Returning emigrant, what dole can I get? (1 Viewer)

frona

Hello Thumped! I haven't posted on here in about 8 years, apologies.

I've been in London. Now I want to come back to Ireland. What dole would I be entitled to? I will be cohabiting with my partner and we have a baby. I'd like to know what the two of us could get between us, if anyone has any idea?

Aww, why's it awful?
Freebooters? Freeloaders more like!
Anyway, we don't want/plan to be on the dole. I just want to find out whether we're going to starve on the side of the road if we don't find jobs when we come back. The worse would be coming home and then ending up having to slink back to London AGAIN.

Thanks Scientician, but I find that site hard enough to understand. I want someone to tell me the exact monies without me having to look at complicated forms. I'm already trying to figure out how to get my tax credits off the Brit government. The form is a nightmare.
Maybe ring social protection here before you leave London and ask them exactly what paperwork they need from you. They'll be able to fill you in on entitlements & rates too.

Thanks Scientician, but I find that site hard enough to understand. I want someone to tell me the exact monies without me having to look at complicated forms. I'm already trying to figure out how to get my tax credits off the Brit government. The form is a nightmare.

If you apply for JSA, they'll ask for bank statements and details of current employment and may ask you about other assets, if I'm reading the JSA link correctly, you, your partner and child could be entitled to a maximum of €341.80 per week. However, it is reviewed on a case by case basis.

JSA is means tested & stuff like free board & lodgings if you're staying with family temporarily or money you have in the bank will be assessed.

This is a fairly comprehensive and straightforward guide -
Irish citizens coming or returning to Ireland
As others have said, if you have Social Insurance contributions from the UK, you may be able to get those transferred over to IRE and therefore might be able to claim for Jobseeker's Benefit, if you've enough PRSI contributions, while you wait for/apply for work.

Allowance based Department of Social Welfare payments are means-tested and based on income (which includes savings/investments etc). If you don't have enough PRSI to claim benefit-related payments, you may have to wait for a period (as you are establishing residency again) before you can apply for Allowance-based payments.

As already posted by a few people there's a lot of potentially useful information on the Citizens Information website. If you have questions further to reading the online documentation - for instance, if you need to discuss the specifics of your own circumstances more - you should give CIPS (Citizens Information Phone Service) a call. The staff tends to be very knowledgeable (I know someone who works there).

Citizens Information Phone Service

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back