Rethinking the City 08 (1 Viewer)

broken arm

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Friday 4th April 2008 | 9.00 - 17.30 | [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]120 until March 10th ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]150 thereafter)
Bookings 01 674 5773 or www.cultivate.ie

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]"De-carbonising our Urban Environment"

Supported by Dublin City Council, Comhar (the National Sustainable Development Council) and the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

It has become clearer that we are facing, not a climate crisis or an energy crisis per se, but a systemic crisis for which we are woefully unprepared. Many cities around the world have sustainable development plans in place, some have strategies to reduce greenhouse gases and a few are even planning for the decline in global oil production. It is only the minority, however, who are daring to tackle the issues of sustainability, climate change and oil depletion together. We now urgently need an integrative approach to forge new strategies for local government and to create community responses to these challenges.

How we do this will be the focus of this year
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]’[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]s Rethinking the City. With the key focus on cities, participants will hear about the major challenges likely to arise from climate change and peak oil. The conference will explore systems thinking, ecological design, urban food systems, transport and other strategies for reducing energy use in the built environment. Leading international speakers will introduce integrative approaches to planning and development that foster community resilience and sustainability.

Full Schedule

09.00 - 09.20 Registration

9.25 - 09.30 Opening
Noel Casserly, Director of Comhar, the National Sustainable Development Council, opens and introduces Minister Ryan.

09.30 - 09.40 The Energy Context
Minister Eamon Ryan, Department of Communication, Energy and Natural Resources, outlines the challenges cities face from an energy perspective.

9.40 - 9.50 The Challenge for Cities
Daniel Lerch, the Program Director of the Post Carbon Institute, a California-based think-tank, introduces the challenges for local governments in adapting to climate and energy uncertainty.

Session 1 - Thinking Together
We cannot overcome the problems of the negative impacts on the environment and increasing scarcity of natural resources one by one. Currently we try to resolve them incrementally and separately, but while certain indicators improve in the short term, the total health of the combined eco-system we depend on is in decline. Seeing the connection between this systems decline and the future welfare of our cities is critical if we are to future-proof our development plans. We therefore need a different approach, one where we focus on the cause of systems decline rather than on the symptoms of it.

9.50 - 10.00 The Planning Challenge for Cities
Dick Gleeson, City Planner, Dublin City Council, introduces the planning challenges for local authorities with case studies from Ireland, Sweden and the United States.

10.00 - 11.15 The Natural Step Experience
John Harrington and Michael Donnelly of RealEyes Sustainability Ltd. lead an interactive session on the pitfalls of reductive planning and the merits of systems thinking. They demonstrate how planning techniques based on a systems perspective is both a necessary and attractive option - leading to reduced costs and resource use and great ways of getting the right people involved in your decisions.

11.15 - 11.30 Break

Session 2 - Eco Cities
Natural systems are characterised by closed loops of energy and materials where a complex of interlocked functions builds diversity, stability and abundance. Human systems are generally characterised by a simplification of structures and functions, disconnected
processes, resource flows which end in waste, and economics driven by scarcity.

11.30 - 11.45 Working with Nature for Regeneration
Erik van Lennep, TEPUI, introduces a range of technologies and integrated strategies that are being developed which work more closely with nature's designs. These offer the possibility for making our communities more sustainable, enjoyable, and more resilient to climate impacts.

11.45 - 12.00 Food Focused Urban Systems
Bruce Darrell of FEASTA (Foundation for the Economics of Sustainability) outlines that the food we eat follows a linear path from distant factories and farms through complex systems of processing and distribution before quickly passing through our cities on the way to waste management systems. One way to break this linear path is by developing integral approaches to food production in the urban environment. Urban food systems can also help to de-carbonise our cities, while improving food security and building social capital.

12.00 - 12.15 Scaling up the lessons from the Eco-Village
Iva Pocock, of Sustainable Projects Ireland Ltd., will explore the lessons that cities can learn from the experience of developing Ireland's first Eco-Village in Cloughjordan, North Tipperary. As a living community, The Village will develop a renewable energy district heating system, demonstrate ecological building and local food production, and foster community-level governance. Each home in the eco-village will be metered to measure energy use, and the whole process will be closely monitored to act as a model of best practice in sustainability.

12.15 - 13.00 Discussion facilitated by Davie Philip of Cultivate

13.00 - 14-00 Lunch

Session 3 Community, Transport and the Built Environment
Ireland faces a bleak future with our dependence on an unreliable supply of imported oil and gas, and impending penalties by the international community for our failures in meeting our Kyoto targets. A city's efforts to reduce its appetite for fossil energy will enable us to see an overall improvement in quality of life while also reducing our carbon emissions.

14.00 - 14.15 The Community Context
Megan Quinn Bachman, Outreach Director for The Community Solution in Yellow Springs, Ohio, details how communities can deal with the "converging calamities" of energy and climate.

14.15 - 14.30 Moving Around the City in the Future
Graham Lightfoot - Mendes GoCar Limited, looks at the need to be able to follow a decision chain, which goes... "Can I walk there, wheel myself there, be pushed there; cycle there; get there on public transport or by taxi". He will demonstrate that how we live should determine our mobility not the other way round. He will explain his work with Cork City Council on creating a car share service for Cork.

14.30 - 14.45 Reducing Energy Use in our Buildings
Well-known Irish environmentalist and broadcaster, Duncan Stewart, explores how we can energy proof our built environment. Duncan argues that we face difficult times ahead if we do not have strong leadership and commitments from the government to promote renewables and disincentivise the use of fossil fuel.

14.45 - 15.30 Discussion Facilitated by Sustainability Consultant Gavin Harte

15.30 - 15.45 Break

Session 4 - Is your City Ready?

15.45 - 16.30 Is Your City Ready for Climate Change and Energy Disruption?
Daniel Lerch is the author of Post Carbon Cities: Planning for Energy and Climate Uncertainty, the first major municipal guidebook on peak oil and global warming. Daniel is a Program Manager with Post Carbon Institute, and has worked in urban planning for over ten years in the public, private and non-profit sectors.

16.30 - 17.30 Plenary Discussion
Paul Allen, the Development Director of the Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) in Wales, will chair and launch this final session with an introduction to [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]‘[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Zero Carbon Britain[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial]’[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] - the new ground-breaking report to emerge from the leading thinkers and scientists at CAT and the Public Interest Research Centre (PIRC).

Supported by Dublin City Council, Comhar (the National Sustainable Development Council) and the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

Who Should Attend?
Planners, architects, urban designers, traffic engineers, city councillors, city development boards, civil servants, property developers and businesses, environmental and Agenda 21 officers, community organisations, environmental NGOs and concerned citizens.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]120 until March 10th ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]150 thereafter)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
Who Should Attend?
Planners, architects, urban designers, traffic engineers, city councillors, city development boards, civil servants, property developers and businesses, environmental and Agenda 21 officers, community organisations, environmental NGOs and concerned wealthy citizens.
[/FONT]

fixed that for ya

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT]

I'd say my carbon footprint has increased enormously since moving to the countryside. I drive 20mins each way to work (as opposed to cycling), my water gets pumped up from a well 300ft underground and passes through 3 electrically-powered filters before being fit to drink, I have to drive to buy my groceries, and organic and local stuff is seldom available when I do. And, funny enough, we grow less of our own food than we used to when we lived in Dublin (though changing that is part of the Master Plan).

Lucky most people live in cities. We did our bit, y'know - insulated the house well, and our heat comes from a wood pellet boiler, but living in the countryside you just need to drive and that's that. Looked into biofuels for the van, but now everyone's bitching about them too

south_park_smug.jpg

Conceivably I could get my work to pay for a ticket to this...otherwise I shan't be attending. What with the €120 and all.

sounds interesting. are you going to this BA?

no.

i would add a word of caution to the depth content and scope of speakers. Some of the presentations are only 10 minutes long and the workshops are short.

so it'll probably be introductory.

The planet's fucked.
Unless someone starts talking about serious population control, all the guilt-saving recycling plans etc. in the world aren't going to amount to shit.

You want to reduce your carbon footprint?
Stop having so many bloody kids.

one thing i'm not clear on with the eco-eugenics groups is how they calculate the relative weighting of impacts of consumption against particular trajectories environmental/social/economic degredation. Most of the people that i see talking about the "population problem" are fairly elderly middle class ex-academics living in big cottages in cornwall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back