Richard Youngs (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
There should probably be a dedicated thread. Amplifying Host - the new one on Jagjaguwar - is great, I got it at the weekend. His best one in years I'd say (even though I havent heard all of them). Its really lush, dreamy, acoustic guitar stuff with woozy electric lead, drawn out vocals and drums by yer man Damon from Damon and Naomi and Galaxie 500. I love it when one of your favorite musicians brings out a fantastic new album.

Richard-Youngs-500x500.jpg

I Dream Of Mezzanine / Cloudplanes arrived in the post today. Nice thick vinyl and a lavish sleeve, not a great listen though. Abstract, pitch-shifted vocals, drum machines, droning etc. Atlas Of Hearts from earlier this year was excellent. Two good lps out of three is pretty good for him.

richard_younds_cloudplanes.jpg

Two more LPs this month.

Richard Youngs

'Amaranthine'

Richard Youngs - Amaranthine.jpg

Limited edition of 500 LPs
MIE are delighted to be releasing the excellent Amaranthine on vinyl on the 16th January 2012. Richard is one of our favourite artists on the UK experimental scene and to release this new, singular work by the man himself is very exciting for us.
Bringing rhythm to the fore, Amaranthine is built around layered percussion and Youngs' ever present vocals. The asymetrically patterned underlay is scored for drums, household objects and handheld percussion; at points scything fuzz guitar cuts through the sense of ritual with abandon and deep synths bubble up out of nowhere before dissipating into solo shakuhachi.
Amaranthine is another typically atypical Youngsian release in which he ventures deep into uncharted musical space, all the while retaining his essential Youngs-ness.
Out on the 16th January 2012

RY_coretothebrave_web-350x350.jpg

RICHARD YOUNGS
CORE TO THE BRAVE

• RS87
  • LP
  • Edition of 500
  • 1. Sweet Field Of Life
  • 2. The Sea Of Providence
  • 3. We Are The Messengers
  • 4. Forever Hills Of Everyday
  • 5. Sun Bounty
  • 6. Open Ray
  • 7. The Healing Of Everyone
With scores of releases both solo & in collaboration that stretch back for more than 20 years, Richard Youngs perhaps needs the least amount of introduction of any of the artists Root Strata has worked with. We're extremely excited to help Richard add another singular entry into his discography. 'Core To The Brave' hits with a shock and never lets up. Composed of what appears to be blown out bass & spastic drum rhythms, these tracks cascade into shimmering loops of distortion, their weight reaching a critical mass that often feels likes it's on the verge of ecstatic collapse. Everything is elevated further in & up by that one and only voice, floating over top like a lush wind come down from the mountains.

I Dream Of Mezzanine / Cloudplanes arrived in the post today. Nice thick vinyl and a lavish sleeve, not a great listen though. Abstract, pitch-shifted vocals, drum machines, droning etc. Atlas Of Hearts from earlier this year was excellent. Two good lps out of three is pretty good for him.

richard_younds_cloudplanes.jpg

Just realised this one is meant to be played at 45rpm:eek:
Its like getting another new record :)

Nice tune with the young lad
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Richard Youngs and Damon Krukowski on tour in Italy
Music by Richard and Sorley Youngs
Video by Naomi Yang

A song by Richard Youngs with lyrics (and harmonica solo) by his 5-year-old son Sorley.

.|..|

I saw him in january. I was already a pretty big fan by then but he was way better than i ever thought he might be. very excited about this cork gig.

I quite liked two of the ones from 2009

Beyond the Valley of the Ultrahits and

Under Stella Stream which seems to convey that feeling of vulnerability of being out in the cold on early Winter mornings.

Didn't give Amplifying Host too much time. Just wasn't feeling it.

Should check out more of this lad's stuff. I've only really skimmed the pudding skin.

That Sapphie is a beaut also. Relaxing bedtime listening.

Yeah, I get the sense from this that he's pretty intense live.

His forthcoming album on Ba Da Bing is streaming on soundcloud

apparently there is a double coming soon on Mie (and he's just had another one out called 'Barbed Wire Explosion in the Kingdom of Atlantis' which is inspired by something called "d-beat" - sounds like punk to me except scrappier and with drum machines)

This months new Richard Young's albums

Summer Through My Mind - cd/lp (as embedded in last post)
No Retreat In Comfort - tour cdr
Regions Of The Old School - 2lp
Calmont Breakdown - cd

Gonna have to spread these purchases out over the winter...

ah here

Just out is another album. It’s called ‘South Voyager’. An exquisite package, you can get it at the No Fans web store. Now.

£10.00
12" 33rpm vinyl

A1. Ocean Riff
B1. Your Thunderous Smile
B2. I Sing the Dawn

Hand numbered limited edition of 257, this is the first release on the exciting new Atonal Industries label operating out of Spain. Lovingly produced, this 180g. vinyl release has a handmade silk screened cover plus a silver ink hand-stamped label and insert. Album length suite of extended chants featuring electronics, shakuhachi and vocal.

Atonal Industries A001

Just ordered two new RY albums

Varispeed Etudes
Varispeed Etudes was conceived by revered, quixotic, Glasgow-based avant-garde populist Richard Youngs very much as an analogue ‘record of two halves’ in the spirit of David Bowie’s Low and Heaven 17’s Penthouse and Pavement. Side A showcases his bent for electronic experimentation and those inimitable, hauntingly reedy, standard English vocal tones that have placed him squarely alongside a peer group of British vocalising weirdos that includes Robert Wyatt, Ivor Cutler and Charles Hayward. Side B strips away the vocals and replaces the electronics with a series of shorter, dissonant, slow-moving, acoustic clatterbang soundscapes. The whole thing is ‘held together by the joy of varispeed pitch control – major delight of reel-to-reel recording’ and it’s as rich, conceptually oblique, throwaway but important as anything in Youngs’s catalogue. A strange, drop-out beauty that flicks ash on the brown bedsit carpet and never pays the gas bill. Spend your dole on it today.
Parallel Winter
This seems to be the kind of thing you could listen to all day without getting bored

Listen to The Flexibles’ debut album - The Wire

The Flexibles are the trio of Richard Youngs and his son Sorley plus Scottish underground music veteran Andrew Paine. Their debut album Pink Everything is part concept work about space travel, with tracks such as “Space Base” and “War With Humanoid”, and part rock power trio workout. The multi-talented Sorley features as a songwriter and guitarist on the record; he can also be seen playing football in Richard Youngs’s recent music video “Back From A World Changing”.

flexibles-1.jpg

Today's new RY album

released October 26, 2016

Modern pop music is about beats and hooks. If 'Beyond the Valley of the Ultrahits' was my first step on a 1000 mile journey 'Journey to the Centre of a New Dimension' is some way further along. Still occupying a very human realm, this collection of imaginary b-sides to the original ten ultrahits, has a now entirely synthetic backing. The beats are sparser, the hooks less subtle. Next stop: complete aural MSG maximised to the ultramax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back