rice cookers (1 Viewer)

nooleen

bad ape
Solutions
do any of you use a rice cooker? allegedly they're what takeaways use to get that nice fluffy rice

they're coming up in lidl for a tenner next week

If you eat a lot of rice it's worth it but the only difference between a rice cooker and any old pot is that a rice cooker turns itself off when the rice is cooked

Restaurants and take-aways use them cause you can keep the cooked rice warm in them for hours.

As for the fluffyness, they might clean the rice before they cook it to remove starch which means the rice doesn't all gloop together

I got one last year as a valentines day gift and it was the best, most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me. Rice is ALWAYS on point now. I cook a lot of brown rice too, and it actually makes it not taste like sawdust and gravel.

do you soak it before cooking?

yes, I rince before and after usually. sometimes i'll even steam it for a couple of mins before throwing it in. main thing that appeals to me about the rice cooker, really, is that I'm always off in measurements and time when I cook on the hob, so this sort of just does everything right for you.

yes, I rince before and after usually. sometimes i'll even steam it for a couple of mins before throwing it in. main thing that appeals to me about the rice cooker, really, is that I'm always off in measurements and time when I cook on the hob, so this sort of just does everything right for you.

For the hob, I soak my rice (basmati) for 30 minutes and drain it. Then add double the volume of the rice (I don't weigh it, 250 ml of rice + 500 ml water is four portions) and bring to the boil. As soon as it reaches the boil, lower the heat as much as possible and put the lid on the pot*. After 8 min take off the heat and give it a couple of minutes before serving (breaking it up wih a fork). This method works no matter what quantity of rice you do but maybe only leave it on a low heat for 6 min if you have a small portion of rice.

*on an electric oven I'd move it to a different ring as they take too long to cool down. If you left it on the one you brought it to a boil on, it will overcook. I'd also start saving up for a gas hob as electric hobs are shit.

For the hob, I soak my rice (basmati) for 30 minutes and drain it. Then add double the volume of the rice (I don't weigh it, 250 ml of rice + 500 ml water is four portions) and bring to the boil. As soon as it reaches the boil, lower the heat as much as possible and put the lid on the pot*. After 8 min take off the heat and give it a couple of minutes before serving (breaking it up wih a fork). This method works no matter what quantity of rice you do but maybe only leave it on a low heat for 6 min if you have a small portion of rice.

*on an electric oven I'd move it to a different ring as they take too long to cool down. If you left it on the one you brought it to a boil on, it will overcook. I'd also start saving up for a gas hob as electric hobs are shit.
My failsafe rice recipe works every time. I don't rinse it beforehand.
I use a standard tea/coffee mug for measurements.
Into a saucepan I put:
1 mug of rice
1 and a half mugs of water
put lid on pot and bring to boil
then reduce heat to a simmer, leaving lid on at slight angle
let it simmer until all liquid has been absorbed by the rice
then turn heat off and place lid back on pot firmly
leave for about 10-15 mins and you will have perfectly cooked rice every time.

I've no idea how to make it fluffy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back