rice cookers (1 Viewer)

I've had it with rinsing rice.
Simply put the rice (brown or white) straight into a bowl of already boiling water. Let it rock away on a low heat until done. Stir it once during the cook.
Get your amounts down by finding a spoon that hold the right amount per person and use it ALL THE TIME.
Perfect non sticky rice. I do this practically every day. Rarely have to chuck away cooked rice.

No scales in the folks house so had to guesstimate the amount to cook tonight.OBVIOUSLY made WAYYYY too much

I did however rinse thoroughly beforehand and it was Chinese restaurant grade.Which was ideal as it was Chinese beef curry I made

I'm tempted to buy a pressure cooker and up my stock-making game

Heston Blumenthal's brown chicken stock recipe : SBS Food
buying wings just to put in stock seems to run counter to the principle of stock making, not to mention sautéing your onions for 45 minutes.

i made stock today after a roast chicken lunch using the chicken carcass, a large onion, two chopped carrots, carrot peelings & kale stalks (from the lunch), two garlic cloves, two bay leaves, 15ish peppercorns, crushed dried chilli, thyme and salt. covered with 2.5 litres of cold water. brought to the boil, simmered for 3 hours, reboiled and cooled. almost no effort, all result.

buying wings just to put in stock seems to run counter to the principle of stock making, not to mention sautéing your onions for 45 minutes.

i made stock today after a roast chicken lunch using the chicken carcass, a large onion, two chopped carrots, carrot peelings & kale stalks (from the lunch), two garlic cloves, two bay leaves, 15ish peppercorns, crushed dried chilli, thyme and salt. covered with 2.5 litres of cold water. brought to the boil, simmered for 3 hours, reboiled and cooled. almost no effort, all result.

I would be similar to you.
Most serious cooks I know use fresh fowl though, with full meat and skin everything on.
I find raw bones with a flash roast on them to make fantastic stock too.
I make so much that I'm just curious about another way of doing it. Sauteeing onions seems like a colossal pain in the hole, no mistake.
Also I know someone that did it this way and swears by it. I want to try it more than I think it's a better way.

I would be similar to you.
Most serious cooks I know use fresh fowl though, with full meat and skin everything on.
I find raw bones with a flash roast on them to make fantastic stock too.
I make so much that I'm just curious about another way of doing it. Sauteeing onions seems like a colossal pain in the hole, no mistake.
Also I know someone that did it this way and swears by it. I want to try it more than I think it's a better way.
enough to buy a pressure cooker? i was toying with getting one but not sure i can justify it. my parents still have the book that came with the one they got as a wedding present in '72. i should post some of the pics to the sexism thread one of these days.

with the price of meat, i wouldn't have the luxury of buying a bird just for the pot, plus the frugal aspect of stock appeals to me.

enough to buy a pressure cooker? i was toying with getting one but not sure i can justify it. my parents still have the book that came with the one they got as a wedding present in '72. i should post some of the pics to the sexism thread one of these days.

with the price of meat, i wouldn't have the luxury of buying a bird just for the pot, plus the frugal aspect of stock appeals to me.

I think I am lucky that chicken and meat is stupid cheap here.
I don't think anyone throws the meat from a raw meat stock away though. They strip it off and use it for sandwiches and stir fry though.

Probably won't buy it. One more thing to fucking clean.

296n5zq.jpg

is the maillard reaction not vital to good stock though?

Sorry, yes. You're of course right. I should have said meat on bone rather than raw meat.
I buy meaty pork bones and brown them before using them for stock. And Heston says to brown those wings well and good before his version.
Even if I'm using leftover carcass bones from a roasted chicken or turkey, I wall fry them up a little to put a brown on them before adding water and the rest.

Don't bother washing before hand. When its cooked rinse it well with cold water in a sieve. This'll stop it cooking until all your other food is ready. Boil the kettle then when your other grubs ready pour the boiling water over the rice in the sieve before dishing it up. No starch and no timing stress!

Depends on what kind of food you're making and what type of rice I suppose. For Indian or Mexican food its good this way anyway. Maybe for chinese or japanese food you'd want it a bit more sticky but you can wash it as much or as little as you like I guess!

Rice cookers are on sale in Lidl next week.
Maybe we just get the UK's leftovers.

is the maillard reaction not vital to good stock though?

Not necessarily, if you're making a stock from other bones you'd brown them cause you're most likely making a sauce from it. In that case you'd get the deeper flavour and colour.

With Chicken stock you can make a white or brown stock. White stocks are generally used for soups and other things like risotto where you don't want to impart colour and reduce the chicken intensity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back