Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

The Rustic Stone on Georges Street. Dylan McGrath's new place.

Shite.

The big gimmick is that when you order a steak (and there's not much to order except steak), they sear it in the kitchen and then bring it to your table on a hot stone. You then essentially finish cooking it yourself, whatever way you want. Immensely stupid idea. If I am going to pay almost 30 quid for a steak I want the cook in the kitchen to cook it for me.

There is shag all to eat except steak. The steak was nice but if you don't feel like steak you're pretty screwed. You can also have tuna steak or halibut (I think). They do something called fish in a bag that consists of mackerel but they didn't have any mackerel when I was there. You can also have Pork Belly. For vegetarians - a complete disaster. You can have - and I kid you not here - pasta. Or you can order a salad but be warned, a salad literally means a load of rocket. A meal-sized salad is just a really big bowl full of rocket.

Oh yeah .. you have to order a side dish to go with your steak (bear in mind here that steaks cost from 20-30 quid). A portion of fries will cost 4.50 and in my portion there were seven chips! Admittedly seven big chips ... but all the same ...

Deserts were pretty crap too. Coffee mediocre.

And it's really expensive. Avoid like the swine flu.

The more I think about it the more annoying it gets.

In contrast to this, I had dinner before Xmas in a place called the Triple House in Termonfeckin (Louth). Set menu for 20 euros (or 30 euros if you have the steak). I had the steak. I didn't have to cook it myself and it was delicious. Starter and desert also delicious. They also do the most amazing little garlic potatoes I've ever had. Top marks. Why is it so hard to find somewhere in Dublin that does this? It's not exactly rocket science ....

Just wondered if Hobart's is still open in Ranelagh?

Am staying in the area on Friday night and was hoping to pop in for breakfast on Saturday morning. As it's one of my few good memories of the place!

I have been addicted to Yum Thai on Baggot Street for months now. 5.50 for a shedload of food and it's gorgeous, well most of it is anyway. The Red Curry is my fave, but the Green is nice, as is the Chili Beef. The Pad Thai isn’t great, I’ll admit and there are a few dishes I’ve had that have been forgettable, but for a fiver (with student discount) there are 4 or 5 dishes that will fix just about any shit day in work (with or without hangover)

Mao just opened up a noodle joint directly across the street from Yum Thai (pricks). It’s 7.75 for a plate of food and while it may be marginally more exotic. 7.75 ain’t lunch in the staff room prices for me. Food is good though.
There is also a sushi and curry place two doors down from the Thai lads, but their food is pretty bland and it would take more sushi than I could possible afford to make me full.

What is up with a little Asia town on Baggot Street? Its fairly handy for me because I’d rather never eat another Spar sandwich and I am tired of paying 6 quid for a Pablo Picante burrito (and still being a bit hungry when I finish)

took the folks to the celt on talbot street at the weekend, i'm just around the corner from it. very decent pub food. same kitchen as le bon crubeen.

and i had a breakfast pie and a cappuccino in hipster cafe love supreme in stoneybatter this morning. honestly, both were incredible. the pie had a layer of tangy relish, a layer of like scrambled egg, and a layer of bacons. fancy coffee served at room temp so you knock it back in seconds.

Lovinspoon hipster greasy spoon on north frederick street.

I've only ever had breakfasts in here, which always come out quick and hot. coffee is strong and boiling.

clientele range from handsome thirtysomethings (me) to aul ones.
on the radio: joanna newsom/radiohead.

nice spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back