what a crap riot. why were they not pelting oranges at them?

seriously though. that's not a riot.

dudley said:
hmmm
while the orange order choosing to march in dublin was obviously a political move, i think the majority of the response today had very little to do with politics.

i how is smashing up a private ambulance a political move? how is smashing in the windows of that metro supermarket on whatever that street between grafton st and dame st a political move?

maybe a couple of hundred people up at parnell sq were genuinely protesting, but 95% of this was scumbags looking to act like shitheads

Here, here Dudley.

I totally agree - what have a loads of yobs with covered faces and bricks and pipes got to do with politics - if someone wants to make a statement there are ways to say it without smashing up some guys shop, setting fire to random cars and injuring people. Blagards was probably a good description.

spiritualtramp said:
You're very welcome. You derepped me first - live by the sword, die by the sword etc.

You deprepped me for saying it wasn't political - how on earth is something like this not political?

I don't like being told to get fucked. I don't have time for internet thuggery. cop on.

Anyway........
What Dudley said is pretty much exactly what I think:

hmmm

i how is smashing up a private ambulance a political move? how is smashing in the windows of that metro supermarket on whatever that street between grafton st and dame st a political move?

seanc said:
I don't like being told to get fucked. I don't have time for internet thuggery.

And I don't like being derepped for pointing out that politics has something to do with this.

Ok, I'm sorry for telling you to get fucked.

I'm pretty irked at the moment.

Word on the street is that there is a police officer very seriously injured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back