Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (1 Viewer)

edit: it turns out nobody was actually arsed looking this shit up ... Young Driver's Car Insurance | AIG BoxClever spolier: it doesn't work like anybody here thought

I went through it with a broker, and my old man went through it with another broker. The total miles is part of what it does, but, depending on the box, it does more than that.

I'd have no problem with the total miles being less than whatever, seeing as I don't drive unless I am forced to. It was the speed thing that's the issue.

There is someone on Thumped who is under 27 ????!??

No, it was me. Seeing as I only have about 20 years experience driving in NY/NJ/DC and not Ireland, I am considered to be, legally speaking, a child. I also have to have a grown up with me when I buy beer, or watch scary films.

I went through it with a broker, and my old man went through it with another broker. The total miles is part of what it does, but, depending on the box, it does more than that.
Well yeah that's what it says on the page. It says if you're being a good boy you get more miles added on. You're not going to lose your cover while driving because you didn't notice a mud-covered sign on a boreen. Which is was you were afraid of, right?

Well yeah that's what it says on the page. It says if you're being a good boy you get more miles added on. You're not going to lose your cover while driving because you didn't notice a mud-covered sign on a boreen. Which is was you were afraid of, right?

Often if I take a lot of psychedelics when I'm really really drunk I have a hard time making out the numbers on the speedo, so I just hammer it, because logically the quicker I get to where I need to be the quicker I'll be off the roads, and the safer we're all going to be.

The job thing is a bit strange, thus the no mortgage. I'd be doing the same job, but since I'd be working in a different country I'd be moved to a different contract. The way it works is rather than me getting paid to do the work, I'd set up a company and that company would be paid to do the work. So I'd be doing the same job, for the same people, but the contract would have changed. The crowd that employ me paid to get me moved to DC, but I'm the one that wants to leave the US so they're not going to pay for that naturally.
FWIW I work as a contractor here in Cork, for a NY based startup.

The original idea was that they would hire me, but we quickly discovered that this was not possible because they have absolutely no presence here. Similar scenario for you I expect. So I became a contractor.

Instead of setting up my own company, I signed up with a Dublin based umbrella contractor company. I send them timesheets and expense documentation, and they do all my invoicing, taxes, expenses and payroll. They also do setup for new clients — I sometimes take on one-off or sporadic clients on the side because I'm a masochist.

All in all I have to say the cost of the service seems very reasonable to me. Since it has worked really well for me, I figured it'd be worth mentioning.

Another contractor friend set up his own company, and I believe there are some advantages to doing that. One that comes to mind is the ability to shove wads of cash into a pension. AFAIK there are usually some setup costs to setting up (and dissolving) your own company but they are probably reasonable — I think an accountant quoted me €2k a few years ago.

Hope this helps! Oh, and welcome back.

awesome, when you back?
aww :)

I'll be flying into Dublin on the... well, arriving on the 11th. I'll then quarantine in my Dad's place with the kids out in the Northside for 5 days. (He's going to be off with his other half during then.)

Honestly the anxiety was starting to really overwhelm me over the last little while, and I wasn't expecting this sense of relief that "it's over". I've just been going through trying to tick boxes, and not actually feeling any different up until that point.

aww :)

I'll be flying into Dublin on the... well, arriving on the 11th. I'll then quarantine in my Dad's place with the kids out in the Northside for 5 days. (He's going to be off with his other half during then.)

Honestly the anxiety was starting to really overwhelm me over the last little while, and I wasn't expecting this sense of relief that "it's over". I've just been going through trying to tick boxes, and not actually feeling any different up until that point.
deadly. And you can probably cut the quarantine short if you want to take another test this side (I'm going for mine on thursday). Though, maybe there's no rush if you've somewhere that you're in no rush to leave.

And I get you about the anxiety. When I flew back to Ireland, that was the 7th flight I'd booked, and I'd booked another for this friday. I was planking it about borders being closed or flights being cancelled. Turns out I wasted my money, but it did give me a little bit of reassurance at the time.

And you can probably cut the quarantine short if you want to take another test this side (I'm going for mine on thursday).
last I heard was... PCR test just before depart. Quick test on arrival in Dublin Airport, 5 days in chokey, then one more test and oot.

Well, Ireland will still be locked down to fuck, but I can get a car and get the kids off to their new gaff.

I'll just be sublimely happy, from the moment I arrive in Ireland, onwards. And I'll have no need to take the piss, because there'll be nothing to push against.

Without the angst and stress I'll have no fuel for my shitty takes.

I'll effectively be a permanently blissed out heroin addict, only without the heroin.

I'll just be sublimely happy, from the moment I arrive in Ireland, onwards. And I'll have no need to take the piss, because there'll be nothing to push against.

Without the angst and stress I'll have no fuel for my shitty takes.

I'll effectively be a permanently blissed out heroin addict, only without the heroin.
that'll last for about 5 minutes I'd say

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back