Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (2 Viewers)

I think tea bagging has a different meaning in the sticks.

eg.

"Howaya, do ya do tea bagging?"

translation: Can I have a cup of tea please.

I've done the Moving Back After Yonks thing. My situation's quite different to yours as I don't have kids and left a permanent pensioned job in London to come back to no job in Dublin. Glad I didn't have to be locked down in London (that job wouldn't have had a work-from-home option). It sounds to me like you haven't got much attachment to your current life in the States, so why the feck not? I still miss my old life in London but the fact it wouldn't exist any more if I was still there makes me feel a lot better.

I've done the Moving Back After Yonks thing. My situation's quite different to yours as I don't have kids and left a permanent pensioned job in London to come back to no job in Dublin. Glad I didn't have to be locked down in London (that job wouldn't have had a work-from-home option). It sounds to me like you haven't got much attachment to your current life in the States, so why the feck not? I still miss my old life in London but the fact it wouldn't exist any more if I was still there makes me feel a lot better.
Brits out

another awful Americanism. thankfully I've never been in the USA.

my favo(u)rite Americanism is Tear You A New Asshole.

I'm not sure if it's an Americanism but I like the words grifting, and rube. They have an old timey feel about them.

And it's cool in my addled mind that grift is only one letter away from graft, and they mean almost opposite things. (Grafting in the sense to work hard, not like... grafting tissue.)

I don't qualify for a mortgage at all because even though I have the same job my contract changed (to allow me work in a diff country), and I haven't had a job in Ireland for two years.
Talk to a mortgage broker about this.
If the relationship with your employer is good, ask them to postpone the contract change til you are established in Ireland -- if you are telecommuting now in DC, you'd just be changing internet connection. They can pay to your US bank account.
OR You could also buy the house before you move, find 5 you like and go see them - flights are cheap rn.
Get whatever employer letter the banks require NOW while you are under your current conditions before you change your contract.
Don't wait til you move and have a house you like etc etc. and then ask for a letter.
Make that the basis of your approval application. But don't leave your application for forever either - the letter and application need to be within a reasonable distance from each other.

Don't be defeatist and put barriers in your way by just reading the Central Bank rules and deciding you're not qualified.
There are exemptions from the Central Bank on their rules and a broker can tell you about these.
It's a system and most systems can be gamed, if you have enough tenacity.
Read threads on askaboutmoney.com about this - you are not the first person to move back here and there are plenty of pricks on that forum willing to tell you how much they know about this shit.

There are cheap houses on Blog — Cheap Irish Houses but she also has a blog about moving, which is helpful for things you might not have thought about.
She also has a guide where you can check broadband coverage in any area you are considering.

Moving from something you hate is not always the same guarantee of success as moving to something you love.
Good luck.

For what it's worth, and it's probably not related to this situation, my broker last year stonewalled us moving to the country because although I worked from home, my partner did not and he said there was absolutely no way any bank will ever believe us that she could commute at the weekends.

Eventually I went directly to a bank, explained the situation, and the guy there just looked up the train times to make sure it was plausible and said "yeah, we just add in the cost of the trains every week and do a stress test on top of that."

another awful Americanism. thankfully I've never been in the USA.

my favo(u)rite Americanism is Tear You A New Asshole.

I think it's a brilliant insult, not only is a horrible thing to be literally compared to but in an Irish voice it sounds great, a good hard plosive d. And the way we say it wouldn't include the long broad 'a' sound in bag. The closest we get to a Glaswegian saying "cunt," which is the best swear.

I was closing out my lease to my apartment there the other day, and I realised that Thumped was correct.

I'm not sure what user asked the question "do you live in a mental asylum", but when they did, I went... no. Right? No. I mean, no.

But then, through a series of events in the property office, I realised that I do live in a halfway house. I'd noticed that management seemed to treat us all like cunts. Out and out cunts. They actively hate us. But, I just assumed that was the way it was.

It turns out that my building is used to re-introduce institutionalized people, either mental health patients or criminals back into society.

Now, I'd noticed some strange heads around. But, like, I'm a bit special myself, on a good day, so glass houses and all that.

But yeah, suddenly all these things become clear. I realized that literally everyone is either black, Latino, or filthy filthy immigrant. Or clearly mentally ill. Or all.

But I'm also realizing that's why I never moved. My neighbours were all sound. I've never liked my neighbours anywhere I lived in the US until now. I'm leaving my apartment, with aggressively horrible management, cops rolling around, autistic moaning, and a guy that jumped on me, grabbed me by the throat and beat the fuck out of me until I couldn't see because my eyes stopped working.

And I'm thinking, fuck, I'll miss these lads. The raccoons and the eagles and the neighbours were the best thing about this place.

Although not that racist cunt who battered me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back