Rings of Power (1 Viewer)

Both loving it and am offended by the Irish accents.

I mean, whatever, I imagine it's as annoying when you're Scottish and dwarves are always speaking in a bastardized version of your accent, but at least consider that it's a bit fucked and interesting that they just recreate the British class system of Punch Magazine because they can't be bothered not to. No need to go around cancelling people over it but no need to be an eye rolling philistine either. I hope at least one of them starts quoting Joyce.

Anyway, yeah, gimme more. Let's get dem rings precious, Sauron seems like a good guy, he's totally over his early foolish worship of Morgoth. Will Numenor be making an appearance? That's second age stuff, yes?

Last edited:
I thought some of them were doing Somerset accents. Was Lenny Henry not doing Somerset?

The accents sort of jump all over the country within a single sentence, which is presumably because they're constructed accents so don't have to map onto the real world.

West Country for everyone would make sense for proto hobbits but if you're not hearing a whole pile of Irish accents in there I don't know what to tell you.

It’s funny because Tolkien seemed to hate the Irish language and Irish mythology. Christopher Tolkien makes some very pointed, pearl clutching comments throughout his various edited editions about “oh this word may look like it’s based on a Celtic language but don’t worry it’s actually this obscure Nordic word.” Phew!

Still enjoying this. Missed the dwarves in this episode though. They’re more interesting than the Harfoots. The warg looked a bit stupid. Galadriel is smoking hot

i've seen things you hobbits wouldn't believe
beacons on fire,
in the mountains of gondor
i watched Galadriel, glitter in the dark near the Mordor Gates

all those moments,
will be lost, in time
like, rings.... in ..... volcanoes

time... to fly

...... away on a giant eagle

The inevitable “angry nerd” rant:

Watched the first episode and not sure what to make of it. It looks great but it didn’t feel like Middle-Earth. The Elves were all so hot-headed and short-sighted which didn’t read true to me. These are people who have lived for millennia but act like they have no consideration of time beyond the immediate.

Galadriel is being played well as the character they have made for the show but it doesn’t fit with the Galadriel of Tolkien. I don’t know what to think about Elrond - it’s like someone cloned Colin Firth and turned the Firthness up to 11.

And the Harfoots (Harfeet?). Ewoks with Oirish accents. Aside from them not featuring to any great degree in Tolkien’s history (only Sméagol and his brother act in any consequence) and for good reason, Sauron’s ignorance of The Shire and Hobbits is what leads to his downfall. The Rangers kept the outside world away for centuries to protect this long-term plan. To bring Halflings into the limelight in the second age seems to undo Tolkien’s while fundamental idea.

Finally (for now), the dialogue. My wife described it as English google translated into generic Fantasy. It doesn’t have any of the magic of Tolkien’s dialogue. The bar has been set quite high now for fantasy, the dialogue in Game of Thrones was great (when George RR Martin writes it anyway) and The Witcher was pretty good too. This feels a bit “Normal statement with a funny name at the end” - compare that to the first chapter alone of The Hobbit with all its beautiful turns of phrase.

I’m going to keep watching but not sure how it’s going to go. I feel the showrunners have delved too greedily and too deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back