Returning to Ireland advice thread (I've made a huge mistake part II) (2 Viewers)

One thing that I had to stop doing pronto was that inhaling "yeah" thing.

I did it once or twice and people thought I unwell, they'd stop and ask if I was ok and stuff. I think that was the first hard nope.

Also "lorry" is 100% out. Never every say lorry. People would just start breaking up, and getting their friends over and telling you to say it again so their friends could see how funny it was.

There's also the lads who hear something's up and instantly break into their own Irish accent, which is roughly speaking Groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons.

The accent thing is strange at this point.

My mind has an american accent, but my mouth has an Irish accent. So when I'm speaking I hear my own accent, which is kind of a mind fuck. I'm not sure how it works.

People know when I'm talking to my Dad or something on the phone, because seemingly I speak differently and they have trouble understanding me. I know I had to consciously change the way I spoke when I got here, I had to slow down and speak more carefully. But I don't consciously change the way I speak when I speak to Irish people, although others have pointed out that I do this, so I guess I believe them.

I don't know what I sound like any more. People know I'm a foreigner of some description. I was with a Ghanaian woman for a while, and the security in the buildings tends to be Africans, they saw me sometimes with the Ghanaian woman and somehow figured out I was African. Other people think I'm English, Scottish, NZ, Aussie... and, Irish. I think that's the lot.

Having said all that I was doing this swim along the side of Wexford, and I saw some women on a beach, so I hopped out of the water to ask them something. I suppose I was a bit cold and I wasn't thinking about speech, but I heard them talking to themselves as I walked back to the water and one of them accused me of maybe being a yank. So... yeah, dodgy enough sounding possibly.

Most peoples accents are malleable. But I empathise iwith the mindfuck element 100%.

You're moving to West Cork though, so your accent is going to sound strange to them no matter where you're coming from. It's a very distinct accent.

I worry if I ever have kids, and I ever move home, that the kids are going to get so much shit in school. How do(es) your kid(s) feel about the idea?

Most peoples accents are malleable. But I empathise iwith the mindfuck element 100%.

You're moving to West Cork though, so your accent is going to sound strange to them no matter where you're coming from. It's a very distinct accent.

I worry if I ever have kids, and I ever move home, that the kids are going to get so much shit in school. How do(es) your kid(s) feel about the idea?

They're into it. They've been to Ireland a few times, they know the deal pretty much. Granted they don't know the getting dark at 3 in the afternoon buzz, but they have some idea.

The only question they asked was if it was cooler than here, I said it definitely was, and they were sold.

It's good for kids to stand out from their peers a bit IMO. Builds character etc and their friends will be real friends

The daughter will be standing out at least anyway. She's been keeping everyone who'll listen closely informed on the status of her stuffed animals' romantic interests, virtually all of whom are "lesbian couples" at this point.

hmmm, I guess you're ultimately right lads.

All of my family and the in-laws are blow-ins to where they are except my Dad. I suppose it does build character. Not an easy ride though, but if the kids are cool with it then don't worry about it.
As long as they know that other people can be pricks, and I'm sure after a firm grounding on Thumped, you'll be able to explain that to them.

I'm quite pleased that i'm now a blow-in for life. I still dream in the area and the street where I grew up so it makes a change in waking life to be somewhere different.

I lived the first 3 years of my life in London. I had a cockney accent when we moved back to Ireland. I lost the cockney accent in a matter of weeks.

my aunties still slag me to this day about my cockney accent.

I was frequently called 'brit' in school because of my english birth.

none of it scarred me permanently

*someone please hold me*

one of the lads i was in school with was nicknamed 'thumper' because of his english accent. just because it was a word he pronounced differently, 'fumpa' to irish ears.

The kid has a bit of an American/Irish accent, which I blame @Jill Hives on.
The school seemed to think she was both of ours and would ask her how she was doing after any big US shootings and stuff like that.
She’s happy with it though and didn’t get any hassle for it in living in the sticks.

The kid has a bit of an American/Irish accent, which I blame @Jill Hives on.
The school seemed to think she was both of ours and would ask her how she was doing after any big US shootings and stuff like that.
She’s happy with it though and didn’t get any hassle for it in living in the sticks.
I met @Jill Hives once for 5 minutes and had an American accent afterwards

i once bumped into someone i knew from college who had become a TEFL teacher. she was out in vicar street with one of her classes. she was from ramelton in donegal and her class all spoke english with a little bit of a donegal lilt.

I worked in a class with a teacher from just outside belfast. Some of the kids said words like now and flower like we did. Funnier again because the kids were not irish

I’m not THAT bad. Now I sound Tipp, which is worse?
the tipp accent is a nice accent. It has a nice musical quality to it.

the American accent is grand too, except when someone is being really loud in a quiet(ish) setting. Suppose that probably reflects more on the person than their accent though.

I can't imagine you've ever been loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back