Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (2 Viewers)

It's almost as if most of the people that left in the first place might not be likely to vote FFG for some reason

it's kind of weird though. When I was there a couple of years ago there was all kinds of talk about people returning home, and people seemed keen on the whole idea.

They didn't mention the part where they'd install a tracking device to your car, refuse you a mortgage, not accept your driving license etc.

Still better than living in the US though.

But yeah also they had that whole 'The Gathering' fucking nonsense 2 or 3 years ago and it was actually just a massive tourism scam to make the lads even more money so they could build all their new hotels in Dublin
can people still pay money to get their cert of Irish heritage of whatever the fuck that was?

it's kind of weird though. When I was there a couple of years ago there was all kinds of talk about people returning home, and people seemed keen on the whole idea.

They didn't mention the part where they'd install a tracking device to your car, refuse you a mortgage, not accept your driving license etc.

Still better than living in the US though.
And you lost all your belongings in a shipping container somewhere. Welcome home!

OK.

I've been talking to people about that tracker thing, and it's bad. You don't want it. If you're doing 31 in a 30 that's a strike, some small number (eg 3) strikes and you're snookered.

You could lose your coverage on a single trip down some missmarked / unclearly marked road, or you're not staring at the speedo every moment of every drive.

Buuut! The good news is that Liberty will recognize a US license and no claims. I have managed to dig up and get a copy of my records dating back to ~2006, so I think this should at least get me some coverage.

I'll have a year to get an Irish license, then I'll be in a more normal situation.

Good news anyway. Class.

Look I don't want to be too outlandish but driving legally is probably possible.

I get what you're saying, but driving cars is hard enough without me fixating on whatever speed limit is posted and driving under that speed, and not driving at the same speed as everyone else.

It's not the US, but In the US if you drove like this you'd end up having and causing crashes.

For example on the roads I was ferrying people in and out of Baltimore over the last while, unless you break the speed limit by a lot (I think the limit is 60, I had to sit at around 80 to stop people almost driving into the back of me and keep up with traffic), and unless you're sitting uncomfortably close on the car in front, someone will undertake you and jam themselves into the gap you've left.

Every now and again someone is doing ~60, and it causes everyone else to scream up behind them, realise they're almost stopped, jam on or swerve into the next lane, and a wave of swerving breaking panic builds up behind them. Ultimately this is going to get you into an accident. You just have to ignore the speed limits, and drive similarly the rest of the traffic.

I drive cars like a granny, I'm really only ever dragging kids about, I've never crashed a car despite spending the last 20 odd years driving in NYC/NJ/DC/MVA area, and in Boston for a short while. I'm not a good driver, but I'm not dangerous, and I'd say I've broken the speed limit on virtually every drive I've done.

Like, when I was in Dublin I think the speed limit along the Stillorgan dual carriage way was 30pmh in places. When I was there EVERYONE did around 40+ along that. Puttering along at 30mph would get you in trouble.

Shrug. Anyway. I did think about trying to deal with the tracker, but a lot of people (including a car insurance broker who just point blank said nope) told me you're going to end up in trouble, then you'd be in a worse situation than you started.

Look I don't want to be too outlandish but driving legally is probably possible.
Yeah but he's dead right isn't he. If you're going from a 40 zone to a 30 zone, where is the exact transition point on the tracker based? So what if you're at 31 just as you hit the 30 zone, then a half second later you're at 29, but hey the tracker doesn't care. I mean hey I don't know how they work it, but seems to me like if you have a tracker then you may as well just drive under 30 everywhere, because good luck never getting hit by a speed zone change or something.

Lads, I v much doubt the tracker works as you describe, and you lose cover as soon as you drive over 50kph 3 times.

I expect they're running a machine-learning based model of driver behaviour - they'll be measuring a load of shit, boiling it all down to an estimated risk of a claim, and once you go over that they raise your premium

edit: it turns out nobody was actually arsed looking this shit up ... Young Driver's Car Insurance | AIG BoxClever spolier: it doesn't work like anybody here thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back