Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (1 Viewer)

I never liked the US. I thought that if I stayed long enough maybe I would start to get used to it, but it didn't happen.

For me it feels like a very hostile place. The cops here are at war with the public, pretty much. There's this obsession with extracting money out of you from every angle, for example if you get sick you're potentially going to be screwed (depending on how your health insurance company acts), any concept of going to college or anything like that will result in you being massively in debt.

To me it's just a weird, violent, very restricted society.

There's a lot of reasons, some are silly. Over the last year or two I've no longer been able to deal with the heat for example, once it gets over ~30C I start suffering pretty badly.

Like clearly it's a huge pain in the arse to move back, I'm essentially an American at this point, totally out of the loop of what's going on in Ireland. Moving is expensive, and disruptive, it's pretty much the end of my career in the sense I'm not going to get promoted I'd guess. But I think that it's worth it. I fundamentally don't like living in the US, or US society, so I'm willing to do quite a lot to get away from it.
A very good synopsis

I've been trying to sort out car insurance.

Jesus. To summarize: "No".

I've been point blank refused coverage from all vendors, and then I went to a broker and he told me "No, but sorry about that".

I'm a middle aged man, with close to no interest in driving cars / shuttling kids around, and I've been driving cars since roughly 2002. With not even so much as a speeding ticket. But, I've been driving in the US.

Granted I just bought a lethal enough 2.5L Mazda3 which had a clutch and motor that seemed keen on launching people into space, and it was a handful. But I didn't crash the bastard for about a year now.

The Irish insurance companies are just refusing to even consider me. How am I more risky, with ~20 years driving cars with zero incident, than a 19 year old youngfla.

I'm not going to say that Ireland wants ZERO FUCKING PART OF ANY CUNT coming home. But they do give that impression at times.

One guy told me about Quote Devil and XS Direct. Seemingly they might deal with "people like me".

Fucks sake. They look suspicious enough. But seemingly they're my options, English companies by the looks of it?

I have a no claims bonus like. And a license for close to 20 years. Zero incidents. I'll be driving the car as little as possible, in the arseholes of Cork. WTF is the problem here?

When I left Ireland I was insured on any bike for less than 200 Euro. And I was crashing weekly, and driving every day, as fast as physics permitted, like a lunatic. Dublin Motorbike couriers were telling me to relax a little bit. A Gard pulled me over and told me he'd give me a ticket but there was no point seeing as I'd be dead within a few weeks.

I'll be getting in this car, reluctantly, to drive kids to school, at around 40ks/hour, probably listening to some shitty middle of the road music, if that.

How does this make sense.

One guy told me about Quote Devil and XS Direct. Seemingly they might deal with "people like me".

Fucks sake. They look suspicious enough. But seemingly they're my options, English companies by the looks of it?

I have a no claims bonus like. And a license for close to 20 years. Zero incidents. I'll be driving the car as little as possible, in the arseholes of Cork. WTF is the problem here?

When I left Ireland I was insured on any bike for less than 200 Euro. And I was crashing weekly, and driving every day, as fast as physics permitted, like a lunatic. Dublin Motorbike couriers were telling me to relax a little bit. A Gard pulled me over and told me he'd give me a ticket but there was no point seeing as I'd be dead within a few weeks.

I'll be getting in this car, reluctantly, to drive kids to school, at around 40ks/hour, probably listening to some shitty middle of the road music, if that.

How does this make sense.

I think you are entitled to insurance even if you have been refused at first- take a look here: Insurance Ireland - The Voice of Insurance

Isn't it the case that they are obliged to give you cover? They might not want to and to out you off they'll give a stupidly high quote, but the law says you are entitled to cover.

As far as I know.

nothing about car insurance makes sense. I was doing a renewal a few years back and was told my quote would be cheaper if I could put a wife or partner on the policy with me. So I put the missus on. She's fully comp on my car, which makes my policy cheaper, but she's only 3rd party on her own car, with the same company, and her policy is more expensive than mine

FUCKING EXPLAIN THAT TO ME GOD

does your current insurer have any operations in ireland?
always wondered about that; a 'your company insures me and gives me an NCB here, but you don't trust your own company' approach.

A friend moved back from Canada a while ago and was in the same situation. He was able to get a few thousand off his quote but had to agree to having a tracker in the car. Basically it beeps when you go (I think) over 10% more than the speed limit on that specific road. He did it with liberty insurance.

A friend moved back from Canada a while ago and was in the same situation. He was able to get a few thousand off his quote but had to agree to having a tracker in the car. Basically it beeps when you go (I think) over 10% more than the speed limit on that specific road. He did it with liberty insurance.

Yeah, I managed to talk to someone, she said she could get the quote down to around 2,000 Euro if I get a tracker installed in the car.

I'm... yeah, maybe not 100% fucked. Just up for a bit of light gouging.

Ireland is giving the impression it does not want anyone coming back. Interesting.

does your current insurer have any operations in ireland?
always wondered about that; a 'your company insures me and gives me an NCB here, but you don't trust your own company' approach.

Geico, so no, seemingly not.

I'd happily get no car, but I'll be living in the country and towing kids about. There's no alternative.

It's possibly cheaper for me to just rent a car. I don't know.

a tracker? WTF?

That's how a lot of young drivers manage to get affordable insurance. The young lad up the road, jesus he must be nearly 30 now so not that young, when he first had his licence had to have a yoke on his car that logged how many miles he drove and how fast he was going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back